RotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
RepackboxWidenersPBcastcoReloading Everything
Lee Precision Titan Reloading

Thread: Need Help, Rem 600 magazine spring broken

Boolit Buddy

Need Help, Rem 600 magazine spring broken

When sighting in for deer season, the cartridges just sort of fell into the magazine. When I remove the stock it looks like the spring under the follower is broken. How do I take the magazine box apart from the rest of the action? Is it just some sort of press fit? Good ideas for a source for a new spring?

Vendor Sponsor

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-man...m/600-2?page=2

Mag springs in stock $5-$12 depending on caliber
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

The mag box just sits sandwiched between the trigger guard and action. Two guard screws, short one in the front.
    Cool and super accurate rifles!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post

The mag box just sits sandwiched between the trigger guard and action.

Two guard screws, short one in the front.

Turn/hold the rifle upside-down & remove both triggerguard/floorplate screws (be careful, as the barreled action will readily come out of the stock).

Pull out the broken magazine spring and the follower; remove the upper portion of the old spring from the bottom of the follower, insert the new spring where into the bottom of the follower - then place the assembly into the magazine well, followed by the TG/floorplate & screw it tight (forward screw gets tightened first).

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post
    Turn/hold the rifle upside-down & remove both triggerguard/floorplate screws (be careful, as the barreled action will readily come out of the stock).

Pull out the broken magazine spring and the follower; remove the upper portion of the old spring from the bottom of the follower, insert the new spring where into the bottom of the follower - then place the assembly into the magazine well, followed by the TG/floorplate & screw it tight (forward screw gets tightened first).

Thanks, after taking off the stock again the magazine box came free by itself.

Will order that part from numerich

You're entirely welcome ! .

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

My model 600 222 rem was a real hoot shooting prairie dogs in New Mexico. Alfalfa fields along the Rio Grande had much trouble from the varmits. They would eat the alfalfa two borders into the field (about a 140 feet) themselves and store in their burrows. What the farmers dreaded was for the prairie dogs in the field would burrow underground out into the bank of the drain ditches below the level of the field. When the water came down the border it would form a whirlpool as it opened up to the ditch carrying tons of the field with it. It would also fill up the ditch with the tons of dirt.
    Landowners really appreciated the reduction of numbers by lead poisoning. My rifle was sighted in for 250 to 300 yards which is about the distance across the fields. Killed many of the little critters at those distances. I would see one with binoculars his eye just above the birm of the hole watching for trouble. At the shot the p dog went airborne. Jerked it right out of the hole 10 feet or so most of the head missing. Using 52 grain Sierra j words at 3300 to 3450 fps . Couldn't hit anything it seemed up close but deadly at the long distance. The .222 is rated as a 200 yard rifle I was told. Shot a coyote in the head, running away and going slightly left. Held ten inches high and ten inches left and at the shot it crumpled. The bullet didn't expand, exit same as entry. Laser ranged the shot by doing a lone tree halfway then from the tree to where I shot from. Totaled the two at 437 yards. You might say that was just dumb luck but sometimes it all comes together rare as that may be. That was the way it was in 1982.

Taking it a part and putting it back together called for three or more hands it seemed. Whew.

My Rem 600 in .308 is my favorite rifle ever. Short, light, well balanced and scary accurate. Thanks guys for the tech info.

Since we're talking about model 600's ,has anyone ever bought or used any of the replacement floor plate/ triggerguards ? I've seen quite pricey alum. Ones and cheap plastic ones like that came from the factory .every 600 that I e ever seen has the same issue as mine a deformed bulged floor plate . One of you enterprising guys with a 3D printer would have a solid market .
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

I put a steel one on a Mohawk 600 that I rebarreled to 22-250. It was nice but a bit costly I thought!
    Yes, I miss that gun!