MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackboxWideners
Titan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Two diameter ppb’s

Gentlemen, this is very interesting.
    I am assuming that the need for a dual diameter boolit is for a bore riding projectile in a rifle with a generous chamber, correct?

Sounds like an issue one would encounter using black in a smokeless chamber (if one wanted a bore riding boolit)

My question is, could the dual diameter be accomplished with the patch alone?
    I envision a standard patch with an additional tail which wraps the base of the boolit before the rest of the boolit is wrapped by the full width patch thus increasing the diameter of the base over the diameter of the rest of the boolit. The tail sized appropriately for the amount of neck tension and length of insertion of course.
    The paper base may just shear off but the full length outer patch may mitigate that - don't know...
    I have a 50/110 that I should try this in.

Something like this:

I guess I better get more Brooks Tru Bore Mould stock to build my penchion retirement funds

I'm a bit late to this party, but have been shooting the two diameter bullet LynC2 designed and Accurate molds made in my Browning 40-65 with exceptional results. The Browning chamber has quite a long throat to allow bullets to be seated out for powder capacity, and refuses to shoot accurately with a normal PP bore diameter bullet. But this one patches up to .410" for about 3/8 inch, then .400" for the rest. Loads are absolutely easy, 72 grains Ffg, poly wad, enough compression to give the bullet a little room to sit, and it's done. Last weekend we were seeing palm sized groups at 500M on the steel plate, and at 200 it just makes a spot. This is the first bullet like this I have played with, and am now convinced that if your rifle has a chamber with freebore, you want a bullet designed like this one.

Boolit Master
    45DDEPPfor18twistGGCh070218.pdf
    Mike, here is my drg of the 45 cal DDEPP bullet for 18 twist
    beltfed/arnie

Boolit Master
    Huvius,
    I tried the two width, patching idea a while back.
    Not good.
    Go to a dual diameter bullet such as the drg I just posted for Mike Hearth' request.
    beltfed/arnie

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    I'm a bit late to this party, but have been shooting the two diameter bullet LynC2 designed and Accurate molds made in my Browning 40-65 with exceptional results. The Browning chamber has quite a long throat to allow bullets to be seated out for powder capacity, and refuses to shoot accurately with a normal PP bore diameter bullet. But this one patches up to .410" for about 3/8 inch, then .400" for the rest. Loads are absolutely easy, 72 grains Ffg, poly wad, enough compression to give the bullet a little room to sit, and it's done. Last weekend we were seeing palm sized groups at 500M on the steel plate, and at 200 it just makes a spot. This is the first bullet like this I have played with, and am now convinced that if your rifle has a chamber with freebore, you want a bullet designed like this one.
    In case anyone is interested in trying it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	41-400GP-D.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	24.1 KB 
ID:	238201
    NRA Endowment member, TSRA Life member, Distinguished Rifleman, Viet Nam Vet

Banned

Originally Posted by Nobade
    Quote Originally Posted by LynC2 View Post
    In case anyone is interested in trying it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	41-400GP-D.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	24.1 KB 
ID:	238201
    interested in this big time as i just got a .40-65 '74 heavy barrel sharps that i have even fired yet (dang winter) but have a gaggle of loaded PPB cartridges to test out using tom's 40-400P slick @ .393" (starline brass, 71 grains swiss 1-1/2f, carton wads, PPB sits in the case mouth 1/10").

how do y'all patch that two diameter 41-400GP? got images, please?

Boolit Buddy
    I’m glad to learn that your 40-65 is shooting that well for you. I would be interested in your patching technique also as I have a Brooks mold on Arnies DD bullet design for my Browning .45-70.
    On another note I’m building a .40-65 on a MVA ‘85 action with a Smith gain twist barrel. I designed the chamber around Starline brass with the chamber neck dia. Only .004” larger than the case neck will be when it is loaded. It will use straight sided PP bullets. My thoughts ran that the DD bullets were a “fix” for the larger chambers that were designed to shoot groove dia. bullets but this may not be true, but in fact the DD bullets may in fact be more accurate than a tight chamber specifically designed for traditional SS PP bullets. Will be interesting to find out.
    Guess I need to get casting..
    Thanks Richard

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    interested in this big time as i just got a .40-65 '74 heavy barrel sharps that i have even fired yet (dang winter) but have a gaggle of loaded PPB cartridges to test out using tom's 40-400P slick @ .393" (starline brass, 71 grains swiss 1-1/2f, carton wads, PPB sits in the case mouth 1/10").

how do y'all patch that two diameter 41-400GP? got images, please?
    My personal reply to RFD:
    "Good to hear from my fellow Texan. Accurate will make it any diameter you wish and length. I made it for a Browning's chamber which has a pretty long freebore. If I were to design it for a rifle with a short freebore I believe I'd reduce the groove diameter portion to about .125" in length if you want the added powder capacity. I did the tolerance as +-.001 and it was dead nutts on. I figured if it was too big, I'd resize it a bit or use thinner or thicker paper depending upon it. Fortunately it was right on the money with the paper I wanted. Funny thing is I ordered it for a Browning rifle I bought on Gunbroker that I sent back for a ringed chamber and pitted barrel. I wound up ordering a loaded 1885 high wall from C Sharps. Hopefully it won't be much longer so I can develop a load for the Nationals at Raton." Since I haven't loaded any, I'm not sure how Nobade is doing the wrapping, but it seems the Canary Yellow paper would be on the money.

Update: Nobade says he's wrapping them wet.
    Last edited by LynC2; 03-19-2019 at 03:18 PM. Reason: Update
    NRA Endowment member, TSRA Life member, Distinguished Rifleman, Viet Nam Vet

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12