WidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RepackboxLoad DataReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Load Data

Load Data

Does anyone have a good data source for loading shotshells with nitro cards, fiber and felt wads? This in gauges from 410 to 10 gauge for shot, slug and round ball loads. Gp

I believe BPI publishes a load data book covering that. Might check with them.

Thanks Nobade. That was my first try, BPI has a brochure for stacked card wad loads in their catalog but when you try to order by the parts code in isn't available. So I thought I'd try here. Gp PS I ordered the brass case load data from BPI but it just gives black powder loads not smokeless.

Boolit Master
    Look for older Lyman shot shell manuels. Try that company that is reprinting the cartridge manuels.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

jdfoxinc; I bought Lyman #1 on ebay for that purpose. The problem is the data is very limited and what is available the components in the data are obsolete. You would think with the "Green" movement that someone would have some modern load data. Gp

Boolit Grand Master

I've never seen a whole manual dedicated to such a thing, I've seen some that had a section for them. You can replace fiber wads for plastic wads, and the pressure will be the same or lower. I'm sure there are some exceptions to that. This would be for a nitro card followed by a fiber wad, and any fillers needed. Once you add a plastic gas seal, all bets are off.

loadbooks has a lot of data...
    https://www.amazon.com/Lyman-Shotshe.../dp/B00162MK2M
    for black powder its really simple.

Maybe I should start this off with a simpler example. Does any one have load data for a 12ga. 1 1/8 oz shot load using nitro, fiber and felt wads?

for tapered or straight hull? ill look when I get home

Quote Originally Posted by danthman114 View Post
    loadbooks has a lot of data...
    https://www.amazon.com/Lyman-Shotshe.../dp/B00162MK2M
    for black powder its really simple.
    Thank you. I have that manual. Yes, black powder loads are simple. Using the Short Lane adapter or just the brass head and a primer I load my 20ga with nothing more than BP, sheeps wool and shot. Gp

for tapered or straight hull? ill look when I get home
    Either or. I have a large selection of hulls. Thank you. Gp

it makes a difference. read up on the hulls because the data will be different. I'm no expert on loading shotshells and still have a lot to learn but I did use my first batch to slay dove after I made them...

it makes a difference. read up on the hulls because the data will be different. I'm no expert on loading shotshells and still have a lot to learn but I did use my first batch to slay dove after I made them...
    Yes, I'm very aware that loads are hull type specific. I'm just saying I have both strait wall and compression formed cases on hand. Glad your dove loads worked well. Did you shoot said doves with black powder loads? Gp

I have in the past but these were smokeless. this season I used a black powder sxs for a couple of hours but switched over to the 870. too slow to load. ill use it for quail season coming up tho...

Grmps: I have the hard copy of the alliant powder manual and have the shortcut to the Hodgdon data on my computer screen. They both use plastic wads. Gp

Boolit Master

GP, I understand the question, it's just that plastic wads with shotcups are so much more effective for shot loads in consistency, ease of loading and pattern. They are also cheap. That includes various buckshot loads and wad-type slugs. But you know all that. For full bore slugs stacked loads are the way to go for correct height for a good crimp consistent with powder type and slug dimensions. For specifics there are enough of us around who have loaded the big lead projectiles to give you safe starting points for whatever you may try to stuff in a hull. Fewer who have loaded brass hulls. I'm old enough to remember shooting the old Ranger paper shells and watching a truckload of cardboard and cork blow out of the barrel and geting a faceful of residue. The old inverted cardboard overpowder cups were not the best seals. If you gotta stack I believe the x12x plastic overpowder gas seal is the best made and I always use those in 12 ga. We are in the "good ole days" of shot loading now with the plastic, tight fitting components.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Hogtamer: Thank you. I know there are knowledgeable shot loaders here at Boolits and I appreciate the help you all have been to me getting me going with the shotgun loads. I'm having a great time with all this. I have a farm acreage I'm welcome to shoot on and actually has a berm worth shooting into. The gal that owns the property is an all around great girl but has an anti plastics thing. Some how she hasn't seemed to worry about the shot and I'm not going to mention it. I think she just doesn't like walking out back and seeing waste plastic on the ground. Some what like strewn cigarette butts. Hey, it's her place. So looking for semi green loads. Gp

Boolit Master

Fiochi actually manufactures the old school cardboard stack loads. Interpolating from this:
    https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...ber-wad-loads/
    I wouldn't worry about the specific BPI products but you need a 1 1/8 charge of 16 gr 700x (very low pressure load, can go to 18 and still less than 10k psi) in a Fed hull with 209a primer. Hard card over powder, then a 1/2" fiber wad. add shot, prolly need more height, so add more cardboard to raise height to within 7/16" of top of hull. If you don't have the frangible plastic overshot cards from BPI you need some. Great for lots of loads to get a solid crimp. Just have to adjust load to fit. In fact I'll load a couple when I get a chance and be more specific.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Quote Originally Posted by Hogtamer View Post
    Fiochi actually manufactures the old school cardboard stack loads. Interpolating from this:
    https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...ber-wad-loads/
    I wouldn't worry about the specific BPI products but you need a 1 1/8 charge of 16 gr 700x (very low pressure load, can go to 18 and still less than 10k psi) in a Fed hull with 209a primer. Hard card over powder, then a 1/2" fiber wad. add shot, prolly need more height, so add more cardboard to raise height to within 7/16" of top of hull. If you don't have the frangible plastic overshot cards from BPI you need some. Great for lots of loads to get a solid crimp. Just have to adjust load to fit. In fact I'll load a couple when I get a chance and be more specific.
    Thanks Hogtamer. Yes, I have the BPI wads, cards and clear plastic over shot cards. Thanks again for a start point. I'll give it a try. I have a good very heavy 12ga. barrel that will make a good test platform. It won't be an accuracy test as the barrel is rifled but it should show sign of over pressure before the load becomes dangerous in that shotgun. I can then move the loads to another shotgun for patterning. Just something else to mess with. Gp

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast