Reloading EverythingWidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan Reloading
Load Data

Thread: Model K (short) Mauser

Model K (short) Mauser

I was leafing through my ctgs of the world book the other day and noticed there was some old European ctgs like the 8x52 that were designed for the old model K action mausers im guessing these were all pre ww2 maybe even pre ww1 . Anyone ever see one of these short action mausers? I know I never have , were they imported into the US ? curious if the action length itself was shorter or just a shorter box magazine because we're only talking a 5mm difference usingthe 8x52 as example .
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Yes, the action was shorter and offered in .250-3000 Savage for the American market. According to a reprint of a 1920's Mauser catalog. I'll see if I can find it- a for real wish book......

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    I had a K-action Mauser Model M carbine that I just sold earlier this summer.
    In cal 6.5 KP.,,that was one of the special calibers they came up with for the short action.
    KP stands for Kurzpatrone (short cartridge) I'm told
    It is actually a 6.5x54mm round. The case has the standard .470 Mauser size head and a rather long case neck.
    Not to be confused with the 6.5x54 Mannlicher Schoenauer round,,two different cartridges.

Yes the action is shorter than any off the other standard offerings.
    Mine was made in 1913 going by the ser# .
    The Model M carbine was the so called classic carbine with the flat/mannlicher type bolt handle, steel nose cap on a full length stock, DST, lever release hinged floor plate. Iron sights, trap butt plate (mine had the second style trap that opened from the top and hinged at the bottom). Options were a solid butt plate, or a hinged trap butt plate either opening from the bottom(#1 style) or from the top(#2style).
    Sectionalized cleaning rod was missing from the butt trap in my carbine,,can't have everything in a century old rifle I guess!)

A snappy looking and great handling little carbine. I loved owning it but like everything else they go on to another owner at some point.
    It was a beauty. No alterations, looked barely used.

Mauser made a Type M carbine later to go up against the Mannlicher Schoenauer competition. It had interestingly enough the standard Mauser pear shaped bolt knob handle instead. The stock had a schnoble tip instead of a steel cap at the tip of it's full length stock. It also had a second schnoble shaped just ahead of where your hand would grip the forend. Kind of a different look I guess.
    I prefer the Type S.

The K action could be ordered in just about any of Mausers standard sporting rifles or carbines (A, B, African, ect) along with a long list of options to be piled on as long as your wallet would support it.

Finding one still in it's original configuration is tuff. Many of the K actioned Mauser sporters were torn apart for their special actions back in the 40's, 50's and 60's to build dream rifles. Of course those sporters built on those actions for the most part have gained nearly nothing in value in comparison to what those original Mauser sporters would have been worth today.
    But that's just the way it is.
    We all wish we could go back and buy a truck load of 1903 US Springfield's for $29.95 and NOT take a hacksaw and sandpaper to them.

I found it. I can't find the date but must be between the wars because they mention 8x57mm as "discontinued" and offer 8x60mm instead in the standard action. As stated the options were plentiful! The bottom rifle is the K.

That's them ! Thanks for the pictures and info, always admired the looks of those old sporting mausers .maybe one day I'll stumble across one .
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

I would rather have a Genuine Mauser sporter in any caliber than any other bolt gun I can think of. Take that, pre 64 m70. Take that, Weatherby MkV. You too, Steyr.