RepackboxRotoMetals2WidenersTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Lee Precision Load Data

Thread: WTS 1963-made H&R 30-30

In Remembrance

WTS 1963-made H&R 30-30

SOLD to Nueces
    Priority to local Houston-area sale but will consider shipping.
    This is a good one. Model 158 Topper 'Z' code next to patent number, no serial number, which indicates 1963-made if I am correct. I estimate over 90% condition, factory original, fine original bluing, excellent-plus bore, good color case hardening. Original sights. This is the best early one I've ever seen. I will include the correct scope mount and screws, 1" steel Weaver rings, and steel trigger shoe I took off it. Filler screws in place.
    Does not have the extra 20 gauge barrel.
    Wood is good to very good, no cracks, no dings, not sanded or refinished. Has the 'pistol' grip and H and R pad. Only flaw is a slightly cracked plastic fore-end spacer, easily and cheaply replaced, available from Numrich. I have not fired it, but did pull a factory round and popped the primer, good pin impact and ejection.
    Not good with posting photos, not too computer-savvy, but will try if necessary for 'shipping' sale. Will meet most anywhere Houston area. Will be at this weekend's Tomball, Texas gunshow, and upcoming local shows (no table).
    with similar vintage 30-30 Lee Loader complete with good condition original box and paperwork. If shipped, you pay actual shipping cost.

Sorry no photo, I'm just not good with it and can't find the darn cord., but I thought might as well post this, maybe add pic later. Don't hesitate to jump on this if you'd like to get this excellent early model. I don't think you will be disappointed in the least.
    Last edited by Rio Grande; 09-22-2018 at 10:12 AM.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    You might check the barrel twist and rifling form. Many H&Rs of that era used leftover M1 Garand barrel blanks of 4-groove, 1:10" rwist. Some later ones used M14 blanks of 4-groove 1:12" twust. All great cast boolit shooters!
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Reminds me of the write up about H&R 30-30's being the most accurate 30-30's on the market.
    Boy howdy was that a long time ago.

If I was still over in the west end of Liberty County I just might drop by to take a gander at that squirrel rifle.

Pics will sell it quicker. Courtesy bump.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Oh, geez, I'll take it. Willing to make a road trip for the trade, but we'll have to await a halt in this rain. PM inbound.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Pics will sell it quicker. Courtesy bump.

You are right, but I'm no great hand w/ posting pics.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by Nueces View Post
    Oh, geez, I'll take it. Willing to make a road trip for the trade, but we'll have to await a halt in this rain. PM inbound.
    Thanks. Your PM responded to. I'll meet 1/2 way.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    You might check the barrel twist and rifling form. Many H&Rs of that era used leftover M1 Garand barrel blanks of 4-groove, 1:10" rwist. Some later ones used M14 blanks of 4-groove 1:12" twust. All great cast boolit shooters!
    Thank you Outpost. I did not know that.

Love them Toppers. That's a good deal, too. Ya'll get you a CFS while you're at it.

Boolit Master

Thanks for the good intel, Outpost. I got the little beauty home and the perfect 4 groove bore is indeed 12" twist. Hooaah!

Oh, and TbyG, I drove home by way of Fayetteville so I could stop by Orsak's Cafe for some liver'n'onions. Durn it, they were out, so I had one of their huge hamburger steaks instead.

Nice day, and thanks again to Rio Grande for a good trade. I've found a replacement forend spacer of blued steel and am looking for a metal trigger guard.

Thanks for the good intel, Outpost. I got the little beauty home and the perfect 4 groove bore is indeed 12" twist. Hooaah!

Oh, and TbyG, I drove home by way of Fayetteville so I could stop by Orsak's Cafe for some liver'n'onions. Durn it, they were out, so I had one of their huge hamburger steaks instead.

Nice day, and thanks again to Rio Grande for a good trade. I've found a replacement forend spacer of blued steel and am looking for a metal trigger guard.
    Over on GBO a guy sells brass trigger guards and forend spacers if your'e interested.

Boolit Master

Thanks, TbyG, I think brass would be too brassy. The fine bore on this one calls for blued steel.

In Remembrance
    Thanks, TbyG, I think brass would be too brassy. The fine bore on this one calls for blued steel.
    The bore is fine indeed. I see no problem with replacing the trigger guard and spacer, but I would hesitate to modify too much otherwise from original.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rio Grande View Post
    The bore is fine indeed. I see no problem with replacing the trigger guard and spacer, but I would hesitate to modify too much otherwise from original.
    You don't think there ought to be a Picatinny rail below the barrel?

Naw, replace the plastic parts (and keep the originals) and install a Skinner rear sight, with possibly a higher front blade. Oh, and take off that old, hard rubber butt pad.

In Remembrance
    I don't know. This vintage rifle was so fine and factory original I'd hesitate to modify it, butt plate and all.

You don't think there ought to be a Picatinny rail below the barrel?

Naw, replace the plastic parts (and keep the originals) and install a Skinner rear sight, with possibly a higher front blade. Oh, and take off that old, hard rubber butt pad.