Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee Precision
WidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyPBcastco
Repackbox Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 100 year old film of the Red Baron

Moderator Emeritus

100 year old film of the Red Baron

FW: 100 year old footage of the Red Baron during WWI

You will notice the strap that looks like it holds his hat on, it doesn't. When he is getting dressed for flight, he takes off his hat and hands it to one of the crew, but the strap is still there. It is holding something else on his head. Strange. Interesting Video.

100 year old footage of the Red Baron during WWI

Notice them squirting oil … on the valve stems I would guess, prior to spinning the prop.

The following is a very rare piece of film, 100 years old. It shows Baron Von Richthofen, doing an external prior to a mission, as well as his putting on a flying suit prior to flight in cold weather. If you look close you will notice Hermann Goering.The Baron was shot down on 21 April 1918 by Roy Brown of the Royal Navy Air Services, a prelude of the R.A.F.. The Aussies also claim that one of their machine gunners on the ground shot the Baron down UK & Aussie Doctors, after the autopsy stated that the fatal bullet was shot from above.The author of this has been very involved as a Director of the Roy Brown
    Museum in Carleton Place, the home town of Roy. Many letters have been written over the past 3-4 years and finally Roy Brown was inducted into Canada’s Aviation Hall of Fame on 4 June 2015…To think this film is almost 100 years old! If you're interested in history or aviation, you cannot miss this footage. It was just posted online, and I've never seen anything like it. It's from 1917, and it's an up-close and personal look at the most legendary combat pilot who ever lived, the infamous Red Baron, Manfred Von Richthofen. Watch the extremely rare, extremely old footage and re-live history. ULTRA-RARE footage of the most famous fighter pilot ever.

https://shar.es/12Ag7e
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Boolit Grand Master

Interesting video.

I think the strap was for his goggles...they cut quickly from his hat to him putting on the flight helmet at that point he then puts on his goggles and the strap looks the same. He may have kept the goggles under his hat to keep them from getting dirty or possibly foggy...just a guess.

really cool old video.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    I think what the crewman was doing was priming the cylinders with “petrol”. That Le Rhône rotary engine design used the block as a “carburetor” and only had the exhaust valve (“the monosoupape principle,” I think they called it.). The cylinders were open at the bottom and the partial vacuum from the pistons at BDC sucked the mixture in.

So it was “Switch off!” and prime the cylinders; “Contact!” and spin the propellor. Notice the circle of cylinders spins with the propellor. The crank was fixed to the front of the fuselage, and everything else whirled around. The oil went up through the system by centrifugal force and was flung out into the atmosphere. Pursuit pilots didn’t have a very good chance at a long lifespan, but they had no trouble whatsoever with irregularity.

That’s a great video—even had his Dreidecker in it. Thanks for sharing it.

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O
    What a piece of history
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Pretty cool video. Thanks!
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

In Remembrance

I read in an aviation magazine a few years back that had an article about the rotary engines used by both sides. The article said the Sopwith Camel and the Fokker Tri plane `s engines produced such torq that the pilots were constantly fighting their craft to keep it on an even keel. More pilots were killed trying to fly these planes or land them than were actually shot down.Robert

Boolit Buddy

I had read earlier that he suffered a severe head wound that kept him from flying for some time. The picture I saw showed the left side of his head bandaged. While he could not fly the German's sent him on a moral boosting tour. He toured among other places the front line aerodomes of Germany. Perhaps the strap is for the bandaging on the left side of his head.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Walla2 View Post
    I had read earlier that he suffered a severe head wound that kept him from flying for some time. The picture I saw showed the left side of his head bandaged. While he could not fly the German's sent him on a moral boosting tour. He toured among other places the front line aerodomes of Germany. Perhaps the strap is for the bandaging on the left side of his head.
    That's what I was thinking.
    Maybe some kind of pad to keep the cover from rubbing on the wound.

Boolit Master

guess my sound is broke
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master

Wow, seeing them roll that plane out, it's not much more than a motorized box kite. Those guys were gutsy on both sides. I understand that back then captured pilots were treated well and generally regarded as gentlemen.

Boolit Master

Pretty darned cool. It is amazing how much more deadly our weapons are in only 100 years’ time. Where will we be in another 100?
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Boolit Mold
    An interesting, albeit unsettling, fact from the annals (pun intended) of history: the lubricating oil in WWI airplane engines was castor oil, a fast acting diuretic. In radial engines planes, large quantities of the lubricant would flow back in the slip stream and be ingested by the crew. For the untimely and the unlucky this often led to gastrointestinal accidents, perhaps giving rise to the immortal combat phrase "OMG, I think I ---- myself." While fart-joke amusing in hindsight it was a genuine health issue at the time as long time exposure to castor oil intake often leads to the opposite, very uncomfortable problem.

Boolit Master
    I didn't realize that castor oil was used in these early radial engines. I use to build and fly model RC planes that used large glow fuel engines that burned a methanol castor oil blend, we burned the methanol at least, the castor oil just lubbed and cooled the engine. It just passed through the engine and out the exhaust and left a nasty greasy mess all down the side of the model.
    I was looking at the way the engine on the baron's plane is cowled to send all that mess out the bottom of the cowling and across the bottom of the plane.

Silk scarves weren't for show. Kept your face and neck from getting rubbed raw on the wool coat as you kept your head on a swivel.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Thanks for sharing

Quote Originally Posted by kenyerian View Post
    Thanks for sharing
    +1..tried to read his eyes along the vid.....was looking extremely confident and wise.you can see how people were kind of admirative and submitted around him. confidence is everything on battlegrounds.

Boolit Master
    The Red Baron was very superstitious about being photographed before a mission. He went up one day after being photographed and a bullet grazed the side of his skull. He was apparently never the same after that, and would flip out if he saw a camera. Then like a year or two later, it happened again, and that was the day he was shot down and killed.
    East Tennessee

Moderator Emeritus

Thanks, Paul. I sure am glad we got that guy! Great man, as far as his talents and dedication to his purposes went, but very bad for his fellow man. It's a shame such talent and ability has to die, in order for folks to be free.

Boolit Master

Was the last part of the video an examination of a downed plane? Maybe shot down? It is obviously a different engine

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast