Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackbox
Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Benefits for doing transfers for foreign nationals

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I don't see anything wrong with the 250.00 offer as long as there was no deception or arm twisting. A lot of places might even not want to buy it from a non-citizen.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    i would love to pay by the hour for filling out the form now waiting for the background check is a nother matter. i have never seen a dealer stand by the phone waiting for it to come back they continue to operate there business now that is doing nothing. like my old dealer tried to tell me that he had to have the forms checked 3 times . my reply was maybe he should hire people that have the ability to fill them out. the dealer across town that does transfers for 10 dollars admits it is money for nothing. pay by the hour you bet ya. exactly how long does it take the dealer to fill out the form because thats all they are doing.

I have no problem paying 20$ for a transfer. I used to use a local pawn shop, had several issues, one gun that I never got because they never talked to the dealer. I dumped them, found a reputable guy that rents a small 8x10' suite in an office. He has another job, does this on the side. We communicate mostly via email. He lets me know when the gun comes in, offers a normally 3:30-5:00 time on a specific day. I either accept or we try again.

No issues, no complaints, no problems, no hassles. I know he spent most of 8 hours on the phone one day because he could not get through. I told him don't sweat it, go home, try tommorow. Let me know when it goes through and I can pick it up.

I have been known to tip him. Good service deserves a tip now and then.
    I don't buy a lot, but I'm steady. Most guns when I buy it, I shoot him a heads up email. Give him what I have for information, an email or phone #. Within 12 hours he's made his handshake and the gun is in transit. Normal for him is 4-5 days from order to in my hands.

Buds gun shop may shave a day off that. I got one in 3.5 days once.

Not bad in my opinion. It lets me shop around, find the price I can live with.

Guy is Tom Challey of Fargo Arms if anyone is interested.
    info@fargoarms.com
    He also does trusts and NFA stuff.

I'll be a customer of tom's as long as he wants me.

Boolit Master
    I don't see that the foreign national student did much worse than any US citizen would in my neck of the woods. I've seen an older gentleman trade in an unfired engraved high-grade 28 gauge Beretta O/U for a couple hundred bucks locally. My motto is don't buy guns on impulse or that you don't expect to hold for at least a decade.

i have purchased guns and traded them in a few days later one that comes to mind was a Winchester trapper lever action in 45 colt bought it for the wife and she really didn't like it .it was a little small for me so back to the store it went i fired about 10 rounds through it and didn't get what i paid nor did i expect to i was friends with the dealer and he gave me more than i was expecting. i don't say they should do background checks for free i don't mind giving 20 to 25 dollars but that is about it one shop around here charges the difference between what you paid and what they sell the gun for. now that's a rip off. i have one that will do any number of guns on the same ticket for 25 dollars says its really not anymore trouble. how can one pearson do it for $10 dollars and tell me its money for nothing and others want $50 to as much as $100 dollars.

Personally I can't understand why some dealers charge what they do for transferring a firearm, some justify it saying they lost out on a sale that they could have made XX dollars so they want to try to recoup that "lost" money. I don't think that helps their bottom line as people won't go back to that shop for anything (unless it's the only game in town).

I look at it as if I charge a fair price to transfer a gun, the customer remembers that and maybe return for other services I provide (gunsmithing, Cerakoting, etc.) If/when they return, they may buy more from me (accessories is where you make money, not on gun sales), or they will refer their friends to me (that's how I got to be the one to do transfers for the foreign nationals).

That said, here is what I have to do in PA to transfer a gun.

1. Get the 4473's from the ATF (time taken on line to order the forms)
    2. When the forms come in I have to put a transaction number on the form, fill in my trade/corporate name and address, enter my FFL number. I do this ahead of time using stamps with this info on them. It still takes time to stamp 100 forms at a time.
    3. Get the PSP form for handguns/SBR's/SBS's/Full autos, (time taken to order the forms)
    4. When those forms arrive I have to enter my PA dealer number, name, address, phone. This is a triplicate form so the info has to be either hand written in or typed (I type because it looks neater).
    5. When a buyer comes in, I have them inspect the gun he/she ordered to insure it is what was expected. Then answer any questions they might have about the gun (operation, accessories, best ammo to buy, etc.)
    6. Get their drivers license, and for the foreign nationals get their passport, visa information, PA hunting license to make copies to be attached to the 4473 (don't forget copies cost money too)
    7. Sit them down with the required forms to be filled out and explain the form(s), what to do, remind them to read each of the questions before answering, show them where to sign when done, etc.
    8. If a handgun, I have a portion of the PSP form to fill out with the handgun information. This cannot be done in advance as the forms are numbered and they can get a bit nasty if you use them out of number/date sequence.
    9. Retrieve the forms from the buyer and do the background check (here in PA if all goes well it takes 2 1/2 - 5 minutes to complete - other than for a foreign national, the PSP gets all their info and then calls the appropriate federal agency and then calls me back with the approval number - this can take 1/2 hr or 2 days, no rhyme or reason).
    10. I fill in the rest of the information required on the forms
    11. Answer any other last minute questions the buyer has (new foreign nationals want to know where they can go to shoot their new gun so I tell them the different places they can shoot, paid or free (the PA Game Commission shooting ranges are free for hunting license holders)
    12. Collect my fee, give them their gun and say thanks for using me as your firearm transfer dealer.
    13. Then every 2 weeks I have a form to fill out to send to the PSP with a check for the fees that they charge. Time involves filling out the form, getting the envelope ready to mail, filling out the check, driving to the PO (we don't get door to door mail delivery where I live) so cost of postage and gas.

So it does take time not only during the transfer but in preparation prior to and after the transfer.

I'm not complaining, I think $20 per firearm is a fair charge and I haven't had anyone complain, either to my face on behind my back (as far as I know). I get a lot of repeat business because I will work with my customers. I will take care of them if they can't make it during my normal shop hours by setting up a time that suits us both so they can get their gun(s) in a timely manner. I make some money and they are happy.

Now, that all said, I don't rely on the gun shop to pay the bills, I'm retired, my finances are pretty good so I can keep my costs down and the business gives me something to do and lets me buy the Rugers I collect (the Six series revolvers - Security Six, Police Service Six and Speed Six) and display/show them. I'm a member of the Ruger Owners and Collectors Society (ROCS) and the Ruger Collectors Association (RCA) and the wife and I enjoy going to the different gun shows that ROCS/RCA is invited to (like a lot of mini vacations).
    Last edited by Xringshooter; 09-22-2018 at 04:23 PM.
    Ron
    USAF Ret (E-8) (1971-1997)
    NRA Benefactor

i really feel that 20 - 25 dollars is fair and where ever i do my transfers is where i try to buy my supplies powder primers cleaning supplies supplies for my shotgun reloading ect. and i don't mind if it is a little more than it sells for on line although lately i pay less than on line before they add the hazmat. and i will buy a gun from time to time for a reasonable price . but some local shops wanted from $150 to $200 more than i could get it on line. now thats to much .

Boolit Grand Master

My LGS I’ve used for years went from a $20 transfer to a $50 transfer. Guy across town charges $5. Guess who I’ve been using.

Boolit Grand Master
    Folks, those of you grousing over 25-30 dollar transfer fees would die here in California. Thankfully, I've only 16 months left on my sentence, then I am moving back to America.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12