Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad DataWideners
RepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting a qoute on a new rifle

Boolit Grand Master

Getting a qoute on a new rifle

Hello gentleman, I recently contacted DZ Arms for a quote on a Hepburn rifle. caliber 38-55, barrel half octagon contour 1-12 twist 32" long. Case hardened receiver. walnut wood mercury recoil reducer and pachmeyer butt pad. Drilled and tapped for tang sight, dovetail cut for front globe. But will also have one of the DZ Arms 8X scopes and rings on it. Double set triggers.

Did I miss anything? Anyone have experience with DZ Arms? Thanks for an information

Great outfit to work with. I'd recommend them highly. Unless it's just for balance I'd leave out the mercury tube, that rifle isn't going to kick anyway.

Boolit Master
    Dan is the man or his son Rick. I usually send him a Krieger blank and have it full length octagon. Dan has a reamer for a 38-50 also.

Boolit Grand Master

I have thought about doing that Kokomokid. but adding the lead time of getting the Krieger blank to DZs lead time makes for very extended project. I would like to try one of Krieger's Alexander Henry rifled blanks but I think they are available in 45 cal only. I also considered 38-56 but don't really want the chore of forming the brass. I also considered 40-70 ss but again forming from 30-40 or 405 win would be a chore.

Boolit Master
    Nice thing about getting custom made is you get what you want. My last DZ gun was a 32 inch and you get more fouling problems and need taller scope blocks for longer range and taller cheek rest. Wish I had made it a 30" but I do have a hacksaw.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    I have thought about doing that Kokomokid. but adding the lead time of getting the Krieger blank to DZs lead time makes for very extended project. I would like to try one of Krieger's Alexander Henry rifled blanks but I think they are available in 45 cal only. I also considered 38-56 but don't really want the chore of forming the brass. I also considered 40-70 ss but again forming from 30-40 or 405 win would be a chore.
    I believe that Starline makes 40-70 brass and it is properly marked.
    I did a 40-50 last year and it was a real learning process making brass for that puppy. Now that I have some though I'm really happy with it.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Master
    38-50 brass is available from BACO

I just looked and didn't see 40-70 @ Starline.
    Col 2:13-17

Boolit Buddy
    Starline has 40-65, but don't show 40-70 SS. To the best of my knowledge, Starline has never made 40-70 SS. Jamison made some that was properly head stamped for the 40-70, and it was excellent brass. Sadly, I only got 200 pieces of it before Jamison closed their doors. Build your rifle in 40-65. You won't regret it.

Boolit Grand Master

I have a 40-65 in a CPA shilouette model that's a great shooter. Shooting from my wheel chair is part of the reason behind the 38-55 and the added recoil reducing. Havent heard back yet from DZ. I did hear back from C Sharps on their Hepburn set up like I want less scope and sights. It was $3200.00 roughly depending on wood choice. Another $1000 for scope and 600-700for sights if I go with them also.

Boolit Grand Master

The DZ scope will be a dedicated scope for this rifle since all my rifles currently are drilled and tapped for 17" centers instead of the 7.2 for the shorter DZ Scope. If I go with a set of Irons it will probably be MVA long range soule rear and front globe with spirit level. And a Haley eye cup.

Nice. Can't wait to see photo's and hear your range report.

Boolit Bub
    Looking at pictures on DZ's website they are beautiful guns and have a reputation of being very well built.

Can't wait to see yours.

Boolit Master
    I'm envious. I have been wanting a DZ Hepburn in 40-50 for a while.

Do the barrel you want. You will not remember the lead time but the rifle last forever.

Boolit Grand Master

Currently as far as barrels go I have on my BPCR rifles 2 Green Mountains 1 45 cal 1-18 twist 1 38 cal 1-12 twist, 1 douglas 40 cal 1-14 twist, 1 McGowan 38 cal 1-12 twist, and one Al Story 45 cal 1-18 twist. Last is a 45 cal 1-18 badger barrel. So the green mountain blank isn't a big issue for me. With the upper end makers now I think its more how they are chambered contoured and machined more so than maker.

I can remember the Old timers from 40s 50s and 60s telling of hummer barrels being saved for big events only. Getting barrels that didn't shoot or fouled badly. One of the first top maker was Hart Barrels. Now with todays market and the competition the next new barrel is as good or better than the last, If all the above mentioned is done correctly.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm going to order the DZ rifle next week. 38-55 1-12 barrel tapered round 32" long double set triggers and their scope mounted plus dovetail for front sight and tang drilled and tapped for MVA base. 13 1/2 length of pull and a recoil reducer. Shooting for 11 lb weight finished. Should hold good and be easy recoil from my wheelchair..

Banned

those DZ guns look real good. having messed with mercury tubes in .45-70 gun stocks, i agree with andy. ain't needed for the .45-70 let alone a .38 gun.

Boolit Grand Master

I talked with Dan at AZ Arms today. Discussed the rifle in detail and Monday or Tuesday will be ordering it. Changed to half round barrel 32" long. And Am thinking Pachmeyer recoil pad instead of steel. Chambered for long brass. He is getting back to me on the throat if any. Front dovetail will b cut and a blank installed, tang drilled and tapped for mva base. Case hardening is done by Doug Turnball and I'm not sure about bluing. double set triggers.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    That's going to be a nice rifle. Hope to see some pictures of it.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Grand Master

I am doing my own builds on original Winchester High Wall actions with Krieger barrels. For lead only Krieger recommends a 50/50 land/groove. For jacketed or both they recommend a 70/30 since the 50/50 raises pressure. I went with 50/50 in SS for both of them.

The Henry style rifling is mostly for paper patch.

https://www.kriegerbarrels.com/caliber#henry

Henry Style Rifling

Description: This is an early style of rifling meant for paper patched cast lead bullet's in early metallic cartridges.
    Standard Contour: 29" Blank x 1.300" Diameter. Chrome Moly Steel.
    Calibers: These are currently available in .32 thru .40 calibers, and also .458 and .577 calibers. Please call (262) 628 - 8558 for availability of other calibers.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 01-03-2019 at 01:03 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    I am doing my own builds on original Winchester High Wall actions with Krieger barrels. For lead only Krieger recommends a 50/50 land/groove. For jacketed or both they recommend a 70/30 since the 50/50 raises pressure. I went with 50/50 in SS for both of them.

The Henry style rifling is mostly for paper patch.

https://www.kriegerbarrels.com/caliber#henry

Henry Style Rifling

Description: This is an early style of rifling meant for paper patched cast lead bullet's in early metallic cartridges.
    Standard Contour: 29" Blank x 1.300" Diameter. Chrome Moly Steel.
    Calibers: These are currently available in .32 thru .40 calibers, and also .458 and .577 calibers. Please call (262) 628 - 8558 for availability of other calibers.
    Most accurate bbl I have is a Krieger cm 17 twist wide land but the lands are not as wide as the grooves. I got this bbl for a special Jones 550 grain bullet but it sure likes a Baco 530 gr money bullet. Back when I got this bbl they told me that Mr Krieger was rifling all the wide land bbls himself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast