WidenersTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How many of you would like to see a Henry Single shot in .22lr?

I am looking for a suitable .22 to loan a couple of neighbor boys ro shooting in our .22 BPCR matches. When Henry announced their single shot, my heart quickened but once released, the urge quickly passed. Too heavy and terrible trigger. I will keep looking or find an older .410 shotgun like an Iver Johnson Champion that is in good shape and have the barrel stubbed or sleved then work on the trigger as needed.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by koger View Post
    Marlin man you are spot on, this type of thinking is what hurts the shooting sports today! I shot for years in ML competition, on a state, local, and national level, at the NMLRA events, and different range officers see the rules different ways! I had a couple of knock down drag out arguments with them, and came out right every time! I just did not loose my cool and stayed resepectful, and pointed out that another lady shooter was doing the same thing I did, but because she was a well known shooter, they never gave her a second look, and she even came to my rescue, telling them to get lost and let me shoot in peace. I just posted this thread to see what you guys think of a single shot .22, on an entry level rifle. I did not ask about other calibers, or ask you folks to get persnickety about the rules of BPCR-22 matches, as I pointed out that it would be used for informal matches, but could be upgraded to a match level rifle, hopefully! I had 12 guys that are serious shooters, that would buy one in a heart beat, and that is from a small town in KY, I thought the open minded guys and gals who visit this forum would embrace the concept, proved me wrong!
    ]Marlin man you are spot on, this type of thinking is what hurts the shooting sports today!
    No its not. Consistency is what keeps the match fair and going.

Here is what you can do... Find a range, get on their schedule. Get the targets. Promote the match. Get sponsors. Line up prizes. Have clear written rules, unless you want the gamers to turn it into anything goes. It is huge time commitment but you get the match you want and run it your way.
    Problem solved.

When someone else has been through that, they get to say how they run it. Like it or not, that is life.
    Chill Wills

Quote Originally Posted by marlinman93 View Post
    So you guys really are that picky? I understand not allowing guns that might give the shooter an unfair advantage. But being picky and not allowing an entry level gun that nobody should see as a threat seems just petty for no real reason. If a top break rifle made today isn't allowed, then why even allow any clones made today? Seems like a new Browning 1885 without the tangs of the Traditional Hunter, would also be against the rules?
    AMEN.

IMHO prohibiting the Henry to a novice shooter smacks of an elitist attitude that no small-time sport like ours can survive for long. Building or buying even a marginally competitive High Wall, Stevens or Ballard will cost three to five times as much as a box-stock Henry. How many new shooters can afford that? Not unless they're independently wealthy they can't. Maybe that's the objective? Like the VSCCA prohibiting replicas, so the rich don't have to rub shoulders with the hoi polloi?
    Cognitive Dissident

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    AMEN.

IMHO prohibiting the Henry to a novice shooter smacks of an elitist attitude that no small-time sport like ours can survive for long. Building or buying even a marginally competitive High Wall, Stevens or Ballard will cost three to five times as much as a box-stock Henry. How many new shooters can afford that? Not unless they're independently wealthy they can't. Maybe that's the objective? Like the VSCCA prohibiting replicas, so the rich don't have to rub shoulders with the hoi polloi?
    Do you really believe that? I don't!
    Carpenters, plumbers and car salesmen don't want to rub elbows with you???? I think you are just throwing rocks!

You sound like just the man to save the hoi polloi and start an every mans match! I'll come! When do we start?

The truth is we find a way to do what we are motivated to do. We save and spend our discretionary money as we see fit.
    Some people just type and throw rocks. That sure brings us together. Internet rock throwing can get kinda competitive for those that don't want to do much else.
    I don't think running people down helps much.
    Chill Wills

I totally agree with rules and consistency. But don't agree when the rules allow copies of older guns that aren't exact copies, while at the same time excluding other guns that are often even closer to approved guns. This smacks of bending the rules to fit those who were involved in making the rules.
    I've seen this far too often where someone arbitrarily decides one gun is OK, but another isn't. For instance the idea of having a certain cutoff date, but excluding guns made prior to that date. An example is Sharps Borchardt rifles. Or Full sized Martini. Both excluded simply because they don't have an exposed hammer, even though they make the cutoff date. Silly and arbitrary to my thinking.
    Allowing a Stevens Tip Up, but not a Henry or H&R tip up style, even though both have exposed hammers. Or allowing copies of the Winchester 1885, and adding in the Browning 1885 that isn't even an accurate copy. It just looks similar, so it's OK?
    Rules should make sense. But rules should also allow new shooters on a budget to shoot more than an arbitrary type of gun, or only one match until they have to buy one that conforms. Yes, we could make up our own matches, and our own rules. And I'd hope if someone does their matches are more open to those who are starting out, and can do so on a budget. I also hope the rules make more sense.

Yes, I do. We had just that sort of elitism going on the vintage motorcycle racing scene that I was involved with in the 1980s. The AMA-sanctioned Vintage rulebook was carefully crafted to keep the lower-cost two-strokes from ever competing with the rich guys' AJs and Matchlesses and Harleys. It was so bad that we in New England had our own club which allowed anything made before the cutoff year, no fancy "formulas". OUR club flourished; six races a year, plus we even ran an international series against the Canadians, whose rules were the same as ours. AHRMA ran just one at Loudon, and it only barely filled the grids. 1967 was our cutoff date. One race a newbie showed up with a nearly stock 1970 BMW 750. We let him run. I was passing him in practice on my 250, but he had fun, and eventually became a regular.

BTW the main organizer of the AHRMA group was a rich New York lawyer. Ours was a high school art teacher. (One year we got bud vases as trophies.)
    Last edited by uscra112; 09-21-2018 at 08:08 PM.
    Cognitive Dissident

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12