WidenersLoad DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading EverythingLee Precision
RotoMetals2

Thread: SAAMI 30-30 pressures vs 35 rem pressure.

Boolit Master

SAAMI 30-30 pressures vs 35 rem pressure.

Was looking into helping a friend load some medium pressure 35 remington loads for an older, but not ancient marlin 336 20 inch carbine. I was looking at pressures at http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle and was surprised to see that the 35 Rem loads were listed to lower pressure than the 30-30 loads. My guess is that some of the other rifles made in 35 rem are weaker than the 336. I assume that a 336 is at least as strong as an older 94 winchester. The pressure differences are not much but they are there. I want to stay considerably below max since these are not hunting loads, but was curious about the reason for the differences.
    SAAMI https://saami.org/wp-content/uploads...-SAAMI_CFR.pdf

Source SAAMI SAAMI SAAMI
    Cartridge MAP MPLM MPSM hodgdon data
    30-30 38000 39000 40400 40600
    35 Rem 35000 35900 37200 34700

If the marlin has microgroove rifling I wonder if jacketed bullets will fair better in that rifling versus cast lead.

Can't answer your question regarding the pressure differences but as to the rifling, Micro-Groove handles cast with the same facility as the so called Ballard. The bullet simply has to fit.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

I'm just getting started with the 35 Rem so I've been getting all the specs and load data compiled into one place. limits are 33500 psi, and 35000 CUP for this cartridge. I can't tell you why they set the limits where they set them. But I'd bet the differences are due to case volume, case construction, and bullet diameter.

I've also read that if velocities are kept below 1600fps for lead it engages the micro-groove better and is more accurate. I'm not sure I believe that 100% but I'll be doing some tests of my own soon. I hope to cast .001-.002" over bore once I get that determined. (my rifle is due in today)

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by redhawk0 View Post
    I'm just getting started with the 35 Rem so I've been getting all the specs and load data compiled into one place. limits are 33500 psi, and 35000 CUP for this cartridge. I can't tell you why they set the limits where they set them. But I'd bet the differences are due to case volume, case construction, and bullet diameter.

I've also read that if velocities are kept below 1600fps for lead it engages the micro-groove better and is more accurate. I'm not sure I believe that 100% but I'll be doing some tests of my own soon. I hope to cast .001-.002" over bore once I get that determined. (my rifle is due in today)

redhawk
    Thanks dan and redhawk. The pressures I posted are CUP
    If you gun is a new remington made 336, I hope it is better than what was coming out from the new plant.

Boolit Grand Master

The SAAMI MAP for the 35 Rem is based on the original ammunition time pressure curve as developed for the Remington for their recoil operated M8 semi-auto rifles. Basically higher pressure loadings in that rifle can cause malfunctions and/or damage to the rifle.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    The SAAMI MAP for the 35 Rem is based on the original ammunition time pressure curve as developed for the Remington for their recoil operated M8 semi-auto rifles. Basically higher pressure loadings in that rifle can cause malfunctions and/or damage to the rifle.
    That makes sense. My experience with the model 8 and 81 Rem is limited to observation and the few I have seen often had broken parts on them. I can see that heavier loads would stress them, especially if someone oils the chamber.
    Likely a 336 would handle a little higher pressure than a model 8, so likely any published midrange load from a reliable source should be safe with the the 336.

Quote Originally Posted by barnetmill View Post
    Thanks dan and redhawk. The pressures I posted are CUP
    If you gun is a new remington made 336, I hope it is better than what was coming out from the new plant.
    No...I bought a 1981 336 from our S&S forum. I know to stay away from the Remlins...they seem to be hit or miss.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

I specifically looked for a pre-micro groove marlin in 35 Rem. and am very happy with it as I am shooting both a gas check and non-gas check lead bullet out of it. It came with a Williams rear peep and it’s great.

Boolit Master
    Barnetmill -

Howdy !

As regards pressure tolerance of .35 Remington brass.....

I have shot it wildcatted down to .224” caliber, for a case capacity between that of a .22-250 and a .22-250AI.

In my bolt rifle application, the Remington-brand brass was/is able to handle chamber pressures just was well as .22-250 and .220Swift brass does.

My point:
    Lower level pressures shown in many reloading manuals for .35Rem loads are a reflection of the need for safe cartridges for use in many of the older gun designs.

With regards,
    357Mag

Boolit Master

Sir Larry has spoken.
    Nuff said.

Boolit Grand Master

35 Remington was the original caliber in the Model 8 semi auto rifle and pressures were set for that before it was ever chambered for a levergun. I have never felt I needed more oomph from the 35 in a levergun but I know the brass and the gun will take it IIRR Waters in Pet loads had a section on the 35 for stouter guns and he had a Winchester Model 70 in 35 Remington.

Boolit Buddy
    I and my rifle are fans of the RCBS 35-200. It shoots very accurately and kills way out of proportion to what the numbers say it should.