Inline FabricationLee PrecisionStainLess Steel MediaRepackbox
RotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Graf & Sons

Thread: Fire-Forming Ackley case

Boolit Master

Fire-Forming Ackley case

Hello, I hope someone can give me some advice...I have a .25 Ackley Krag Improved..full length .30-40 Krag case necked to .25 & body blown out to nearly straight with a 40 deg. shoulder. Working up jacketed loads for determining accuracy benchmark gave perfect formed cases using .257 Roberts start loads & 100gr. Speer spitzers. Having cleaned out all copper from bore for cast bullet loads..not wanting to go thru that again..do you think a 100gr. cast gas-check bullet over 18-20.grs. H4227 would form cases? My concern with cornmeal & Bullseye is that sharp 40 deg. shoulder. Thanks a lot!

90 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    If it reaches 20kpsi it should form fine . I haven't worked with 4227 .... 8-12 gr of Unique should be safe and do the job but check it against Lyman's manual
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Bub
    I used COW and I think red dot to form 6mm Ackley with no problem I started small with the powder charge and increased until I got a case formed to about 70 -80 percent . If you do in the back yard you may get a visit from the local authorities that could be a problem.