Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RepackboxWidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data

Thread: Sig P365 ?

Boolit Master

Sig P365 ?

Anyone own one? In my 63 years I've never owned a 9mm. Yet this one attracts me. It is appropriately sized for the cartridge and holds ten rounds in a standard magazine. Smaller and slimmer than a .38 J-frame in my front pocket. I fondled one two weeks ago and now I'm thinking I should have bought it on the spot because today I can't find one anywhere in the state. It has a regular rifled barrel, (looked good for Boolits), and comes up in my hand with the sights aligned perfectly. There's some buzz on the web-o-BS about primer drag and some issues with the early production guns, pins drifting and even some rumors of firing pin failure, although oddly no first hand accounts with pictures. The buzz is strikingly similar to what the mall ninjas typically say about the 1911. I'm hoping for some actual experience here, and an idea of the bore diameter so I can order the appropriate size die for the star.

Boolit Grand Master

I don't own one, but got to fiddle and shoot one of the newer production guns from a few months ago. I was entirely impressed with it. The owner had both a Glock 34 and this SIG P365 at the time, but has since sold the Glock. The Glock 34 is THE competition gun, yet we couldn't put up a respectable group to save our lives. After pulling out the SIG, he put up a 2" group at 25 yards first try! These were testing loads off sandbags, not offhand. At the end of the day, we were shooting as well with his SIG as I was with my best revolvers. I too heard about some issues with early guns, but this one has been flawless. I'm not a striker fan at all, I'll take a DAO before a striker, but this one's trigger is not bad at all. The only problem, they only trigger once, you have to rack the slide every time. This is a disqualify-er for me as a carry gun, but so many guns out there today are the same way now. Other than that, very good grip for a small gun, about the right weight, more accurate than I ever believed.

I liked it so much, I went out and bought a SIG P220, and I don't even like semi auto's.
    Last edited by megasupermagnum; 09-20-2018 at 08:43 PM.

Boolit Bub
    I want one, probably my next purchase.

Boolit Master
    Got one in early summer. It lives in my pocket in a DeSantis pocket holster. The 10 Round magazines are fine but are not what makes it work for me. The SigLite night sights are great and appropriate, the trigger is great for a striker fired gun, the grip angle is right and a quick presentation has the sights where I need them, the gun is tight and makes surprisingly small groups, very comfortable to shoot, doesn’t torque to the side like my Glock 43, is a quarter inch shorter than my Glock 43. Mine gets fed lots of super cheap factory fodder. For serious duty it runs on 5.5 grains of a mil-surp powder that’s a dead ringer for AA#5 and a NOE cup point 135 grain boolit. That load will stop in the fourth gallon jug and usually rupture it’s back wall. The first three get popped like balloons. It’s heavy duty performance in a very small package.

I expect it’ll take some time for them to saturate the market. All summer gun shops sell them literally the same day they get them. That’s how I got mine. I went in my LGS to pick up a P226 I had ordered and they saved one of the two P365s they got in a couple of hours before. I had been looking for one, looked it over and added it to the bill. That was an expensive day, but I don’t have any regrets. I’m very happy with both.
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Boolit Bub
    I absolutely don’t care if a striker fired gun will only trigger once. If I have a failure to fire, especially in a defensive shooting, I am going to rack the slide to get that round out of there. That is standard training for a failure to fire. I don’t understand why I would want to give a possibly faulty round another chance, but that’s just me.

I like mine, but have different notes comparing it to the G43. IME, the 43 handles +P ammo much better. After one mag of +P ammo in my 365 I relegated it to standard pressure ammo only.

That said, the 365 trigger is significantly better, the std mag holds 10 rounds instead of 6 for the 43. Even with an expensive Taran Tactical +1 baseplate, the 43 still has a mag capacity of 7 compared to the 10 you get in the 365. I also have a couple of the 12 round mags for the 365 and they fit in a side pocket of my tactical pants perfectly.

I keep meaning to sell the G43, but I can't seem to do it even though I carry the 365 much more often now. However, even though the 365 is listed as ok with +P ammo I didn't like how it was running on my carry ammo and switched from the Federal HST 124 grain +P to the Federal 115 gr jhp (9BP) load.

Boolit Master
    Have any of you folks slugged the bore on your 365?

Boolit Master
    I have one and like it. I also have a Glock M26 and like it too. If I had to get rid of one I would get rid of the Sig.

Again I am not trolling, baiting or calling out anyone by my post. I mean no harm, hurt or anguish to anyone on here. This post is made based on my knowledge, experience and/or beliefs. Nothing more. Please take it that way. Thank you

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MtnGunner View Post
    I absolutely don’t care if a striker fired gun will only trigger once. If I have a failure to fire, especially in a defensive shooting, I am going to rack the slide to get that round out of there. That is standard training for a failure to fire. I don’t understand why I would want to give a possibly faulty round another chance, but that’s just me.
    I agree.

Boolit Master
    BD, I just slugged mine. Expanded a pure lead 0.350” ball in the middle of the barrel. The slug looked like a short wadcutter. Measured with a Starrett 0-1 mic. 0.357”

Also the barrel has a nice well cut throat. I can chamber the NOE 135 grain sized at 0.359”.

And the slide rails on the frame are 3.5” long. I think that gives the slide to frame fit a very tight feel that moves slick as butter.

By contrast, my Glock 43 has no discernible throat and only has the 4 stamped steel tabs for frame rails. Glock has a very loose frame to slide fit. I can rock the slide back and forth around the axis of the barrel when in battery and see the movement between the frame and slide. The gun works, it fires, but the groups I get at 15 yards are hard to keep on a piece of copy paper. The little Sig at 15 yards, I can keep them on a 3x5 card.

I’m not bad mouthing or complaining about my Glock 43. I knew what it was when I bought it and I’m keeping it. It’s a decent gun. My Sig is just a better gun. I’m carrying it.

Boolit Buddy
    BD, plenty of youtube videos of the issues with this particular firearm.

A couple really good ones that show exactly what the issue is. Seems Sig is getting them fixed so a "gen2" is out.

I'd get a newer one, they look handy.

Boolit Buddy
    kellilovesguns has a review worth watching

We switched over to Sig 226 for duty, so naturally, most are getting the smaller sibling for back up/off duty. One of my Lt's got one and took it to the range for practice. Some SWAT guys were there, and put it through their paces. They were impressed with it and some have since gotten them. I like the Sig triggers most, but converting from Glock takes alot of practice...

Boolit Master
    So I'm
    sold. Now I just need to find one. I see them on the web, but no telling how old of production those are. I think I want a new production gun. I'm a dinosaur. This will be my first 9mm, and my first plastic pistol of any sort.

Boolit Master
    Well if or when you find one it will be new production. They have all sold soon as they get out of the factory. No one is sitting on any. There isn’t any old stock, seldom any new stock either.

The rush will settle down, it always does. You might do well to order one.

Also I’ll put forth if it’s your first plastic auto, hold it firmly. In general the plastic autos are a bit more prone to limp wristing, especially with lightweight bullets. Mine don’t give me any trouble, but then I don’t give them a chance to.

Hope you get one soon. They’re fun.

Quote Originally Posted by BD View Post
    So I'm
    sold. Now I just need to find one. I see them on the web, but no telling how old of production those are. I think I want a new production gun. I'm a dinosaur. This will be my first 9mm, and my first plastic pistol of any sort.
    PM sent to you.

I'm one paycheck way from backordering one from brownells. Im new to 9mm as well. What mold would you recommend for the 365 ?