Load DataLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackbox
WidenersInline FabricationSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2

Thread: Any info on 40-82 range?

Any info on 40-82 range?

I have done decent research on 40-82, but nothing states potential killing range or effective range... I know its an express cartridge for long range, but what was "long range" in that time period?

Research "point blank range" and you'll find a range. You can also just get the ballistic coefficient (find similar bullet, or +2 calibers round nose bullet BC) and a velocity and then google search (or look at the tables in the back of a reloading manual) and see bullet drop. Range is usually a function of bullet drop rather than power, unless you're trying to kill something, then point blank range is better. Old timers used point blank range and IMHO it's the best way to do open sights.

Kev,
    There are a few variables floating in your question, or the answers.
    1) .40-82 has several incarnations. The .40-82 WCF is the most likely.
    2) The rifle used to fire it puts limitations on the loading of a round. Originally introduced for the 1886 Winchester, that round has to stack in the tube and feed through the action. For starters. Also rifling twist rate, sights, etc.
    3) The load used in the cartridge: bullet weight, shape, seating, etc., etc.

Terms:
    A) Potential killing range - Not to be a smart hat, but that's like the warning label on a box of .22s, 'lethal to or past 1-1/2 miles'. The projectile is lethal (to what?) until it loses energy below some value, or something stops it, like the ground.
    B) Effective range - A slippery term with various definitions depending on topic of military use, hunting or target shooting, but mostly hovering in a description that some 'average shooter can put the round on the target (of some size defined) some percentage (pick a goal) of the time.

So, a normal factory round through a lever action '86 used for hunting, with iron sights, on deer, first shot might be accurate for the need (paper plate size area) for some shooters, in the 150 yard realm, give or take.
    Run through a single shot, with carefully tailored loads, with good sights and shooting skills, might push that accuracy out toward the 800 or 1000 meter target for that same first shot.

I'd go with, "it varies".

Banned
    The original 40-82 was not a hot rod and used an odd .406-8 bullet.

There is loading data for it in Water's Pet loads.

I built one a few years back on a modern High Wall with a .411 bore. It was quicker than a 400 Whelen.

Mine is an original 1886. 260 grain lead bullet. .406 dia. around 1500fps. 34 grains IMR 3031 with cornmeal filler. ( I tried every load out there and this is the only one that worked. I know people have mixed opinions about fillers but it works for me.)

I know it was a cartridge for elk, and elks are pretty big. What was the hunting ranges in those times? The 40-82wcf was made in 1885 for the highwall I think. And scopes weren't abundant. So an educated guess would be that most people hunting didnt use one... which means the use of open sights. Like me.

What I dont get is that it is an express cartridge. Meaning that its flat shooting and better for long distances. But wouldnt that mean that it could crank the fps up alittle to? My rifle is all original. What happens to the barrel if i would add abit more powder? Im not even worried about the action, its more of slugging out the barrel after a few shots.(removing the rifling)

I have alot of articles from the 60's that people built new 1886's in this caliber but they changed out the barrels to modern steels. So they would almost push the bullets to 3000fps... not possible in my case so I dont bother looking at the results they mentioned in the writings.

I also probably will buy myself a Chrono, one day, it would help alot.