Snyders JerkyRepackboxLee PrecisionLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Wideners Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .38 S & W cal.

Boolit Mold

.38 S & W cal.

What is the correct bullet diameter for this caliber? I think it is a few thousandths larger than .38 Spl--correct? Anyone know of a source for the bullets? Midway has the brass, it seems, but they don't show the bullets on their site. I'm interested in the bullets or a mold of the correct size. Thanks, Pete

Best bet is to measure your bore. From my experience bore sizes are all over the place with .38 S&W. My Colt PP in .38 S&W shoots very well using bullets sized to .359".

Boolit Master

I used to load a HORNADY HBWC. Gave me pretty decent accuracy at 50ft.
    Never tried a cast bullet. Didn't have anything that would drop at .360 or larger.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Grand Master
    Yessir--the throats vary considerably. Colt Police Positive x 4" is .359", S&W Regulation Police is .361", and a Webley-Enfield and S&W M&P that served the British Empire during WWII both measure .363". I use pin gauges to measure these throats, most gunsmiths or machinists can find this measurement for you if you aren't equipped to do so. Well-fit bullets in 38 S&W can be SUPERBLY accurate, if the sights are sufficient to the task. The Colt PP and the S&W M&P have decent service sights--the other two, well.......
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook recommends a .360. Ideal/Lyman made a number of molds in .360 fours with the 38 S & W cartridge (not 38 Special). I had several that I sold just a few weeks ago that were older Ideal molds in .360.

As mentioned, slug your bore and check your throats - that will tell you. Also, if you don't have a copy, I'd recommend you get one of the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbooks - I have all four editions and all contain excellent information. In fact, there is an on-ine copy that you can download of the 3rd edition - I don't have the link handy but perhaps someone on here can post it for you.

Also, check Starline for brass - I believe they have it. Check with the vendors on here to see if any of them make boolits in .360. If you don't cast . . . I can't think of a better reason to start!

Banned
    38splpete,

In my experience, ANY hollow-base OR "cup-base" lead boolit that works for .38SPL will work FINE in the .38 S&W, as that hollow or "cupped" base spreads out to fill the barrel quite well.
    (I once owned a Enfield-made WWII "Commando" revolver, which had a badly worn barrel that was about .364 but 148 grain HB lead wadcutters did FINE in it out to 25M plus.)

IF you don't load .38SPL OR cannot find a hollow/cupped base mold to cast them, you might do well to find a "dedicated" CB mold that is .360 or larger for SOME .38 S&W revolvers, by BSA or Enfield.

yours, tex
    Last edited by texasnative46; 09-20-2018 at 02:17 PM. Reason: typo

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    I size all my bullets to .360 for use in 2 Colt Police Positive 38's and 2 S&W Regulation Police. Works well.

I did the same as TN46 with my Enfield so long ago. Speer swaged hbwc and a custom front sight made my .38 S&W a turtle killer. My older brother still has that gun but he only shoots 146gr lrn factory loads in it. Nothing wrong with the sights on an Enfield; sharp and square.

Boolit Buddy
    Lyman 358071, 145 grain round nose (.360 as cast), a .030 card wad, on top of 12 grains of GOEX FFFg, manages about 650 fps and is quite accurate in an 1894 vintage Iver-Johnson Safety Hammerless. It'll knock down "Pepper Poppers" without trouble at 15-20 yards while the flame and smoke bewilder the RO. I haven't fired over a hundred rounds at a time so can't say when fouling becomes a problem. Same bullet over 2.5 grains of Bullseye is just the ticket in a Colt Police Positive (it doesn't much care for the "Holy Black.")

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	38cal-2nd-model-safety-hammerless-right.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	23.1 KB 
ID:	227412

For loading .38-200 in British service revolvers, the NEI #169A, 200 grain round nose, sized to .362 over 3.5 grains of Unique is OK. This is how it looks on a B-16 target at 25 yards off hand. Six o'clock hold and three cylinders full on each target.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Q2179(2).jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	72.0 KB 
ID:	227408Click image for larger version. 

Name:	38-200 19 Apr(2).jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	81.0 KB 
ID:	227409Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BSR 881544.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	60.9 KB 
ID:	227410Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BSR target 19 Apr.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	74.6 KB 
ID:	227411

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Accurate has several designs intended for the .38 S&W in various bullet weights so that you can pick the weight needed to shoot to your revolver's fixed sights. I size .360 for my Colts and .362 for the S&Ws.

36-151H copies the factory .38 Colt New Police bullet and approximates factory velocity with 2.5 grains of Bullseye.
    Attachment 227415 Attachment 227420

36-155D is based on the old 1920 Keith-Modern Bond design and 2.5 grains of Bullseye is a full-charge load.
    Attachment 227422 Attachment 227421Attachment 227423Attachment 227424

36-176P is an ogival wadcutter which shoots to the sights of most WW2 British military revolvers.
    Attachment 227416Attachment 227419

36-190T approximates the old .38 Super Police load using a flat-nosed bullet.

Attachment 227417 Attachment 227418
    Last edited by Outpost75; 09-20-2018 at 11:35 AM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Bullets 0.361" in diameter are specified for the 38 S&W cartridge.

Banned
    Tatume,

What is "specified" is often WRONG, especially in older firearms.

yours, tex

Quote Originally Posted by 9.3X62AL View Post
    Yessir--the throats vary considerably. Colt Police Positive x 4" is .359", S&W Regulation Police is .361", and a Webley-Enfield and S&W M&P that served the British Empire during WWII both measure .363". I use pin gauges to measure these throats, most gunsmiths or machinists can find this measurement for you if you aren't equipped to do so. Well-fit bullets in 38 S&W can be SUPERBLY accurate, if the sights are sufficient to the task. The Colt PP and the S&W M&P have decent service sights--the other two, well.......
    The only revolver I own in this caliber is a early 1950's Webley that is surplus from the Singapore Police. You are correct about the throats. I use a 200 grain clone of the original bullet made by Matt's Bullets. They come with the correct size and temper alloy. I used a load of 2 grains of Bulleye. The handgun and load are remarkably accurate both DA and SA. A fun gun for rolling beer cans in the South Texas brush.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Banned
    Char-Gar,

YEP. = In my college days/DAZE, I was employed as THE railroad detective for an industrial "short line" & routinely carried a WWII-era S&W Terrier as a sidearm.
    That 200 grain soft-lead bullet was plenty for self-defense & "splattered", rather than ricocheting if it hit a metal object in the railyard.

yours, tex

Quote Originally Posted by 38splpete View Post
    What is the correct bullet diameter for this caliber? I think it is a few thousandths larger than .38 Spl--correct? Anyone know of a source for the bullets? Midway has the brass, it seems, but they don't show the bullets on their site. I'm interested in the bullets or a mold of the correct size. Thanks, Pete
    Quote Originally Posted by texasnative46 View Post
    Tatume,

What is "specified" is often WRONG, especially in older firearms.

yours, tex
    I know that. The fellow asked a question, and I answered the question. He did not ask "what bullet diameter will shoot best in my revolver?"

Banned
    Tatume,

For "good quality", domestically produced .38 S&W revolvers, I'm sure that you're 100% correct but that is NOT so for some overseas revolvers in the .38 S&W caliber. = New WWII Enfield revolvers were often specified "within war service specifications" at .364.
    (I suspect that the reason for the long throat on some English revolvers was to accept "out of spec"/poorly stored ammo.)

For some CHEAPLY-made revolvers/ammo of the Pre WWI era, I wouldn't bet 10 cents what the specifications were, if any. = Bannerman's advertised/sold .38 S&W revolvers from Belgium for as little as ONE DOLLAR each.

OFF TOPIC NOTE: Some years ago, I acquired a circa 1930 Colt's Police Positive, as part of a trade of several firearms from an Austin Gun-show. - It was obviously a "returned Lend-Lease revolver", as it had British proofs added to the frame AND it was also crudely stamped in 2 places: NOT ENGLISH MADE.
    (I found that somewhat amusing as the Colt's factory markings said: Made in USA.)

yours, tex
    Last edited by texasnative46; 09-20-2018 at 05:11 PM. Reason: add

Boolit Master
    mine shoots .361

The handgun I wish I had back was a Colt Official Police 38/200. I lost it in the Great DeVorce of 94.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    if you're looking to buy bullets for reloading i would try gad custom car i think they can help you out.

Boolit Master
    I have a victory model s & w I use 356429 run through a .360 sizer to lube them they shoot right on worked the same for a friend that had a victory. he was a deputy sheriff. he carried it for his duty gun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast