Load DataTitan ReloadingRepackboxInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWidenersReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2

Thread: Wax For Paper Patches

Wax For Paper Patches

Anyone have a coating formula for fouling reduction that minimizes collecting dirt?
    I've tried beeswax and then dusting with graphite. Soaking the patched boolits requires heat control and getting the hang of it. But it does little for lowering the rate of bore deposits and I suspect it has no real difference from the British muzzleloading service cartridge minies that got their wrappers soaked in 230 degree beeswax.

Haven't tried Paul Matthews' formula yet. Perhaps beeswax and a small admixture of olive oil, peanut oil or lanolin would offer improvements. Perhaps a small amount of oil wouldn't make the surface more prone to collecting stuff but delay the fouling. Just a tiny dab in the base immediately prior to loading can delay build up but a little too much can create a crud dam in the flash channel on some.

Any hoo, thought I'd ask to see what experiments may have preceded my own.

Boolit Master
    cookies between a veggie wad and base is what my BP ctg shooter friend does
    Last edited by 10 ga; 09-17-2018 at 11:00 AM. Reason: safety 1st, then accuracy
    10 gauge: as per Robert Ruark, "use enough gun"

MOLON LABE

"I have a list, and am prepared for widespread civil disorder!" 10 ga

Boolit Buddy
    I paper patch 43 Spanish bullets for use in my .45 cal rifles. I use paper from
    an old phone book cut in strips for six wraps around the bullet. I wet the wrap
    and roll onto the bullet. When dry, I dip the patched bullets in Lundmark liquid
    floor wax and let dry. When loading, I seat a card wad on the powder, then a
    dab of tallow in the barrel followed by the patched bullet. Works every time with
    good accuracy.
    webfoot10