WidenersLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can you be to nice and trusting????

Boolit Master

Too nice? Absolutely not.

Too trusting? Oh heck yes.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RED BEAR View Post
    i am going to disagree with most. i do not think you can be to nice. i would rather be taken advantage of on ocassion than to go through life thinking everyone was out to rip me off. and yes i have been taken advantage of at times i don't like it but if this is the price of being able to think people are generally honest and good thats ok. i don't think i could stand going around feeling everyone was out to get over on me.
    Thank you, Red Bear, for the reminder,
    I was raised in a dysfunctional environment and did not learn some very important things that help with life.Many of those things involve dealing with other people. But I became a Christian when I was older and started learning a different experience. Still wasn't easy but by keeping in regular prayer and Bible study, my perspective has changed. I have had to learn what you stated. And I can attest that it is so very true. Life is so much better with the proper outlook or whatever you call it. I tend to get cynical and my emotions tend to misguide me. So I have to consciously practice trusting and accepting people. Yes I get burned sometimes but even that is not so bad when you don't hold a grudge.
    And I am supremely fortunate to have married a woman who is the ultimate truster. She keeps me humble and I like to think that I help keep her from getting taken advantage of. I was late becoming a Christian and late to get married but better late than never.

Boolit Master
    I had a guy was going to build a fence for me,needed it in a bit of a hurry,due to problems with the council......anyhoo,his price was avergage ,and he could start right away......he turns up,I says "ill pay cash the moment you finish".....nope he says....I need $2k for the materials .......I say .."I aint givin $2k to someone I just met."....net result.....I have to build my own fence,paid $2k for the steel,but its a nightmare with arthritic joints...and I still aint started.Expecting a letter from the council.....Maybe I should have trusted him?

Boolit Master

I hope it works out for you and the lack of response was just circumstances.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by clum553946 View Post
    I hope it works out for you and the lack of response was just circumstances.
    Ditto!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master
    My tactic for handling the homeless, panhandlers, etc. has changed a bit over the years. In my younger days I would always refuse. Lately when approached outside a donut shop I offer to buy a cup of coffee. When approached outside my wife's bank (employee - not owner ), I have asked if I can help to find a job. Done this hundreds of times and after a decade I think I've only bought one Coca cola, didn't mind one bit and generally feel good after the encounter even though being refused 99.9% of the time.

No I'm not going to spot them a $20 no matter how sad the story...

There's a huge difference between being generous and being gullible. Always help people when you can. Be trusting when the circumstances allow it.

But by the same token, if you're too trusting and you don't do due diligence on your day to day business dealings, you enable criminals or other ne'er do wells. We're responsible for our livelihoods and the assets of our families. We must be good stewards of our earthly bounty because we have to take care of our families. We have a more difficult time doing so if we're getting taken to the cleaners too often.

Bear in mind, too, that when you give overly much in suspicious circumstances, you're not helping as much as you may think. It's easy to give someone cash. It's not so easy to take a stinky vagabond into a restaurant and buy him lunch. Or take him to a truck stop or halfway house so he can have a shower and possibly some cleaner clothes. THAT takes work and generosity.

But giving money to someone? Usually just enables whatever problem caused them to need it in the first place. And yes, family is the worst.

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

Boolit Master
    Yes, I have been too trusting. I can think back on the times I've gotten the financial short end of the stick and it has been because of professing "Christians". Now, whenever someone makes a big deal about their walk with God I tend to give them a wide berth if money is involved.

Boolit Master

Mathew 10, verse 16.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Master

There are two types of people. Those you can trust and those you can not trust.
    I have learned never to give cash to someone. If they are hungry I will buy them a sandwich. I they ask for gasoline I will buy them gasoline. This stops 90% of this type of panhandling. Houses are not lost to the bank over night. Medical treatment can not be refused.
    I worked at a food bank for several years. My guess is that 70% of the people were undeserving. Many were to lazy to work and had the attitude they were entitled to the handout. Many complained about pety items, such as the brand of peanut butter. We experienced theft many times. You must dwell one the minority you were truly helping.
    As to the advance of cash on a job,a valid contractor should have a line of credit,where they don't pay for materials for 30 days. They get the materials, get the job done, you pay them,they pay for the materials. If you want to help out the small guy,you buy the materials and have them delivered to the job site. Then pay the worker for his labor after the job is done.
    As for the motor, the seller knew he would need to pull the motor in order to sell it. I understand him leaving it in the car so the buyer could hear it run. But once contracted to buy it, I would give very little earnest money to pull it out.

Boolit Master
    wv109323, I also helped at a food bank for several months. I would have been happy with only 70% undeserving. From what I saw it was much higher. People coming in covered with tattoos and or reeking of cigarette smoke. Seems they had money for those. Lazy husbands or boyfriends setting on their fat ***** in the vehicle while the wife or girlfriend came inside to pick up the food while I also helped carry it out to the vehicle while said deadbeat played on his I-Pad. There were **** few that I didn't mind helping but after several months I called it quits.

Boolit Master
    Did you go back to the guys house/business?
    I had a guy paint my Mustang a few years ago. Several calls and voice mails got no response. A 40 mile trip to his place of business made all the difference. He wasn't trying to scam me, but just kept pushing my project back as other jobs came in.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Purcell View Post
    Yes, I have been too trusting. I can think back on the times I've gotten the financial short end of the stick and it has been because of professing "Christians". Now, whenever someone makes a big deal about their walk with God I tend to give them a wide berth if money is involved.
    I've had the same experience. When a business advertises as Christian owned and operated, I've learned to not do business there, because sure as shooting, they will try to screw the customer.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Well gents, I thought maybe I was coming across as a bit harsh. Glad to see I am not the only one that "sees" things.

I honestly think one can be to nice. I have had a few instances when I come across some one at my GC going outside the lines so to speak. I will inform them of the issue. Most will heed it,at least while I am there or in sight. Others, well let's just say I had to repeat myself and I tended to do it in another language and loud enough that I didn't have to tell them a third time.

No means NO.

Panhandling, just saw a thing on the noon news this past week. Woman dressed like she was down on her luck. Yet they caught her on camera walking a few blocks to her very new car.

I have heard and seen first hand people refusing a job because it didn't pay enough. Then in the next breath, ask for money.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    I've had the same experience. When a business advertises as Christian owned and operated, I've learned to not do business there, because sure as shooting, they will try to screw the customer.
    As my wife says, if you have to tell people that you're honest, something's wrong. There was a big car lot that opened up many years ago in the town I grew up near; the sign said "Integrity Cars" and had a big, prominent Christian fish symbol. They advertised heavily on the local Christian radio station. I was leery about them from the start. It turned out that they were just another sleazy used car lot. They didn't last long.

If you're "Christian" and honest in your business practices, then prove it. Be fair and honest in your dealings and word will get around. I also learned a long time ago to be just as cautious doing business with people you know from church. Just because they go to church and call themselves Christian, doesn't make them honest and trustworthy; and the more they brag about their honesty and religious piety, the more cautious you need to be in business dealings with them.

Sincerely Christian people shouldn't need to tell you how honest they are.
    Last edited by fatelk; 09-22-2018 at 08:12 PM.

Boolit Master
    FYI u paid for half a engine...I would grab a cutting torch and take what's mine

Boolit Master

In the past 20yrs since I got busted up and can't do upgrades and simple maintenance on my house. I've been screwed one way or another by every one I've ever hired to work on my home.
    The Last folks were from the GOVERNMENT. The "free" solar panels. SAVE MONEY ON YOUR ELECTRIC BILL.

It's a scam. SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA EDISON COMPANY installs Solar Panels on MY ROOF that feeds into THEIR POWER GRID. So they don't have to build new power plants. I still have to pay EDISON the same State Fees & Taxes and send a monthly check to Company in Texass. So far I'm paying about 6% more a month. And they damaged my house. And installed a new control panel. Everything was labeled and set for special circuits, 11 different circuits, now down to 8. And they follow no pattern at all.
    "We're from the Gov't, We're here to help.

The most chilling words in the AMERICAN Language.

And I have a dozen more.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    I have a hard to find set of dies for the 6.5X53R Dutch Mannlicher.
    I have offered sample cases, offered to form cases for free and described how to use 3 different other die sets to load their ammo.
    Not a one of the guys made any effort to try one of the alternate methods.
    I have even suggested they get a set of new dies from CH. They all complain about the excessive cost as if they just want my dies for cheap.
    I know the alternate methods work because I used one for several years.
    EDG

Boolit Master
    My hart has harden over time , I freely share kindness but that's about it . It's a learned behavior ! Probably 10 years ago a young man that lives in the area I operate a small businesses in approached me asking if a had any old pallets he could have to build a wheelchair ramp at a rental house his family just moved into , I know his family had previously lost their home do to foreclosure - so being our slow season at the shop the crew and myself decided we would build a nice ramp at this young fellas home . We went and purchased some treated timber , and set up a nice ramp with a sturdy handrail we were all feeling pretty good about our good deed for the day when someone mentioned - you don't think someone will slip and fall and sue you do you ? My happiness slipped out of me at that very moment and turned to concern .

Boolit Master
    yes 20 years ago when I was trying to get my business off the ground. I gave every one a "break" ok pay me on Friday when you get paid. or can you wait till my taxes come back. well Friday never came and those taxes are still out there floating around in the mail.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast