Lee PrecisionWidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingLoad DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox

Thread: Looking to borrow a 16ga dent puller

Looking to borrow a 16ga dent puller

Hi guys,

I have a 1953 Ithaca 37 featherweight in 16 gauge that was my grandfathers that has a small dent in the barrel about 6" from the muzzle of a 30" Full choke. Its just barely visible when looking down the muzzle using a strong light.

Would anyone here loan me a barrel wedge dent puller for a short period so I can tap out the dent? I just know its not a difficult job and it can be relatively easy to tap the dent out with the right tool. I didn't want to take it to a smith and have it sit on the back burner this close to the hunting season here in the North East when I know I can do it myself.

If interested in letting me borrow the tool...let me know, I'll certainly pay all shipping.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

If you cannot obtain a 16ga dent remover, you might want to try to cast a hard round ball & dress it down to .662" (+/-), then roll it down the barrel from the chamber end until it reaches the dent.

The ball then could be tapped through the dented area from the chamber end with a stout cleaning rod (with a large enough jag on the tip).

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Grand Master

I turn a bore diameter plug from brass and tap it through the dent area and back out again, NOT through the choke. If you can measure I have them on hand in many different diameters. Since 16 is almost a dead item here I never could see buying another hydraulic in that gauge.

Boolit Master

A 20 gauge with a shim taped on will work and is much more common than a 16.

I think I'm all set. A forum member sent me a PM and has one available. I believe I should be able to tap out the dent in short order. I'll be up in NH next weekend with the gun for some squirrel and crow shootin... I'm really looking forward to getting the old Ithaca out in the field again. It hasn't seen action in over 30 years due to some conditional issues. It was one of those firearms that was taken out but never cleaned either....I guess my grandfather wasn't much for cleaning his guns. When I got it the action was pretty "gritty" for lack of a better term....I factory stripped it, cleaned/degreased it, then fixed a crack in the stock using waterproof glue. I installed a left hand safety bar and used some CLP on all moving parts...its smooth as silk now. It feels real good to be able to get it back in a usable condition again.

Thanx for everyone's input and suggestions. I do appreciate it.

redhawk

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

My search is back on.

The dent anvil on the homemade tool I received was just a bit too large (0.665") for my 16 gauge. My dent is closer to the muzzle than I remembered...its about 1" in. My muzzle diameter is 0.634" for this 16 gauge full choke.

If someone has a 20 gauge (I'll shim) or 16 gauge tool and you'd be willing to loan it out...I'll pay postage both ways.

Let me know.

redhawk

Boolit Master
    years ago i got a set of 3 brass expanders (12, 16, 20) at an auction for a dollar, because nobody else knew what they were...

Quote Originally Posted by justashooter View Post
    years ago i got a set of 3 brass expanders (12, 16, 20) at an auction for a dollar, because nobody else knew what they were...
    Would you be willing to loan them to me for a short time? As indicated in the first post...I'll pay shipping both ways.

My dent is small...and its about 1" in from the muzzle of the full choke. It should be a real easy operation since its visible from the muzzle.

Let me know....

redhawk

Boolit Master
    can't seem to find them. they were solid brass slugs in bore diameter about 3" long and partly split in thirds, expanded by turning a bolt into the threaded center of the split slugs, then driven into the bore with a rod and mallet. when using a fitted or expanded slug to push out dents a brass headed mallet should be used to relieve the steel of the barrel on the exterior. if this is not done the stretched area residual to pushing out the dent remains as a bulge. it is trickier than it looks. did such repair some years ago on a franchi alumalite in 20 gauge that i still have.

OK...if you find them...please let me know...I have a brass hammer and that is my plan to give light taps to remove the dent and keep the outer barrel flat without bulging it. I just have to find the right diameter for the inside to match the dent. I'm going to move forward as well and see if I have a chrome socket that fits the bore diameter at the bulge and see if I can work that as an internal anvil when using my brass hammer. (it's a very light hammer too...I don't want to get heavy handed with a 65 year old barrel.)

Thanx...but yes...please see if you can find them....much appreciated.

redhawk