MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingWidenersReloading EverythingLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Repackbox
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Now THESE are ingots!

Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    I probably would attack that with a chain saw. No, I doubt you'll run short on bullets anytime soon!
    Actually a reciprocating saw would work.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Banned
    NJ (but usually somewhere east of the east coast)
    Ive cut up several sailboats for the keel lead, So far most every one was pretty pure lead. (east coast, they were everywhere after sandy) Myself and 2 friends would split the cost of a dumpster, and cut the boat up with a mason saw and abrasive discs. The keels we cut up with chainsaws and sawsalls mostly, over a tarp, with some torching with some sort of basin underneath to catch the melt. Smelting was pretty dirty burning off the bottom paint, but we all have more than a lifetime supply now.

Nice. My boss gets lead $10,000 at a time. He's gonna check with his supplier and see what he can get me predicted lead for

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Watched the tour video on youtube. They melt those ingots into cylinders fir a hydraulic extruder to make swaged cores for their bullets. No real bullets casting. Google cci plant tour.

Boolit Grand Master

You guys need to quit lusting after those ingots! Most of us would not have the means to handle them! I guess a guy can dream though!

Boolit Master

Those are just babies. I once wandered around in the back yard at the Bell Helicopter plant at Euliss, TX. Stored there were the forms (lead) for stamping hydraform parts for the old UH-1 series aircraft. About 4 feet square, split in the middle for attachment to a stamp machine. Probably still there for all I know as I haven't been back in years and you never know when we'll need another run of hueys./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Worked at Bell Helicopter in the Experimental department when the Huey Cobra number one was being built. We built ship two there in experimental dept. then was moved to the main jig and began to assemble sections together in other places in the plant. By doing this Bell got the assembly of the main section hours down to ninety eight man hours. Same with the cockpit and the tailsection. I worked on the jig until #258 Cobra, training the "b"mechanics up until they graduated to "A" mechanic. Then the union phased me out. Only lead we encountered was in the Dayshift's hind end and in the bullets in the Emerson Gatlin Gun noooo we only used dummy rounds. I was assigned to work with the Emerson Tech. At one point he told me to hold the plastic tray at the ejection port while he gave it a 1/2 second burst. What a sound then all of a sudden the tray was full. We mounted a 40 MM grenade launcher on the other side.

Boolit Master

Worked on the guns on Cobras until we switched to the Apache. Went through the AH-1Q school there at Euliss with Sperry and Hughes reps and then Bell built us three trainers. Drank my Coors in Hangar 1./beagle

Lead was in a lot behind the main plant.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldBearHair View Post
    Worked at Bell Helicopter in the Experimental department when the Huey Cobra number one was being built. We built ship two there in experimental dept. then was moved to the main jig and began to assemble sections together in other places in the plant. By doing this Bell got the assembly of the main section hours down to ninety eight man hours. Same with the cockpit and the tailsection. I worked on the jig until #258 Cobra, training the "b"mechanics up until they graduated to "A" mechanic. Then the union phased me out. Only lead we encountered was in the Dayshift's hind end and in the bullets in the Emerson Gatlin Gun noooo we only used dummy rounds. I was assigned to work with the Emerson Tech. At one point he told me to hold the plastic tray at the ejection port while he gave it a 1/2 second burst. What a sound then all of a sudden the tray was full. We mounted a 40 MM grenade launcher on the other side.
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Master

I would like a few

I have used a chainsaw to cut up large ingots
    BUT only after I have checked the ingot to mage sure no steel was in it

I would stop to cool off the chain and put lots of extra oil on the bar & in the grove

But I would guess that those ingots are soft , for rifle and pistol bullet cores
    As IMO most rimfire bullets are made of lead wire

So I would have to order a bunch of Extra Hard before I started making ingots that would fit in any of my pots LOL

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Boolit Buddy
    0n my last job the pipefitters were adding 2 inch thick lead shielding to a 4 inch HI-RAD drain line. They used an electric chain saw to cut the shielding sections with.. lnteresting how they filled the joints with Lead Wool. l was fortunate to retrieve a few scraps of that led wool.. Greatest stuff l have ever used on steel /iron for removing surface rust

Banned
    There is a youtube video by 22 Plinkster where he tours the CCI Plant. I think they say how much those weigh in the video. They also say how many they use in a day. It is CRAZY. I think they go through about 50 of those in a DAY. Just for 22lr. Maybe I remember wrong but the video is out there, you can check.

Quote Originally Posted by LeadHead72 View Post
    This is a picture of the CCI bullet plant. Does anyone have any ingot moulds I could use to duplicate these ingots?
    Attachment 227356
    he looks like thy just sked him if he could please move them to the other side of the room to get them out of the way.
    We go through life trying to make the best decisions we can based on the best infomation we can find, that turns out to be wrong.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Quote Originally Posted by Mal Paso View Post
    Those aren't Ingots they are Pigs there is a larger size called Sows. LOL

The Pigs are probably 1,000-1200 lbs. Below is a pallet with 1,000 lbs in 30 lb ingots. Rotometals even paid the shipping!
    How do you use those 30 lb ingots ? Do you melt them down into smaller ones or can you cut them ?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    How do you use those 30 lb ingots ? Do you melt them down into smaller ones or can you cut them ?
    I melt 3 at a time along with 1% tin and pour 5 lb angle iron ingots. Standard propane tank setup. The last pic is a windguard which cut the melt time in half. Burner is a Bayou Classic 50K BTU. I use a stainless restaurant ladle to transfer the lead to the ingot mold one ingot at a time. Didn't want anyone thinking I poured from the 100 lb. pot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Alloy03.jpg   Alloy04.jpg   Alloy05.jpg   windgrd.jpg  
    Last edited by Mal Paso; 11-01-2018 at 07:17 PM.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Sheesh View Post
    I've wondered if a big cold chisel would work for splitting such ingots - Maybe an air chisel. Less messy than a chainsaw or cutting torch maybe? But might be slow and annoying.
    On my sail boat keel I used a fire wood splitting wedge to knock it into manageable sized peices. Works ok, knock a line in it, move the wedge to the center and start wacking, it would usually split when the wedge was about halfway through.

The biggest positive for me was it doesn’t make a mess. No chips etc.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123