MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline FabricationLee Precision
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWidenersLoad Data
Repackbox

Thread: What scope for long range

What scope for long range

I have 2 scopes one is 10X tactical mildot and the other is a 20 X tactical mildot long range scope. I find that I get a lot of mirage with the 20X at over 300yrds ..What do the 1000 yrd shooters use .What would you use if you had the choice of these 2 scopes.
    Last edited by Repass; 09-20-2018 at 08:31 AM.

the 10x for the reason you stated. however, the best way to read the wind is from mirage. on the other hand, for long range you can have different wind directions and speeds and a fixed power makes it hard to read because theres no parallax adjustment...

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by danthman114 View Post
    the 10x for the reason you stated. however, the best way to read the wind is from mirage. on the other hand, for long range you can have different wind directions and speeds and a fixed power makes it hard to read because theres no parallax adjustment...
    You can get fixed power scopes with adjustable objectives. I have one in 4x and have seen them in 6x, 8x, 10x, 12x, 16x, and 25x.
    Last edited by rwadley; 09-19-2018 at 02:46 PM. Reason: Added info

Boolit Master

id probably use the 10x. cutting through mirage at high power is one of the places where the more expensive scopes tend to have an advantage.. if you want to use big power at long range, expect to pay for it.

Boolit Grand Master

My scope for any rifle any sights was a 6.5-20 lepould with side adj parallax. Good scope and seldom was I above 16-18 power due to mirage an other factors. If your shooting from position with sling heartbeat breathing and hold all show up much more with the added magnification. I also found I had more eye fatigue at the higher magnifications.

I would go with the 10X and use the spotting scope to read mirage and spot hits

Boolit Grand Master

I have an SWFA SS 10X that I shoot out to 1250 yards. I don't feel at a disadvantage at all. Best scope out there in the $300 price range IMHO.
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    In the nineties I used a Redfield 6-18 power for the hundred and two hundred yard ranges . I know that's not really long range . but , the only range I competed at was cut out of the woods and the mirage could be real ugly some days and the wind from five different directions . I found it easier to pull the power back a lot of times and watch the flags . Normally I wasn't above twelve power .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter