Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad Data
RepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What steel to use for expander?

Shoulder bolts are good tough steel, and come hardened.....not to hard, HSS will machine it......machine it up, and use as is

Boolit Master
    I used some old grade 8 bolts that I had found. Machined a couple matching nuts so would butt up against the chuck without slipping. Used a center drill for the ball bearing center I had for my ancient 6" craftsman lathe. Cut with regular HSS and left slightly oversized and used various grades of silicon carbide paper to get where I wanted them at. Same size as the threads on a Lyman M die. Frank

Boolit Master

I used a .5" stainless rod. Turned down, threaded one end to fit the die, GTG. My cartridge was 510 wells though, so it didn't take much material removal...

Polishing is fairly quick work on a lathe when you use the right tools to make the cut.

Boolit Master
    Just use a grade 8 socket cap screw.
    It can be easily machined but is tough enough fo any job.

If you prefer to buy out right Track of the Wolf and Buffalo arms sell custom expanders.
    EDG

Boolit Master
    I made an expander for the same set for a buddy. Nothing special, just a good bolt with the right threads. Leave oversize and polish. I cut the head off and cut a slot for a screwdriver.

He ended up with a .383 bullet also, if I remember correctly his expander ended up at just a touch over .381. We lapped the mold also, if it had been any larger it would have given trouble chambering. His bullet is a slip fit in the fired case. He sizes just enough to let the expander slip in the case.
    Last edited by beemer; 09-28-2018 at 10:20 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by EDG View Post
    Just use a grade 8 socket cap screw.
    It can be easily machined but is tough enough fo any job.

If you prefer to buy out right Track of the Wolf and Buffalo arms sell custom expanders.

Re buying it , well that might make good sense but I got the machine and the little job.

I will do this ��. Thank you for the ideas.

If I was in a rush I would just grab a cap bolt but I need to practice my threading on the lathe too.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by beemer View Post
    I made an expander for the same set for a buddy. Nothing special, just a good bolt with the right threads. Leave oversize and polish. I cut the head off and cut a slot for a screwdriver.

He ended up with a .383 bullet also, if I remember correctly his expander ended up at just a touch over .381. We lapped the mold also, if it had been any larger it would have given trouble chambering. His bullet is a slip fit in the fired case. He sizes just enough to let the expander slip in the case.

Thanks for your diameter comment. I was guessing two thou under bullet dia. What I was going to do was measure the big one and extrapolate up. I seem to recall it’s nominally a 0.379”.

Boolit Grand Master

A better more "fool proof" way is turn expander to bullet dia maybe bullet dia +1 and do a few cases with it checking for fit both the bullets and in the firearm. Polish down .001 to the fit you want, this will allow for any spring back. and its way easier to polish down size on a dia than back up. This way the one expander is finished to size and less likely to have to start over

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lance Boyle View Post
    I have a set of .38-55 rcbs cowboy dies. Neither expander is large enough to accommodate my 0.383 bullet.

I am a new lathe owner and am considering turning and threading a custom expander.

What steel is appropriate? A2 tool steel? Stainless? Should I flame heat treat it?

Edited I posted in gunsmithing as I am likely to find more lathe experience here than in the reloading equipment forum.
    anything (steel) at all will do but you need a polish finish on it and take account of the polishing in your measurements.

Had two expander plugs made for my 45 and 9mm setups in my Dillon 550. The material was 316 Stainless Steel. Have used both for a few years now, still the same measurements on the plugs, and my ammo works perfectly, not down sizing my boolits any more.

Boolit Master

Thanks. I found a 3/4” o1 drill rod at Fastenal. Yes they’re expensive there but I think I got a ok deal. The counter lady told be it’s regularly $36 but she could discount it to commercial account level and said $28. Me: ummmm the price tag on the rack with the correct item number says $18 and change. I guess the floor people didn’t catch up with the computer people. We both agreed with state pricing laws.

She made a phone call to over ride the computer price locks and sold it to me for the rack price. Nice lady agreed with me about state pricing laws, first time in 50 years I ever pressed, however slightly, that issue.
    Last edited by Lance Boyle; 10-03-2018 at 07:45 AM.

Boolit Master

NW Ohio, almost as N and W as you can be :-)
    I bought a new Grizzly lathe, it came with these tools included, they really work nice and the inserts are not terribly expensive. Knowing how to grind a HSS tool bit is a good thing too, they work great for a lot of things as long as we are not in a big hurry to get done .

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Lath...ght-Hand/G7028

Here is the catalog page that shows the inserts too.

http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2018/main/648?p=648

Lots of industrial inserted carbide tools are negative rake and do not work their best in a small lathe, these work really nice. Kind of sucks they are closing them out.

As for steel if you look around Ebay you can find "drops" or "bar ends" of 12L14...it is a leaded free machining steel that turns really nice, and is a good steel for a lot of garden variety stuff. For things like expanders and the like I keep some O1 drill rod around. it is decent as is for some things, and pretty easily heat treated and tempered if you want something hardened.

Bill
    Both ends WHAT a player

Boolit Master

NW Ohio, almost as N and W as you can be :-)
    Here is another option here if Grizzly does away with the tools I have not.

https://www.latheinserts.com/1-2-HOB...-Lathe-kit.htm

The inserts are a lot more expensive, and only have 2 corners instead of the 3 the grizzly offer.

https://www.latheinserts.com/CCMT-32...CVD-insert.htm

Cheaper on Amazon

http://a.co/d/4QfdCD6

holder and inserts on ebay for $24 shipped.
    Last edited by Willbird; 10-04-2018 at 10:15 AM.
    Both ends WHAT a player

Boolit Buddy

"I found a 3/4” o1 drill rod at Fastenal. Yes they’re expensive there but I think I got a ok deal."
    I buy a lot of stock from speedy metals. http://www.speedymetals.com

KBC tools also sells drill rod in O-1 & W-1. On sale frequently. And low shipping. Check out the current sales flyer. I usually buy from them. https://www.kbctools.com

Boolit Grand Master

For Small projects check out online metals they sell by the foot many different materials brass copper steels tool steels titanium plastics in various shapes and sizes. Another is to become friends with the local machine shops they throw out a lot of small lengths that are still useable for projects

I will add,whatever steel you use(O1 here),since you're setting up to make them.....uhh,make several. That way,you can do side by side comparison and,you may have more than one rig in the same chambering?

Boolit Master

Good idea. I have a 36” rod. Should be able to get at least two usable ones.

I will be in the shop today. It’s raining and my day off.

Boolit Master
    While I mentioned using grade 8 bolts for making expanders, I have also made them from grade 8 threaded rod. The few remaining pieces I have were 36" long and can easily be cut with a hacksaw. I normally cut them to about 3" or maybe 1/2" longer. I stick each end in the lathe one at a time and face each end off then bevel then so as not to get caught by the odd section of thread that always remains. The British do their cut ends in "Higby" fashion which is the rounding of the flat face sort of like a dome. I took two 9/16and whatever thread nuts and face off each side for a total of 4 sides. The two nuts and their flat faces seem to do a better job of keeping the threaded rod from migrating in the chuck. I but the buts against the chuck jaws and then center drill the working end and then proceed to machine away anything that doesn't look like an expander. First cuts to get through the hard outer skin and after that they do machine easier. get it to where you want it plus about 2-3 thousandths. Use some silicon carbide paper to make it smaller and polish. When done flat face a couple or two 9/16 nits as they serve to lock the homemade expander in place. By the way grade 8 bolts or threaded rod isn't the only metal to use. Good old screw machine stock in the proper thread will also work. Best part none of these have to be hardened. Chances are they will outlive you. I used kasenit but they don't make it anymore. Cherry red as sold by Brownells will also work, So if you feel the need go ahead and harden them. And if you want high speed steel will work fine just hone the bit before using. Frank

Boolit Master

Thanks for all your help and ideas. I better not retire and take up gunsmithing just yet. Unless I can get hourly rates.

After the usual couple oopses I got one that will work.

First one I turned down cutting away from the head stock. All spiffy, put knurling (weak) on the top, then changed gears threaded it. Looked great, smooth threads, held up factory part to compare thread depths,.......forgot to select to the headstock threading. Anyone need a left hand threaded expander?

Did a second one, all was looking good, halfway through the threading operation and my nice threads suddenly looked like a plow turning over field. My threader tip chipped. I tried to change the insert but the the screw buggered and I tried drilling it out but couldn’t get more than the head out. Grabbed the threader from my little 1/4 set but couldn’t get the point indexed the same to salvage the threads.

Third one is the charm. (Mostly, while it goes in the die smooth and straight, I pulled the set up before checking the little lock nut. The nut is too snug. I will have to run a tap through that.) I was impressed with my concentricity, no wobble on the expander tip while threading in the die, must have left the threads a bit too proud over thread specs. Of course my machinery handbook showed up in the mail later

I am getting a .382” case mouth with a slight bell. This should work.

My hat is off to you guys who do this for a living, My feet are sore as hell from standing in front of the machine for the better part of two days.

Thanks again for your tips, wisdom, good ideas and just being here.

Warm regards
    Last edited by Lance Boyle; 10-09-2018 at 09:20 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lance Boyle View Post
    Thanks for all your help and ideas.

My hat is off to you guys who do this for a living, My feet are sore as hell from standing in front of the machine for the better part of two days.

Thanks again for your tips, wisdom, good ideas and just being here.

Warm regards
    Get some rubber matting to stand on - old mine conveyor belt is good - a couple layers of yoga mat - you can even buy stuff in the home depot type stores - I like conveyor matt x 2 layers - its heavy enough to stay put and a smooth surface so If you drop a small screw or such it doesnt vanish into the matt - long sessions at the lathe will kill you if its on bare concrete

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast