WidenersRepackboxLoad DataLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Making Ben's Red Boolit Lube. . .

Boolit Buddy

Making Ben's Red Boolit Lube. . .

Hello all. I'm in the works of making Ben's Red Lube and I have a question. I started the rendering part of the Lucas grease and it is a brown/green color and not much like a liquid. . .is this correct? It is almost the same color as the Johnson's Paste Wax in the can. Before I go any further and dump a $15 dollar bag of beeswax in this I want to be sure. So far I'm just in the melting of the Lucas grease. PLEASE ADVISE ! ! !

Don’t try to melt the grease.... it will burn and never truly go liquid.

I melt the beeswax, pour in the oils and stir well, then add the grease and stir, stir, stir on low heat until all the grease lumps are gone.

Low heat and stirring till it’s all blended is the key to Ben’s Red. I would just get another tube of the red n tacky and not try to melt it.
    I tried to melt the grease on my first batch and turned it brown. I went ahead and made the lube, but it came out a very dull red almost pinkish color. It shot just fine, but I would’nt recommend doing it that way at all.

You can also put the grease and oils in first on low heat and stir till blended well, then add the beeswax.... seems to work either way for me.
    Just don’t try to melt the grease.... it’s got to blend in by stirring on low heat.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 35 shooter View Post
    Don’t try to melt the grease.... it will burn and never truly go liquid.

I melt the beeswax, pour in the oils and stir well, then add the grease and stir, stir, stir on low heat until all the grease lumps are gone.

Low heat and stirring till it’s all blended is the key to Ben’s Red. I would just get another tube of the red n tacky and not try to melt it.
    I tried to melt the grease on my first batch and turned it brown. I went ahead and made the lube, but it came out a very dull red almost pinkish color. It shot just fine, but I would’nt recommend doing it that way at all.

You can also put the grease and oils in first on low heat and stir till blended well, then add the beeswax.... seems to work either way for me.
    Just don’t try to melt the grease.... it’s got to blend in by stirring on low heat.
    This was my first rodeo with the Ben's Red. I had read a post that talked about steps this person used to make it and it was totally wrong! They said to heat/liquify the grease then add in the remainder of the recipe. Mine burnt and turned brown as well. . .glade I didn't add the $15 dollar bag of beeswax! I ended up sending Ben a PM and he gave me some pointers, helpful guy. I'm good to go now, getting ready to pop it in the freezer. Thank you for posting your method, that is about how I did it too.

Boolit Master
    As said, the Red & Tacky doesn't really melt well, but softens up kinda lumpy. It should not turn brown. I make mine in a Crock Pot I picked up at a thrift store and stir with a mixer using 1 mixing blade on slow so as not to introduce a lot of air. I picked up the mixer also at the thrift store.

In Remembrance

I acquired all my `cooking tools` for making the lube from a Salvation Army resale store. I already had an old 2 burner electric hot plate so I was set. A cooking whisk is what I used for constantly stirring. A few months back I made my 3rd batch of this stuff, seems that my shooting friends have grown to like the free lube from me too.Robert

Boolit Grand Master
    The whisk is certainly your friend ! !

Ben

Boolit Grand Master

A slow cooker , start on high, when all is heated you can set it on low . The Lucas R-N-T grease will not melt . heat and blend with whisk.
    Turn off slow cooker , let cool. Do it again the next day, blending well with whisk. Do it again, one last time ....the repeated heating, whisking and cooling seems to help blend the mix,
    The crock pot will keep beeswax from flashing and grease from scorching ....keep lid and fire extinguisher handy ....just in case .
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

Yeah, the Lucas grease right on the tube says the drop point is 540 degrees! That is in the area of dangerous temperatures, especially dealing with flammable ingredients. Sounds like stirring with a wire whisk is the key to getting it blended, lots of stirring! (

In Remembrance

Go find the original `sticky` about making this lube and read it again very carefully and I`m sure about every question you have will be answered.Robert