Reloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2RepackboxLoad Data
Titan Reloading

Thread: Frankford Arsenal Hand Deprimer Mod

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance

Frankford Arsenal Hand Deprimer Mod

I think it was someone on here that suggested wrapping the handle on this unit with Tennis Racket handle tape.

It really needs it, as even my huge paws were getting tired of being chewed on by the metal handles on the unit!

I put some Wilson tape on there, and it REALLY makes it a LOT more pleasant; Now I wish I'd done that about 500 rounds earlier!

Have to probably put a turn of Electrical tape on there to get the racket tape to stay, quite doable. For now a rubber band's working.

FAR more pleasant!

That is a good idea. That grip does hurt. I'll have to try it myself.

You will LIKE it I imagine anything that covers the serrations will make it far more pleasant. Wish I'd invented it but if I was the first to get one of these, I'd have been one to fix it. Next I'll get that 3d printed attachment that gives you a tube to a primer container, that'll make life with this easier. I have *cough* "a few" more cases to deprime LOL!

Hmmm Paracord wrap perhaps? Thinking this might be a good idea.

Boolit Master
    I just wear a glove. Also shoot the primers into an old pickle jar.

I really like this FA depriming tool. The little vial that collects the primers is worthless so I just leave it off and work over a waste basket. It has a pretty tough pin. I've decapped several hundred military 223 case with the primer crimp and haven't broke or bent a pin yet. Well worth the money that they cost. Gp

wonder why they did not spend a few cents more for a small amount of rubber coating on the grip and lever. sorry stray thought on that.

thanks for the tip on the sports wrap, may pick some up next time I head to the world of wally

Boolit Master

"Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

I never have managed to remember to buy dip, maybe next time I hit the hardware store

Boolit Buddy

Not sure what its called but its like electricians tape but 10 times as thick pretty sure its used it splices and such...anyhow I wrapped mine with that then covered it with a good electrical tape and that really helped with the hand pain!
    "Yes or no will almost always suffice as the answer"

Loudy13 that is similar to tennis racket tape. I git the thicker version, maybe you bought the thin?

So, found out real fast that the ribbed metal handles suck on these. Saw the suggestions to use Tennis Racquet Wrap so bought a pack at Walmart - vast improvement in comfort but still rough doing lots of crimped primers like LC, etc. Found that if you sit in a chair and use the top front edge of the seat between your legs for leverage, pushing down on the actuator lever, that it takes a lot of strain off your hand.

I also grew weary of the small plastic primer catcher so improved on it with a trip to Home Depot and Ace Hardware. This $4 Everbilt 3/8" Barb x 3/8" MIP Adapter from Home Depot, 4ft of 3/8" ID x 1/2" OD clear flexible vinyl tubing from Ace, and a 1.75" piece of a large Starbucks plastic straw was all it took.

Removing the stock primer catcher, there is a short barrel stub that the primers pass through. The OD of the barrel is slightly larger than the smooth internal bore of the MIP end of the brass adapter. I took my Dremel tool and using one of their 3/8" Cylinder Grinding Stones, carefully enlarged the bore of the brass fitting until it could be forced tightly onto the barrel stub by tapping it with a small hammer.

The 1.75" piece of Starbucks straw is inserted into the barrel tube from the breech end until it bottoms out in the tip of the barbed end. Its purpose is to bridge a small gap between the barrel stub and the barbed tip to prevent possible primer jams.

For a primer catch reservoir, any small plastic soda bottle will work - just drill/enlarge a hole in the cap until the 1/2" OD discharge hose fits snugly. When full, twist off the cap and dump into your yellow brass recycling stash!

Straw installed

Good idea! There's another adapter like that made by 3d printing, it costs $11 or so though, yours beats it on price!

Yeah, a friend who talked me into getting one of these also did a home-build work around on the primer catcher on both of ours, but I still need to coat the handles on mine with something. The bare metal is just way too hard on the hands when doing large batches of brass ...

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Painters' tape to hold the extra collets is a great idea!

I found 10 grip wraps on the evil auction site for cheap, but did have to wait a while for arrival.