Reloading EverythingRepackboxLoad DataInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Wideners
Lee Precision PBcastco

Thread: blow primer or bad primer pocket?

blow primer or bad primer pocket?

I was at the range today, shooting j word reloads. got to the last set of five, inspected the brass. on was missing it's primer looked at the other 4. no budge or flatting. I know I was under the max book load. I prime my brass with a lee hand primer. was noticing some where falling out after setting the primer when I did the last lot.

load
    300bo, 16" barrel, pistol gas

110gr v max

19.3grs h110
    cci 400

RANGE PICKUP CUTDOWN 556 brass

Boolit Master
    Primer pocket go/nogo gauge...every single one of my 223 get checked for the very reason you posted.
    https://ballistictools.com/store/rel...-pocket-gauges

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by corey012778 View Post
    I was noticing some where falling out after setting the primer when I did the last lot. RANGE PICKUP CUTDOWN 556 brass
    Here lies your problem/s as I see it. Primers falling out = Might be time to toss the brass due to enlarged primers pockets. You could try a different brand of primer to see if they fit tighter. Range pickup brass = There's usually a reason it's laying on the ground. Personally I tend stay away from it.

slowly moving away myself just using because I had them done. but after what happen I am lucky I did not have to clean powder out my magazine or anything else. (or worst). couple gunshops are carrying 300bo brass now. if I need some I can get it same day.

Boolit Master
    I get most of my brass once fired from the police range after the yearly quals. (Friends with the Sergeant) and while thier duty rounds are Remington, thier practice rounds are Winchester with a crimped PP...the pockets are very loose if the crimp isn't removed very carefully.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Super Moderator

I bought my 300BLK brass from this fellow, one of our fine vendor sponsors. It's made from once fired from a military range. It's good stuff, and NO loose primer pockets!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ato&highlight=

Boolit Master
    One advantage of depriming my rifle brass with a universal die in a single stage press is that I know when a primer pocket is loose and can toss the brass in the scrap bin without further processing. Hard to feel this on the progressive, at least it is for me.

Boolit Master
    To accurately gauge a primer pocket the plug gauge must be a double D configuration. The flats are required to detect an oval or chicken egg shaped primer pocket.

The egg shape can be on size in one axis and gauge ok with a round gauge.
    The double D plug gage can be rotated to find the large axis of an egg shaped primer pocket.

I know a lot about gaging from a career as a manufacturing engineer. However it is rare for me to gauge primer pockets.
    I always knockout primers with a hand punch and I prime with a hand tool. I can always feel a loose primer pocket.
    If I find one that is loose I can verify with my gauge and then crush it so it cannot be used.
    Last edited by EDG; 09-20-2018 at 02:38 AM.
    EDG

Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    One advantage of depriming my rifle brass with a universal die in a single stage press is that I know when a primer pocket is loose and can toss the brass in the scrap bin without further processing. Hard to feel this on the progressive, at least it is for me.
    I use a frankford arsenal hand deprimer. hit an second bad primer pocket. put it into the collet and the primer came out in my hand. scrap for that one.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Recycle time, yes.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by corey012778 View Post
    I use a frankford arsenal hand deprimer. hit an second bad primer pocket. put it into the collet and the primer came out in my hand. scrap for that one.
    I also have one of those, really like it and have used it for tens of thousands of rounds. Broke the spring and it’s waiting for me to get around to fixing it, that’s how I’ve ended up on the press.

Boolit Master

was noticing some where falling out after setting the primer
    Me thinks that should have been a clue, pop primer out, chuck the brass.
    Hope you didn't scorch (burn ) the breach face.
    Hate is like drinking poison and hoping the other man dies.

*Cohesiveness* *Leadership* *a common cause***

***In a gunfight your expected to be an active participant in your own rescue***

The effective range of an excuse is ZERO Meters

Boolit Grand Master

19.3gr is well within spec. It’s not like you can double charge that. Toss the brass in question and check the others.

Yep brass prep is a pain Crimped primers are sort of harder to tell coming out. As someone mentioned the crimp can hold it tight while the pocket itself is loose. A go no-go gauge would be useful. I use the CH4D primer pocket swager to remove crimp and that gives me a pretty good feel for the pocket tension.

Between de-crimping primer pocket, trimming, annealing and finally loading about the only way .223 save me money is by keeping me from having time to fire any. Save a lot of expensive powder by not getting to the range.

Range P/U may not be the best brass but if one is careful it can be the best way to accumulate a good stash. Having a couple of 5 gallon buckets for any autoloader is a good place to be. Even if one has to ditch some as defective. Good processing and good inspection are required anyway for reloading so..... I may have to get a third bucket just to make sure I don't die without having some work still to do.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master
    Loose primer pocket. Nothing wrong with the load if it is safe and within manufacturer load specs. There is a tool to fix loose primer pockets in shotgun shells. I don't know about rifle and pistol tools that do that. Easy peasy solution is to toss it in the scrap bucket.

God Bless, and One Love.

GoodOlBoy
    Yes I can be long winded. Yes I follow rabbit trails. Yes I admit when I am wrong. Your mileage may vary.

Keep your powder dry. Watch yer Top knot.

"Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!"

Yes there were "Short" 45 Colts! http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/45_short_colt.htm

Boolit Master

The problem with the brass is more than likely it is 5.56 brass fired in a out of spec chamber by the previous owner. When 5.56 brass is fired in a non spec gun the primers will fall often fall out. I became aware of this recently and that many SO CALLED NATO spec guns have chambers which are not cut correctly.

Boolit Grand Master

You had one bad case out of how many loads? More than likely the problem was from a bad case...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Fire around 50rds. It was part of the last set and most accurate grouping

Boolit Master

was noticing some where falling out after setting the primer when I did the last lot.

OPB Other Peoples Brass. aka unknown abuse or misuse.