WidenersReloading EverythingRepackboxLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 30-30 load request

Boolit Master
    Larry the information you present is fantastic. Based on a very long thread some time ago I have been using LVrev for some time with cast bullets fantastic velocity and the accuracy is as impressive. I appreciate the great information you provide.

If I was using a scoped 30-30 rifle, I would sight in like Larry posted and with masking tape, tape that data to the buttstock. My main range has a 200 yard berm, that’s basically one step (maybe 2) higher on the elevation ladder on a open sight from the 100 yard setting with a full power jacketed load.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    30 grains IMR 4064 under any 150 grain slug is deadly out of my Glenfield 30.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the info presented thus far.

My interest were in being able to get on target out to 300 yards with the scoped Marlin. I mentioned I've several powders but I was limited by some time constraints before getting to the range.

I used the Hornady 3035 150 rn bullet, Rem case, Win LR primers and an accuracy load from a Lyman manual with Win 748 powder, 33.8 grs. OAL to the crimp groove.

Started at 100 yds, 3 shots group centered well on target, a 100 yd 'D' reduction. I came up 4 MOA and fired 3 into a D repair center at 200 yds, group about 2 MOA a little high and left. Fired 1 round at a 10" swinger and hit it. Came up another 6 MOA, 10 total from 100, and fired 3 rounds. Group high, to the right some, with one round about 2.5" above the top edge of the paper. Approximate group size about 12". These was fired from prone with a sling.

At this point my back started to tell me it wasn't happy and I stopped for the day. Not a conclusive test but a point to start from again and try a few other loads mentioned here.

Besides the Win 748 I have IMR 3031, 4895, 4064. Also some Accurate 2230 and 2520. I want to use the powders I have on hand and use a few up before getting another.

Again, thanks for the help. 30CF.

Wouldn't a tight sling affect a tube magazine/ two piece stock lever action rifle adversely?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Wouldn't a tight sling affect a tube magazine/ two piece stock lever action rifle adversely?

I didn't use a tight sling, just snug. I couldn't attach it to the magazine band in place so I used a USGI web sling, looped up on my support arm and a small loop on the keeper end. That end was set to slip over the muzzle and have the keeper rest on the end of the forend. Even trying to be consistent it's something that needs to be worked on in future range sessions.

Although not tight it could have made a difference in grouping as the change in size from 200 to 300 was a lot. But with 3 rounds fired at each distance it's not enough to make any hard decision upon, other than another test with some more rounds fired will be in order. The next time I won't have 300 yds to work in though.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    If you're serious about accuracy in a lever action .30-30, you may want to look at getting one of the half magazine versions with no barrel band. My cheapo Glenfield 30 is bolt gun accurate with it's favorite load even though it has a skinny barrel and somewhat rough bore. I bet the 336XLR would be even better.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

I've yet to try Lever Evolution powder but Larry G and Popper are making me want to. If it works in any other caliber I load for....I bought some Superformance soon after it came out only to find it's Un- versatile. However it is flat magic in the 22-250 with higher velocity and great accuracy!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    If you're serious about accuracy in a lever action .30-30, you may want to look at getting one of the half magazine versions with no barrel band. My cheapo Glenfield 30 is bolt gun accurate with it's favorite load even though it has a skinny barrel and somewhat rough bore. I bet the 336XLR would be even better.
    There was an article in Handloader magazine that I understand as the magazine dilemna can be overcome by not filling the entire mag. I loaded 3 rounds, levered in the first and started firing the groups. There were only 2 rounds max in the magazine at one time.

I think this would act in a similar manner as a half magazine rifle.

You should try it. Works great for 30/30 & 308MX. SIL got 3 shot cloverleaf @ 100 with the MX (factory FTX) vs my FTX reloads with LeverE - he also got a pretty good sized pig with it. It does work and works well with cast. Hot loads in the MX are worse than dove loads in a 5# 12ga SS high drop stock. It should work OK in 308W, just never tried it. The faster pressure curve , maybe a compressed load from the factory?
    Whatever!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12