Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Load Data PBcastco

Thread: Cleaning a win 94...

Cleaning a win 94...

I’ve heard that running a bore brush through the front of the muzzle is wrong. Don’t we do the same thing with revolvers?

I normally clean through the breach end in the Marlin, but taking apart a 94 it’s a pain. Anything wrong with cleaning from the front of the muzzle using a bore guide?

Hope I posted in the correct forum.

Super Moderator

I clean mine from the muzzle using a bore guide. I surely hope I haven't been doing it wrong all these years! BTW, I clean my M1 Garands and M1A the same way. The rod never contacts the barrel/crown. If I'm in the field I might use a bore snake.

Boolit Master

I turn mine upside down, open the action and run a fiberglass cleaning rod through the bbl. Been cleaning my SKS like that for about 30 years and it still shoots great. I wouldn't use a steel or aluminum rod that way but fiberglass tipton or gunslick is not an issue.

Boolit Master
    I guess the only thing wrong with brushing muzzle first, guide or not without the gun taken apart is that the brush will flick all the particles inside the action, I just got a boresnake and shoot paper patch sometimes and call it good enough for "regular clean" and ill only take apart to fully clean the inside when really necessary.

Super Moderator

I never use a brush...just good ol' Hoppes #9 on a 30 cal patch. I will clean and oil the action as needed with q-tips.

Boolit Master
    Bore snake after each use-- brush and patches and all from the muzzle end (with a bore guide) once or twice a year whether they need it or not. about 4000 rounds so far and lots of cleaning with no sign of wear at the crown (or anyplace else for that matter)
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Grand Master
    Bore snake or muzzle guard

Boolit Master
    I clean from the front with a guide. unless it is a take down then from the breach, this could be why every take down I have seen has a very good bore.

What I do is open the action, push the lifter back down, take a rag and stuff it down in the action so that it will not come out and that it blocks any oils and debris from entering the action. I make sure the rag is positioned so that it keeps the bore brush from slamming against the bolt face. Then, lay the rifle on my bench or in a cradle and clean from the muzzle. I've cleaned it outside on occasion, with the rifle leaned against my knee. Harder, but more enjoyable. Ever once in a while, take the bolt out and clean the guts too. It aint hard, but time consuming to some degree.

Boolit Grand Master

I use a cradle and guide to clean from the muzzle on the rifles I need to. the cradle holds them upside down a rag is laid into the action to protect also, Then clean from muzzle using a bore guide that fits the rod. For the bpcr rifles I have a 5/16" dia dewy rod and fitted guide for it. not a lot of flex in it. I use heavier rods when I clean for that reason also. Those long 22 calober up rods are okay but a lot of flex when pushing a new brush or tight patch and jag.

Don't clean it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ROCKET View Post
    I’ve heard that running a bore brush through the front of the muzzle is wrong. Don’t we do the same thing with revolvers?

I normally clean through the breach end in the Marlin, but taking apart a 94 it’s a pain. Anything wrong with cleaning from the front of the muzzle using a bore guide?

Hope I posted in the correct forum.
    Nothing at all wrong with this
    A tip on bore guides though - have seen a couple homemade nylon or HDPE for muzzle loaders that were parallel side and fit inside the bore - dont know what those guys were thinking - one of those rifles had a distinct mark on the rifling the depth of the "guide" - need to have brass guide with a taper (45 to 60 degree) end on the guide so it only contacts the crown
    I am suspicious of bore snakes (dont like snakes at all - only good un is a dead un) - saw many ex military 303's when I was young with ruined bores (muzzle coned) from using a military pull through for cleaning - show me how you pull a snake through without the lead rope contacting the rifling at the muzzle and I might change my mind (lemme shoot the snake first though)

It's fairly easy to clean a Winchester 94's barrel from the rear, actually not much more difficult than a Marlin 336 - I just remove the bolt...….

Here's how:

* Remove the large-headed screw (the finger lever stop screw) from the LH receiver sidewall to expose the port there (directly opposite the large hole is a smaller hole in the RH receiver sidewall).

* Partially open the bolt with the lever (about an inch, +/-), until the lever/bolt pin (finger lever pin) is centered in the port.

* Use a small drift pin to push the connecting pin out of the bolt/lever connection, using the small hole in the RH receiver sidewall.

* Drop the lever & the attached locking bolt down far enough for the locking lug & the tip of the lever to clear the bolt & slide the bolt out of the rear of the receiver.

Now, both the barrel and the bolt are accessible for cleaning & lubrication.

* To re-assemble, slide the bolt back into the receiver while slightly closing the lever, so that the upper tip of the lever re-engages with it's slot in the bottom of the forward section of the bolt.

* Push the lever/bolt into the receiver until the link pin area is again in the center of the large hole in the LH receiver sidewall, and replace the lever link pin removed earlier.

* Replace the lever stop screw in the LH receiver sidewall.

Done.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    I'm in the use a good lube don't get it dirty camp , I set my trusty old 30-30 in a cradle lever up and open then run a few patches with a home made bore guide through the bore dropping the patch on its way out of the chamber . I swab out the chamber without taking down the action most of the time , but once or twice a year I actually disassemble the action to clean and oil it up good . Before I started shooting cast my trusty old 30-30 it seldom got cleaned or even used for years at a time . Try not to use a steel cleaning rod .

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post

It's fairly easy to clean a Winchester 94's barrel from the rear, actually not much more difficult than a Marlin 336 - I just remove the bolt...….

Here's how:

* Remove the large-headed screw (the finger lever stop screw) from the LH receiver sidewall to expose the port there (directly opposite the large hole is a smaller hole in the RH receiver sidewall).

* Partially open the bolt with the lever (about an inch, +/-), until the lever/bolt pin (finger lever pin) is centered in the port.

* Use a small drift pin to push the connecting pin out of the bolt/lever connection, using the small hole in the RH receiver sidewall.

* Drop the lever & the attached locking bolt down far enough for the locking lug & the tip of the lever to clear the bolt & slide the bolt out of the rear of the receiver.

Now, both the barrel and the bolt are accessible for cleaning & lubrication.

* To re-assemble, slide the bolt back into the receiver while slightly closing the lever, so that the upper tip of the lever re-engages with it's slot in the bottom of the forward section of the bolt.

* Push the lever/bolt into the receiver until the link pin area is again in the center of the large hole in the LH receiver sidewall, and replace the lever link pin removed earlier.

* Replace the lever stop screw in the LH receiver sidewall.

Done.

^ Listen to this guy. It's really not hard at all to take a Winchester 94 apart.

Boolit Buddy

You can make a field expedient bore guide by cutting a .223 case above the shoulder, then remove the burrs.