Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionWideners
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Inline Fabrication

Thread: Forming 45 Raptor cases

Boolit Bub

Forming 45 Raptor cases

What would be the best way to form a 270 or 30-06 case into a straight wall 1.8 case for a 45 Raptor ?

I do basically the same thing for the 44 version of the raptor (44x1.8") using .473" case head rifle brass. Generally I'll cut them off long as they'll shrink a little when expanded up. debur, anneal, run through a well lubed expander, resize, trim then ream if needed. I just made a quick expander stem to fit into a powder die, but you could also buy an M die.

I fire formed hundreds of 30-06 to make Raptor brass. Used a modified 06 barrel reamed out with a 45 Raptor finish reamer. Worked great with no issues. Once the brass is cut to length you still need to ream the neck so a .452 bullet will fit without bulging. After all this is done you have some very durable pieces of brass. Have ran them up to 68k (QL prediction)with no failures. Not that I suggest doing this.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	58.1 KB 
ID:	231801
    Last edited by Metrobluing; 12-09-2018 at 08:54 PM. Reason: Typos

Boolit Master
    Question? What tool could I use to ream the necks of .308 brass to accept a .452 boolit? Could anyone provide a link to such a tool that I could purchase? Would this operation best be accomplished by hand or with a drill press or lathe?

Thanks.

exile
    "There is not a single instance in history in which civil liberty was lost, and religious liberty preserved entire. If therefore we yield up our temporal property, we at the same time deliver the conscience into bondage." --John Witherspoon, The Dominion of Providence Over the Passions of Men. 1776

"The words of the Lord are pure words, like silver refined in a furnace on the ground, purified seven times." Psalm 12:6 (E.S.V.)

You'll need to expand up the cases and resize them first, but I use a forster case trimmer with a reamer pilot to trim to length and ream in one step. https://www.forsterproducts.com/prod.../neck-reamers/ You'll have to call them to order it as .450" isn't listed, you'll want one .002" under bullet size.

308's will sometimes want to leave a little bump where the shoulder was. Annealing, and several cycles of expanding/sizing can help minimize it until the cases get smoothed out by firing.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the reply. I see several places list a Forster .452 neck reamer (out of stock) but from what you are saying, that will not work, correct?

exile
    "There is not a single instance in history in which civil liberty was lost, and religious liberty preserved entire. If therefore we yield up our temporal property, we at the same time deliver the conscience into bondage." --John Witherspoon, The Dominion of Providence Over the Passions of Men. 1776

"The words of the Lord are pure words, like silver refined in a furnace on the ground, purified seven times." Psalm 12:6 (E.S.V.)

The "standard" reamers are for use with fired cases. Since you're case forming, a .452" on a formed/sized case will leave you with no neck tension. I have 4-5 of their undersized ones to use on "wildcats" or sized cases.

You can also neck turn on a case trimer with a turning head or a case turner. You mentioned a lathe. If you have a lathe you can turn an bullet sized arbor, push the cases on the arbor with the tailstock and turn the cases to the dia you want. The cases usually loosen up on the arbor once turned enough to pull off by hand, if not a piece of square key stock in the tool holder will let you grab the case mouth enough to push the case off without cutting the arbor or case like a lathe bit would want to do.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the clarification, .450 it is! I appreciate your responses.

exile

Boolit Buddy
    This is my next project, that's an amazing round

Boolit Buddy
    exile, I normally get my reamers from McMaster-Carr, https://www.mcmaster.com/chucking-re...ameter~0-4500/ for a .450 dia reamer. Note the shank is not turned down like the ones made for reloading, hold the case in the chuck and the reamer in the tailstock chuck. Price is $32.58 + shipping which is usually not excessive.

Steve

This is the setup I use to final trim and ream.

Why not just look at 460S&W cast boolit data?