Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2Repackbox
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad Data
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: touch hole liner woes and fixes

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    i talked it all over with jim chambers last night. the game plan is to first drill and tap for a 5/16x32 WL liner and see how she goes. if need be, i'll open that up to 3/8x32 and file down any of the liner past the flat. at this point, i'll take function over form any day. i suspect i'll be happier with the 3/8 liner. since i've already troughed the breech plug, the touch hole itself lines up smack into the middle of the plug, as it should be.

Attachment 227468
    I am gonna have to show my ignorance and ask ya -- whats the story with the troughed breech ?? you have a hole coming out the back of the breech plug just clear of the rear of the barrel tube? is this some kind of cleanout screw device ?

Boolit Man
    I'm guessing that hole accommodates one of the lock thru-bolts.

Boolit Grand Master

I would want the liner flush with the outside of the barrel flat and perfectly smooth, file and polish. Since the threads and countersink are bad I would go up one size to 5/16. While the breech plug is out take the back face and polish it smooth and buff to a mirror shine and the gun will clean easier. I have guns I made 10 years ago and if they were kept clean you can still shine a light down the muzzle and see a reflection.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mac118 View Post
    I'm guessing that hole accommodates one of the lock thru-bolts.
    yes, through bolt for the lock.

Banned

emailed with jim last nite, ordered out a 4 of his WL liners, will give the 5/16" a go first.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    yes, through bolt for the lock.
    Eyes played tricks on me - you have a groove across the front face of the breech plug (troughed it) then the thru bolt hole at the back - dont ask me how my brain and eyes connected the far end of that fresh trough with the bolt hole - but they did !!! Saw it goin in the front off side and comin out the back ! -----no wonder I pull one in to the five ring sometimes

Yeah, I had Jackie build me a gun a few years ago. Mediocre wouldn’t begin to cover it. It was not close to what I ordered, and the workmanship was so bad I sent it back. Can’t recommend the guy at all. Glad you’re getting yours straightened out.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Banned

with the real jim chambers liners and d/t's, both 5/16" and 3/8", several of each, having arrived a few days ago, this afternoon i had the time to forge ahead. locked the colerain OTR barrel in the drill press clamp, lined up the for the 5/16x32 liner bit and had at it. the resulting hole took out a lot of the original countersink.

before - jackie's knock-off 1/4x28 flush liner and uber deep countersink ...

... drilled open the original vent hole, which removed a bunch of the original countersink ...

... then i tapped the hole ... it looks reasonably deep on the front (facing the muzzle) and sides ...

... but less threads for the back because jackie drilled into the breech plug face and created a channel in it ...

... installing the vent liner - i can't get it in all the way, there's a whisker's space visible.

i guess that's ok and i'll just file it flush after cutting off the plug end ...

there's a bit of the liner into the barrel.

need to mark and file off or the breech plug would hit it when i screw it back in.

Last edited by rfd; 10-02-2018 at 07:04 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I always wondered why his guns were so much cheaper than other builders....now I know.

Banned

all done. turned out real nice. will test it out friday.

needed to file off about 1/16" so the liner would fit flush inside the barrel. drilled and tapped a piece of steel so that i could do the filing and then freshen the threads when the liner got backed out ...

screwed in the liner and breech plug, using nikal anti-seize lube for both ...

hacksawed off the nub ...

filed it flush ...

drilled the touch hole out to .062" and installed the barrel back to the stock ...

Thumbs up

Great tutorial and nice fix, Rob!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Well done.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Banned

ah, so much better. she fires off quite well now, indeed.

Last edited by rfd; 10-09-2018 at 06:56 PM. Reason: new video

Boolit Master
    Nice work Rob!
    Bob
    SMOKELESS IS JUST A PASSING FAD!-STEVE GARBE

FORMER NJ HUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR
    GOA LIFE MEMBER
    SASS LIFE MEMBER

ADAPT, IMPROVISE, OVERCOME!
    "ANY MAN WHO THINKS HE CAN BE HAPPY AND PROSPEROUS BY LETTING THE GOVERNMENT TAKE CARE OF HIM, BETTER TAKE A CLOSER LOOK AT THE AMERICAN INDIAN!"-HENRY FORD

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12