Lee PrecisionWidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky

Thread: How much does PC add to diameter?

Boolit Master

How much does PC add to diameter?

I want to start PC coating 230gr 45 acp cast bullets. I want .452 final diameter, with WW bullets dropping from my mold at .4535. How much diameter does PC add, and can I size directly down from that diameter to .452 without wrecking the coating?

Boolit Buddy
    PC coating adds about .001 to .002 to the diameter of the boolit based upon how thick it is applied and yes you can size them directly without damaging the powder coating. It is recommended that after you apply the PC you should to a hammer test to make sure the PC adheres correctly to the boolit.

Boolit Buddy

Should be no problem. Use a lee push through sizer they slide through easier with PC than lube IMO.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    ^^^ good answers above. I can size a .460 boolit down to .452 in two steps without damaging the PC.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

A forum member PCed some bullets for me so I could test before buying the material. I gave him 50 new cast bullets from a Beagled mold that had been sized to 0.380".
    When they were coated they measured between 0.382" and 0.3865" with the majority and average at 0.3835". He used HF red powder if that might make a difference. They passed the bench vice and smash tests
    I took 15 of the 0.3835" bullets and loaded 5 unsized, 5 sized to 0.380" and 5 sized to 0.379" in one step. I did have to give them a little wipe of Ben's Red to prevent them getting stuck in the sizing die but they came through just fine. The lube was then wiped off the bullets.
    I did forget that the ogive increased in diameter too and I had to adjust the seating die to get the OAL I wanted.
    All groups were under 2" at 100 yards, but in my opinion the 0.380" grouping looked "tighter". The weather was questionable so I did not chronograph the rounds. These results are a little better than the same load using "greasers". Next test - 200 yards.