Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxInline FabricationLoad DataReloading Everything
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cast HP Worked

Boolit Master

Cast HP Worked

I have been practicing with a new 45 caliber HP in my OM shorty for the last week or so & yesterday I shot for a couple of hours at my Bill Fowler Steel target & thing were looking good. My load I settled on is 11 grs of Longshot with the 217 gr Maxine Mouth HP & it's running 965 fps out of my 4 5/8's 3 screw.
    For sure I can run this bullet faster but with this alloy I felt like I was in the right velocity range to make things work. On one forum a guy told me I shouldn't be using that bullet & that in his opinion a solid would work much better & then he finished by saying, trust me! When I quizzed him about his knowledge about six gun bullets, HP bullets, or hunting with six guns he told me he had never killed anything with a six gun but he a lot of knowledge shooting cast bullets..... in muzzle loaders, some bullets weighing 400+ grains & running maybe 1800 fps & again I was suppose to trust "his" knowledge.
    I arrived a little bit earlier than usual & started down a bumpy road on the 4 wheeler after watching another guy shoot a nice antelope with his rifle, it was a dandy although it had been fighting & it was well broomed.
    After a few minutes I spotted a doe running down hill towards a little spring so I stopped & then another deer popped up in the tall brush. I yanked out my OM shorty & took a breath as I broke the shot. I hit something because I saw something fly but I didn't hit the deer, it just turned from broadside to a sharp angle away from me. Thumbing the hammer back with my left thumb (right handed shooter) I held just behind the rib cage & sent another one down range. This one knocked her flat instantly. I looked for a couple of seconds & 2 more deer came running down the hill towards her then out of sight.
    I went up the rocky road & walked over & seen that I had actually hit a steel fence post with the first shot, I never even seen it because of the weeds & small sticks but I could clearly see where the bullet had hit it & that's what I saw blow up on the first shot. The bullet had entered just behind the last rib & angled up into the lungs, you can see all the damage it did to the lungs in photo 4. I drove my 4 wheeler down the old fence line & loaded her up & went back to the truck, shoved a bag of ice in the body cavity & took off to have some breakfast. Sorry, I guess I left out the distance, 61 yds.
    I think this bullet is going to be a dandy for deer size game in this velocity range....TRUST ME!

Dick
    Last edited by sixshot; 09-19-2018 at 12:01 AM.

Very nice...meat for the freezer...thanx for sharing the story.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Nice,, did you find the bullet or exit wound?

Mike

Boolit Grand Master

Well done!
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Good job. Did you find the boolit and if so how did it look?
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Grand Master

The weirdest part about looking at pictures like this, I all of a sudden smell guts. It's a good and bad smell at the same time. Great job, I don't know how you could possibly ask any more from a bullet if it exited. If it didn't I'd still take that over a solid that will go through end to end.

Boolit Master

Well done!

TRUST ME!! That could be your sig line.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master

Dick, I think I understand why you added it at the end,
    but anyone who demands that you "Trust Me" ........ that's a rant for another thread.

and nice work with the 3 screw shorty

Never a doubt in my mind, Dick. The Meat Hammer strikes again!

Boolit Master
    great write up and never a doubt on the HP right alloy for the speed works

Moderator Emeritus

Great write up and pictures, you really take us there.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Moderator Emeritus

How was the off shoulder and side regarding blood coagulating and splatter? Too many have doubts about the HP being overly destructive. The penetration looks to be great.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    Haven't taken the hide off yet, I'll keep her iced down for another day or two that way I only have to skin her once. But I did look inside & I see why she dropped so fast, because of the angle the bullet clipped part of the spine, she really hit the ground hard, spine hits will do that.
    It will be interesting to see what else happened in there after I get the hide off. For sure the bullet worked fine, at least in my eyes after hitting her at that angle behind the last rib & making it to the lungs. I'll take that every time.

Dick

Boolit Buddy
    Nice shooting! Great eating also! Would love to have a short barrel to go with my 7.5 in bisley.

Boolit Master

Nice post! Nothing beats the evidence of cast Pb meeting flesh & bone.

Too many experts in the world, IMHO.

Anecdote: (Mods please just delete this post if it is over the line.) In the late 20th century I worked for a Jewish investment business, in fact I was the first goi to be hired. I learned a lot of Yiddish and some Hebrew along with some very good Jewish humor. One of their lines was that "trust me" is Hebrew/Yiddish for "f you".
    Liberalism is the triumph of emotion over intellect, but masquerading as the reverse.

I don't know how we ever shot maximum loads before P/C come along and saved us all. R5R

"No mosque in the United States flies an American flag."

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    What??? A hp cast boolit expanded and all its energy dumped into an animal for a "dead right there" instant death...what it can't be done unless it was a sold boolit. LOL!!!

...Take that HP haters

Boolit Master
    Well I think we get used to using something when we've had success with it & the guy speaking out against the HP seems to be a very experienced hunter/shooter, we just travel down different roads. I was talking handguns & he was talking muzzle loaders which is fine. The problem I had was when he made the comment "Trust Me" That got me riled up, as it would any one. Still, I don't know him but I'm guessing he's a very fine hunter with his equipment. That's all I'll say.

Dick

Boolit Master

It's hard to argue with success and it looks like your gun/load/and marksmanship did the job! Can't ask for more.

Boolit Buddy
    I am thinking that if you had used the solid it would have gone through the fence post and the deer also, saving you some ammo with only one shot needed. TIC (tongue in cheek).
    Good judgment comes from experience.
    Experience comes from poor judgment.

Boolit Grand Master

Good evening
    Fantastic ! Another corn cruncher off the roads and fulfilling it's destiny. Nice shot on a moving target.
    Mike in ILLinois
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast