Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2
Load DataWidenersTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recording/displaying deer kills

Boolit Master

Recording/displaying deer kills

Help me think this through...

I've always put a notch in on my old gun rack for each deer I killed...never really had a desire for mounted heads unless I get a Whopper...most I've done is just a simple rack mount with just the antlers.

I'd like to put up a display to record number of deer I kill...and since I hunt for meat alot of those are Noble meat doe. What are creative ways besides notches in old gun rack you have seen or possibly do yourself?

I saw a guy put up the empty cases fired for each kill once...thought that was neat...but open to suggestions

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    My pastors daughter put and empty case on the tip of the antler of her first buck . Easy enough to do when the case is a .44 magnum .

How about make up a shadowbox with small shelves inside and use the empty case idea . Or perhaps something that saves the deer tag .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Moderator Emeritus

I was wondering why there were notches in this old S&W 1917 ?

Attachment 227331
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    I was wondering why there were notches in this old S&W 1917 ?

Attachment 227331
    Ha, there may be a cooler story than just deer behind that one!!!

Boolit Master

kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Stanley View Post
    My pastors daughter put and empty case on the tip of the antler of her first buck . Easy enough to do when the case is a .44 magnum .

How about make up a shadowbox with small shelves inside and use the empty case idea . Or perhaps something that saves the deer tag .

Jack
    I think I like that idea, maybe roll up the deer tag and stuff it in the empty case so it sticks out a little?

Boolit Master

I used to save the tags, but Ohio doesn't issue permanent tags any more. But I do mount antlers from each of the bucks, even the small ones. My problem is that I don't remember how many I've gotten. I've gotten them with bow, cross-bow, slug gun, shotgun, pistol, BP rifle and center fire rifle.

Boolit Master

How about notches in an antler. Even cooler if it was off of your first buck. Sadly, the antler from my first buck wouldn't hold many notches!

Boolit Master
    I write the date/location on the brass and it goes on a shelf in reloading room. Worst mistake I've made was putting them on a computer and throwing away the hardcopy. Computer crashed and those stats are gone forever.
    The only amendment the Democrats support is the 5th.

I think pictures printed out are good. You can put the date, gun, caliber, and load data on the back. Just take plenty and choose the best ones.

Boolit Grand Master

Perhaps a small photo album (won't work for the deer of yesteryear) with a snapshot of the deer taken and hang the album on the gun rack? One hunter I met said he cut the tail off of the deer and tacked it up on the wall of his reloading room...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Grand Master

Little deer decals , stick them on the side of your vehicle like a WWII fighter pilot would record the number of kills .
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

I had my first BIG head done a shoulder mount. I had saved several kill tags from different animals. BUT... back in the 1970s and 80s our state had a cover paper that the state kept. The "kill tag" that the hunter had to keep with the animal was written on with NCR no carbon paper tag. After about 2 years everything has faded away.

A guy I used to work with used to shoot competitively. He went to a trophy shop and they made a bunch of little tags and mounted them on a wooden plaque. He had a bunch of them. It looked pretty neat.
    Be careful,
    Victor

Life member NRA

Attachment 227445Attachment 227446John, I learned too late in life to carry a small camera with me on every hunt. The pics are almost as good as the taxidermist mount and a LOT cheaper. Here is a pic of a striper trip with some friends. I'm glad I have it after I almost fainted at the price of a mount.
    JonB , here is my 44 Hand Ejector that reportedly belong to a deputy sheriff in south Alabama with 12 notches in it. Probably not a deer hunter!
    Last edited by murf205; 09-20-2018 at 05:52 PM.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by murf205 View Post
    Attachment 227445Attachment 227446John, I learned too late in life to carry a small camera with me on every hunt. The pics are almost as good as the taxidermist mount and a LOT cheaper. Here is a pic of a striper trip with some friends. I'm glad I have it after I almost fainted at the price of a mount.
    JonB , here is my 44 Hand Ejector that reportedly belong to a deputy sheriff in south Alabama with 12 notches in it. Probably not a deer hunter!
    I think you are right, pictures and small momento like the tag rolled into the case with some info scratched on it would be fine...make a keepsake box or shadow box to hand the pictures around...I have yhe perfect wall in my shoffice

I'm getting really excited for deer season again...it's going to be a good year - hunting in both Louisiana and Texas and hope to Max out in both

As a side note, you are at the mercy of the taxidermist for the replication of your trophy. I have a friend who killed a 305lb 12 pt and it looked terrible. That is the deer of a lifetime in Alabama, especially when it was killed. If you take a bad pic you can take several more to choose from. I have a beautiful 8 pt that I killed in 1972 that weighed 227lbs but he is mounted on a standard (for the period) mount and he looks like a small buck. We should probably on the Outdoorsman section section with this.
    Last edited by murf205; 09-20-2018 at 08:53 PM.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by murf205 View Post
    As a side note, you are at the mercy of the taxidermist for the replication of your trophy....
    You are right about that. I have a "beaut" of a local 8-point, off of my land, that she put on a GOAT mold. My recourse is to salvage the horns, shoot another "big deer", save its hide, and ask another to mount it appropriately this time, meaning pay for it twice.

I keep a log of every hunt. What I see. Temperature, wind, direction, clear sky, fog, rain, humidity, barometer reading, moon phase, easy stuff at hand to record. I keep those hard copies, day to day, on a map of the property, which stand I sat, any one else there that day, what did they see, turkeys, bobcat, coyote, deer, hog, squirrel, armadillo, opossum, raccoons, targets, where? Trees dropping acorns, rubs, scrapes, map of the stand and its surrounds, yardage data taken over the years to every nook and cranny, how have conditions changes this year, just raw DATA, the stuff to fill up a day of sitting on stand waiting.

I transfer those notes to a spreadsheet. I color code days and time of day that I kill deer. I know how many does and bucks. I know how many antler points. It is like BASEBALL and the statistics that you can generate. I have a Gang Box that is 100% FULL of antlers from EVERY one I have killed, small, medium, and large that are not mounted on the wall and there are only very few of those. Once, I had them mounted inside on the garage wall. Maybe another day I will go that route again. The does, well, I am satisfied to know many of those in my Mind's Eye alone or through the pages of my notes and the spreadsheet(s).
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    I save the empty shotgun slug shells from every deer I have killed. I used to write the details on the brass part, date, sex, weight, distance shot and location, but now I make sticky labels with the same info. Do the same for turkey, and if I mount the fan, I incorporate the empty shell in the display.

Banned
    I have shot few deer in my life...not so many that I have to record them to remember. My way to record them is my memory. I don't mind telling the stories of each one though.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Land Owner View Post
    You are right about that. I have a "beaut" of a local 8-point, off of my land, that she put on a GOAT mold. My recourse is to salvage the horns, shoot another "big deer", save its hide, and ask another to mount it appropriately this time, meaning pay for it twice.

I keep a log of every hunt. What I see. Temperature, wind, direction, clear sky, fog, rain, humidity, barometer reading, moon phase, easy stuff at hand to record. I keep those hard copies, day to day, on a map of the property, which stand I sat, any one else there that day, what did they see, turkeys, bobcat, coyote, deer, hog, squirrel, armadillo, opossum, raccoons, targets, where? Trees dropping acorns, rubs, scrapes, map of the stand and its surrounds, yardage data taken over the years to every nook and cranny, how have conditions changes this year, just raw DATA, the stuff to fill up a day of sitting on stand waiting.

I transfer those notes to a spreadsheet. I color code days and time of day that I kill deer. I know how many does and bucks. I know how many antler points. It is like BASEBALL and the statistics that you can generate. I have a Gang Box that is 100% FULL of antlers from EVERY one I have killed, small, medium, and large that are not mounted on the wall and there are only very few of those. Once, I had them mounted inside on the garage wall. Maybe another day I will go that route again. The does, well, I am satisfied to know many of those in my Mind's Eye alone or through the pages of my notes and the spreadsheet(s).
    Haha let me guess, engineer? If not you'd make a great engineer, have a very detailed mind!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast