RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackboxWideners
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Range Test - Velocity>.430 Speer vs. .431 Oregon Trail - 240 grain SWC's

Boolit Master

Range Test - Velocity>.430 Speer vs. .431 Oregon Trail - 240 grain SWC's

VELOCITY TESTING
    44 Special
    Unique and Win 231 .430 Speer vs. .431 Oregon Trail
    Ruger Single Action Blackhawk

1. a. Speer .430 grain swaged SWC -
    6.8 grains Unique: Ruger SA 4 1/2"
    907, 875, 881, 899, 906 - average 890 fps
    1.b. Speer .430 grain swaged SWC -
    6.2 grains W231: Ruger SA 4 1/2"
    796, 837, 786 - average 806 fps

2. a. Oregon Trail .431 laser cast 240 grain SWC -
    6.8 grains Unique: Ruger SA 4 ˝"
    900, 1011, 1005, 933 - average 962 fps
    -----------------------------------
    6.5 grains Unique: Ruger SA 4 ˝"
    886, 912, 918 - average 905 fps

2. b. Oregon Trail .431 laser cast 240 grain SWC -
    6.2 grains W231: Ruger SA 4 ˝"
    845, 903, 911, average 886 fps.

I was expecting the W231 to jump about 80 fps with the .431 laser cast Oregon Trail, and it did. I was hoping that the slight reduction from 6.8 grains of Unique to 6.5 grains would drop it back into my supposed sweet spot for the Ruger SA of around 890 - 900 fps, and it did. I was prepared to drop it to 6.4 grains but do not see any need to considering the velocity and the accuracy.

Banned

Any leading???

Boolit Master
    No leading with the Oregon Trail bullets. Why I switched to them for my Henry; the swaged .430 Speer were key holing a bit in the Henry 44 Big Boy.

Banned

The "Silver" bullet is a very hard alloy. Interesting results.
    Thanks

Boolit Master
    Does the crimping groove location on the 2 different boolits give 2 different case capacities?

Boolit Master
    Funny you didn't get the questions on your data I received on my post?

Again I am not trolling, baiting or calling out anyone by my post. I mean no harm, hurt or anguish to anyone on here. This post is made based on my knowledge, experience and/or beliefs. Nothing more. Please take it that way. Thank you.

Boolit Grand Master
    You have a rather "tight" revolver, it seems. My 2 now-departed 44 Special revolvers did not achieve the velocities that your example is producing. That wheelgun is a KEEPER, sir!

My 6.5" S&W Model 624 gave Lyman #429421 just under 1000 FPS atop 7.5 grains of Unique ("Skeeter's Load"). Throats were .431", bullets were sized to that dimension. Alloy was 92/6/2, lube was BW/Alox 50/50. I am tempted by the Ruger S/A 44 Specials, but for now will just down-load my 44 Magnums when I want Skeeter's Loads to play with. 8.5 grains of Unique in 44 Mag cases under the #429421 achieves that pretty well.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 9.3X62AL View Post
    You have a rather "tight" revolver, it seems. My 2 now-departed 44 Special revolvers did not achieve the velocities that your example is producing. That wheelgun is a KEEPER, sir!

My 6.5" S&W Model 624 gave Lyman #429421 just under 1000 FPS atop 7.5 grains of Unique ("Skeeter's Load"). Throats were .431", bullets were sized to that dimension. Alloy was 92/6/2, lube was BW/Alox 50/50. I am tempted by the Ruger S/A 44 Specials, but for now will just down-load my 44 Magnums when I want Skeeter's Loads to play with. 8.5 grains of Unique in 44 Mag cases under the #429421 achieves that pretty well.
    I was more than a little surprised at the velocity increase of around 80-90 fps - same weight of powder-6.8 grains Unique, same CCI 300 primers, etc. Only difference was from Speer swaged .430" 240 grain SWC's to .431" laser cast Oregon Trail 240 grain SWC's. And, the Lipsey Ruger Blackhawk in 44 Special is by far my favorite, and is indeed a Keeper!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 44MAG#1 View Post
    Funny you didn't get the questions on your data I received on my post?

Again I am not trolling, baiting or calling out anyone by my post. I mean no harm, hurt or anguish to anyone on here. This post is made based on my knowledge, experience and/or beliefs. Nothing more. Please take it that way. Thank you.
    OP posted sufficient information in his 1st. post and stated what the test was for and what results he was looking for. Getting two different average velocities with two completely different bullets of the same weight over the same load is normal.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    OP posted sufficient information in his 1st. post and stated what the test was for and what results he was looking for. Getting two different average velocities with two completely different bullets of the same weight over the same load is normal.
    True. You are correct. Really two variables - bullet hardness and diameter. Got me wondering what results I'd get with swaged or very soft cast .431" 240 grain SWC bullets with the same powder weight. I expect they would be kind of in the mid range in velocity.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    I went back and reread my 1st post on the thread: "44Magnum/A2400 Let Me Try Again" and did not see where I did anything to make anyone assume I was asking a question, eliciting help, I just made a statement as to what my chronograph results were and nothing else. That is where my assuming that people would understand that, and, others assuming I had a question made the post seem to elicit such. I understand that.

Thank you for your reply to my question. It was a thoughtful and concise answer. few people would have taken the time to be as nice.
    Again thank you.

Again I am not trolling, baiting or calling out anyone by my post. I mean no harm, hurt or anguish to anyone on here. This post is made based on my knowledge, experience and/or beliefs. Nothing more. Please take it that way. Thank you