RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad DataRepackbox
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication

Thread: Lets Talk Load data for the 500 SW Magnum. Cast only

Boolit Mold

Lets Talk Load data for the 500 SW Magnum. Cast only

Hey Gents. I Have been searching this site for the past 2 weeks picking up data here and there. I have a few Molds i picked up from Mountain and NOE.

I have the 700GR with 25 Grains of H110. But outta the 10.5 inch barrel its moving at 1120 FPS average. I saw one member who doesnt seem to post much say he got his moving at 1400!!!

I also am anxiously looking for high speed data for the NOE 375 GR Spire point. Using H110 or Lil Gun. That same member mentioned above said he is using 40Gr of H110 for the 375Gr and its moving average 1780. which is just right. Of course i will work up to that. but love to hear from anyone else with Chrono data and pictures .

Also loading up the 440Gr gas check, 475 and 572Gr as well.

So lets keep this one going. I will collect everyones data and test it if i have the goods and make one big thread of data i have put together. try to keep it all in one place!.

Thanks

Bob

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...018#post706018
    Last edited by JonB_in_Glencoe; 09-21-2018 at 11:05 AM. Reason: removed business name

Boolit Master

Eh, Only mold I got right now is a Lee C501-440-RF and I experimented with a few different powders. Can't supply velocity at moment because I don't have a chrono yet but a powder coated w/gc 440 over 38 grs (max) of H110 is pretty accurate- Hodgdon's site claims about 1654 ft/s. Also use IMR4227 and H4427 @34 grs. I am soon planning to buy a spire mold since the bullet coefficient should be a lot better.
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

Boolit Mold
    I am heading to range now to test the 440Gr GC loads with H110 and Lil Gun. I will be using the Labradar Chrono but i will take my Gamma Master as a backup and try to get 2 readings at once. maybe i can rig it up that way.

I am seeing that the 440 is just about the magic bullet for the 500 in terms of power. seems it can go up or down the load list.

Boolit Mold
    I decided to test run the spire points at 35,36,37grs of h110 outta my performance center 500 10.5 inch barrel.

35gr was 1644,1654.
    36gr was 1708,1750
    37gr was 1789,1798

I don't think ill need to go any higher. Cases came outta cylinder fine. No signs of flattened primers.

It's not a compressed load

Boolit Master
    i too am in the 440 gc boolit.

700 gr? nah ...don't want to knock down a redwood tree.

or hurt my hand. wouldn't mind having 10 to load up just a couple times

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Corpsegrinder88 View Post
    I decided to test run the spire points at 35,36,37grs of h110 outta my performance center 500 10.5 inch barrel.

35gr was 1644,1654.
    36gr was 1708,1750
    37gr was 1789,1798

I don't think ill need to go any higher. Cases came outta cylinder fine. No signs of flattened primers.

It's not a compressed load
    Not bad!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I wonder if the S&W 500 magnum trails behind the Freedom Arms JRH .50 by way of pressure/ft. lbs.?

Boolit Mold
    Thats a good question. i have seen that pick up in popularity it seems. but Whats folks H110 load for the 440 GC ? i shot my lowest test charge and it was really hard to get outta the cylinder. no ripples in primer or anything but just seems like 36 GR of 110 should not swell the case that much.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Corpsegrinder88 View Post
    Thats a good question. i have seen that pick up in popularity it seems. but Whats folks H110 load for the 440 GC ? i shot my lowest test charge and it was really hard to get outta the cylinder. no ripples in primer or anything but just seems like 36 GR of 110 should not swell the case that much.
    When I did my workup the first time with H110, I started at 32 grains and went to 38 grains in half grain increments. Did 5 each, that's 65 rounds or 13 cylinders worth. By the time I got to 36 grains they were doing the same thing to me, hard to extract. No flattened primers though. Consequently after all of that, and getting "ok" groups, I remembered I had a few rounds I loaded with IMR4227, some OLD stuff that said "Dupont" on it. My brother gave it to me, he don't reload. 31 grns and I was grouping WAY better than H110 could touch! Cases fell out easy. Now I'm going to try the newer IMR and see if I get the same results.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Dieselhorses; 09-20-2018 at 08:40 PM.

Boolit Master
    Anyone else try the CFE BLK? I'm shooting 50 gr cfeblk behind a 370gr lead gr and a LR mag primer in my 20 inch Encore. It shoots eally well and doesn't seem to punish as bad as the H110.

Boolit Mold
    I ran across this on the smith forums. thought it was interesting. I did a ladder test yesterday with the 440Gr GC i casted up with Hardball lead. and got some interesting results. 10.5 inch barrel and Lab Radar Chrono

Now if someone has quick loads that could get a guess on chamber pressure that would help out but corbon using 38Gr H110/296 then im sure its below 50K

H110
    37Gr - 1645
    38Gr - 1653
    39Gr - 1694

Lil Gun
    37Gr - 1640
    38Gr - 1697
    39Gr - 1744 ( OUCH!) my hand felt this one. but honestly. overkill. slight flattened primer but no ripples. wont be doing this one again though.

"Lead Head bullets . He has the 440gr lead gas checked bullet that Corbon uses. Owner is a total character and will share all kinds of data, so make sure you have time in your day to talk as you will be on the phone awhile. He is very knowledgeable and will help guide you to perfect loads. He helped to develop Corbons loads and told me their factory load with the 440 lead is 38 gr of H110. I have done extensive testing with this bullet and multiple loads, powders and primers. This is the best with my scoped 8-3/8" 500. I use Fed large rifle primers and am getting an average velocity of 1617 (@ 4800' elevation) and a 3/4" group at 50 yards"

"Try also the Trailboss powder for light loads. I use 10 gr of Trailboss with the 440 and get 780fps and about a 1" group at 50 yards. It is like shooting a big 38 special. "

http://smith-wessonforum.com/reloadi...0-reloads.html

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Thundarstick View Post
    Anyone else try the CFE BLK? I'm shooting 50 gr cfeblk behind a 370gr lead gr and a LR mag primer in my 20 inch Encore. It shoots eally well and doesn't seem to punish as bad as the H110.
    Hodgdon CFE BLK .500" 2.025" 41.6 1,473 28,300 PSI 49.0C 1,672 36,600 PSI

This data i have been wanting to try also. i will pick up a couple pounds of CFE to try. look at those pressure's. still has enough to match h110 speeds with much lower pressure.

Boolit Master
    Have been using a NOE 350 grain mold as I have standardized on that weight as all I need for the 500... Just have two guns, a 4" S&W and a 20" Encore Carbine.

18.0 grains of Unique run 1050 fps

20.0 grains of Unique run 1230 fps

43.0 grains of H110 run 1250 fps in the 4" and 1800s in the 20"

If I was hunting elk, moose or large bear I would step up to the 440s but for deer , hogs and bowling pins the 350s work without killing the shooter also...

Bob

Boolit Master

I can't get any accuracy with anything over 36 grs of H110. IMR-4227, so far, is the most accurate. Still have to try Lil gun and a few others.