Lee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Inline FabricationRepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading

Thread: Fun at the old ball park?

Boolit Master

Fun at the old ball park?

As I type, I am in a brace for [healing] a seven-vertebrae spinal fusion. To report I cannot handle any recoil from a long gun is an understatement. I am hosting my caregiver, her sister, and her sister's two dogs. Three days ago I was awakened at 3:42 AM by a nearly hysterical caregiver insisting that there was a bear in the backyard. I ignored her until substantial noise convinced me to take a look. Walking on the back porch was ill advised. A large black bear had destroyed my trash-garbage container, destroyed several five-gallon screw top storage containers, none of which contained food, then decided to visit me on the porch. I waddled indoors, loaded a 12 gauge with 00 buck, and called the county sheriff's department to inform them that if the bear scratched again on my back door, I would shoot it. The bear obviously overheard me and went to my across-the-meadow neighbor's.

Last night, many dogs barking, extremely severe gunshots followed by a scream of victory. Up the street, one black bear was killed. Unfortunately, Seeley Lake had one grizzly and seven other black bears in town to have leisurely dining experiences. Now I have two hysterical people telling me to load firearms. I looked for my elk loads for my 45-70. I located four boxes of 325-grain Hornady FTX 45-70 handloads for deer. Shooting something that can "shoot back" with this ammunition a tabletop range is a superior method to get badly injured - bullets will not penetrate yet will act like a grenade surface wound. I returned it to the safe. While I loaded the 12 gauge with 00 buck ammunition, confidence in that being a satisfactory method of dealing with that grizzly bear that was roaming the town was not high. My shooting the shotgun frightened me because I would surely rebreak something that was held together with blocks of steel and screws. So I loaded a Freedom Arms 97 45 Colt with my elk loads - 300-grain Saeco SWC-GCs at about 1200 fps and tried to calm two people. I gave the shotgun to my caregiver - chamber empty, magazine full - with instructions to do nothing unless I told her to do it. . . . It was a very long night with my replying to, "What was that?" and similar nonsensical questions from the two people who seemed to be badgering me as though a tag team. There will be similar night watches for the net several days. I am doing my best to not think about the deafness that will occur if I must shoot those 45 Colt loads. But the two-foot flame will be impressive in pitch black.

Fun at the old ball park?
    It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it. Sam Levinson

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Who's "caregiving" who????
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

That was what passed through my mind, who is taking care of who here?

Boolit Master

If I were in that shape, I would let the bear do what it will outside and make sure my steel entry doors were dead bolted. Then I would rest and heal.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    We've got a lot of griz and black bear activity here, too. Friend wants me to go shoot one out of his apple trees. Problem is, they only come at night, and I don't need the hassle of accidentally killing a griz.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

If only my doors were steel rather than hollow core. Nevertheless, you are right on point. Outside - they can do what they do. Attempted entry is a different bag of cats. It's about ten after 1:00 AM. Night noises and dogs barking are some distance off. I prefer to think that the grizzly has left the area. Black bears can be destructive and have an "entitlement" attitude problem, but they've shot their bolt on edibles here, real and imagined. The sister's two dogs have been hiding for several hours. Since everyone else is asleep, I'm shutting down too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishman View Post
    If I were in that shape, I would let the bear do what it will outside and make sure my steel entry doors were dead bolted. Then I would rest and heal.
    It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it. Sam Levinson

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Safe is good. Might be good to retrofit steel doors when you can? I'm looking at moving into Griz country and I was considering bank vault doors LOL