RepackboxWidenersLoad DataInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many of you would like to see a Henry Single shot in .22lr?

Boolit Master

How many of you would like to see a Henry Single shot in .22lr?

Several of us were talking recently in these parts, here in KY, and about a dozen guys at a shooting event, all were looking over my recent .223 Henry singe shot, and commenting on how well it shot. We all agreed, that if Henry could produce and sell a .22lr version, with the same barrel, or better yet, a longer heavier barrel, for the same price or less that the centerfire sells for, we would all buy one ASAP! I just got off Henry's website, and they have a tool on their website, to leave an email, discussing what type/caliber of firearm you would ideally like for them to produce. If this interests you, why not go their and leave a note, cant hurt anything! All feedback welcome!

Boolit Grand Master

Neighbor boy had a single shot 22 I always thought was neat little rifle. I believe it was an Ithica made lever action. looked like a scaled down 94 or marlin. the breech block tilted down and ejected the fired cases then it could be loaded. Hammer had to be cocked by hand. It was a really a nice little rifle. Much handier than a break open action would be. A lot had Stevens favorites also. I bet a slightly scaled up favorite to adult size would be a seller also.

Boolit Buddy
    That Ithaca was probably the model 49 saddle gun.
    Good judgment comes from experience.
    Experience comes from poor judgment.

Boolit Master
    Nope, not me, and I love 22s. But they need really decent triggers, and should be notably lighter than this Henry. Now, a trimmer one in 32-20 might make me figure out how to fix the trigger
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    No, like to see 25/20, 32/20, .30 carbine, 32 s+w long or 32 h+r mag. Todd

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I would like to see a really light walking gun under 4-1/2 pounds with 24" barrel in .327 Federal, which could also use .32 H&R Magnum or .32 S&W Long. Midland Backpacker clone of Beretta folder would be logical platform for this.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I now a lot of guys like 22LR but I know i wouldn't buy one. I already have a Hery Lever 22 - a great rifle - but after the "shortage", I haven't shot a 22. I found that I would shoot more cartridges in calibers I could reload using lighter boolits (less lead), lighter charges and have just as much fun. There will always be dedicated 22 shooters but there are so many good selections out there for rifles that I don't think they'd sell enough to make it worth worthwhile - but I've been wrong many times in my life.

I'm looking to possibly get one in 308 = primarily because they don't make one in 30-30 - which I can't believe they don't do due to the popularity of the cartridge that's been around a long time. I also would be interested in one in a 32 cal as outpost speaks of. Problem is, they have to limit their selection of calibers and no matter what they make, there will be a caliber that someone wants they don't make.

I haven't had the opportunity to handle one yet but I'm sure the quality is as fine as their other rifles - which to me is a plus. But unless they do something about the trigger pull on them, they are going to miss out on a lot of potential sales. The quality IMHO is too good to have a weak point of a bad trigger.

I smiled when I saw the Ithaca Model 49 mentioned. Boy, did that bring back memories. We had a family owned sporting goods store in our small town when I was a kid - the owners were good friend of my folks. I used to go in their store and bitterly drool over the Ithaca 49s on the rack - I wanted one sooooooo bad. I remember the basic one was about $33.00 or so and the fancier deluxe one, with a gold trigger and hammer IIRC was about $25.00. That was a looooong time ago! I never did get one as I got 50 cents for mowing a lawn and I had better uses for what I earned. I just continued using my Dad's old 1915 Stevens Favorite. Still have the Favorite but haven't shot it in years - think of Dad overtime I look at it though.

Boolit Master
    Good point, I change my "wish" to 327fed, but it's gotta go on a diet!
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

You would think some one would make a 32 class rifle, in same price bracket as 22s. I know what a
    Walking Rifle is, only we call them cruising pieces. There were a lot of choices in old days with RFs
    from 22 to 44 and 25/20s & 32/20s. When walking around in the Eastern woods a lot of guys would
    like to have a .25 or .32 cal gun just to put a hole in whatever ails them. A Varmit class 224 cal rifle
    is not needed. There were a lot of deer killed with 25rf Stevens and probably bigger stuff out west.
    At a gun show one time a guy had a 25acp and 32acp semi auto rifles. They were Dryse of Germany
    and pre WW1. I was interested in the 32 until I saw the price tag. Even a little bolt action or single
    shot in 9mm would be nice. Closest I had to that was Spanish Destroyer carbine in 9mm Largo. There is a lot of times you would like something with more thump than a 22, but don't need a HV
    rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    I would like to see a really light walking gun under 4-1/2 pounds with 24" barrel in .327 Federal, which could also use .32 H&R Magnum or .32 S&W Long. Midland Backpacker clone of Beretta folder would be logical platform for this.

That would be my wish also. Gp

Agree that what is needed is a "boys' rifle" size single shot in .22 LR, not a fullsize. Admittedly my collection of these delightful little rifles is overflowing the safe, so I'm hardly unbiased, but even for adults, that size and weight rifle is the perfect companion for a woods walk. As thousands proved by buying Stevens Favorites by the carload.

I don't want a new Favorite. A breakopen I feel is a better one for kids, since it can be carried open, the way shotgunners do, so Dad can see at a glance the status of the gun, even from 50 yards away. C'mon, Henry, let's see what you can do!

BTW my "kitchen-door" gun is a rebarreled 1915 Favorite. Quicker to deploy than a bigger rifle when I need to discipline the 'possums, skunks, and raccoons.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    Well, Henry already has someone, or are making a .32 with the proper bore diameter. To be honest, I have an Encore that I could buy a barrel for cheaper, but if the price where rite a 327 would be nice. A big drawback for me is that I can't hunt small game with a center fire rifle per game regulations.

I have no use for a heavy .22 at all. I like Outpost's idea of the walking rifle in .32 caliber and I would use the Yildiz .410 folder as a start.

I'd like to see them offer a much longer, heavier barrel myself. Something that could be used for BPCR matches, or silhouette matches. Maybe even an octagon barrel.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by marlinman93 View Post
    I'd like to see them offer a much longer, heavier barrel myself. Something that could be used for BPCR matches, or silhouette matches. Maybe even an octagon barrel.
    While I agree with you completely, the rules for a replica action that conforms to the American SS rifles of pre 1896 and exposed hammer and their named exceptions would have to be followed. I doubt Henry would ever build one.
    Chill Wills

Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    While I agree with you completely, the rules for a replica action that conforms to the American SS rifles of pre 1896 and exposed hammer and their named exceptions would have to be followed. I doubt Henry would ever build one.
    The Henry design is very similar to other break open rifles built pre 1898, and I see no reason it wouldn't be allowed? The tip up design is very similar to Stevens Tip Ups, and even more so to Wurrflein tip up rifles. Slightly different release on the Stevens, but the Wurrflein is also a top release similar to H&R or Henry.
    But even if the sanctioning bodies are that nit picky, I still think most silhouette matches would accept it. I also think a good number of shooters would prefer the option of a heavier round or octagon 30" barrel.

Vendor Sponsor

I'm not convinced. I shoot these games (a lot). I run the matches. I hear this logic about non-qualifying rifles, equipment and ammo all the time from people that are on the fringe and really don't compete. If a new to the game rifleman is serious about getting in, buying the wrong rifle in the hopes of using it for long is folly. He or she will be buying twice to stay in the game.
    We often offer to let someone try the match once but then they can make a choice to get the right rifle or not. This is an age old conversation in every and all shooting venues and disciplines, trap, skeet, highpower, creedmoor or silhouette. It always ends the same.
    Chill Wills

If a competitive break-open is what is needed, Henry should start making replica Maynards.
    Cognitive Dissident

Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    I'm not convinced. I shoot these games (a lot). I run the matches. I hear this logic about non-qualifying rifles, equipment and ammo all the time from people that are on the fringe and really don't compete. If a new to the game rifleman is serious about getting in, buying the wrong rifle in the hopes of using it for long is folly. He or she will be buying twice to stay in the game.
    We often offer to let someone try the match once but then they can make a choice to get the right rifle or not. This is an age old conversation in every and all shooting venues and disciplines, trap, skeet, highpower, creedmoor or silhouette. It always ends the same.
    So you guys really are that picky? I understand not allowing guns that might give the shooter an unfair advantage. But being picky and not allowing an entry level gun that nobody should see as a threat seems just petty for no real reason. If a top break rifle made today isn't allowed, then why even allow any clones made today? Seems like a new Browning 1885 without the tangs of the Traditional Hunter, would also be against the rules?

Boolit Master
    Marlin man you are spot on, this type of thinking is what hurts the shooting sports today! I shot for years in ML competition, on a state, local, and national level, at the NMLRA events, and different range officers see the rules different ways! I had a couple of knock down drag out arguments with them, and came out right every time! I just did not loose my cool and stayed resepectful, and pointed out that another lady shooter was doing the same thing I did, but because she was a well known shooter, they never gave her a second look, and she even came to my rescue, telling them to get lost and let me shoot in peace. I just posted this thread to see what you guys think of a single shot .22, on an entry level rifle. I did not ask about other calibers, or ask you folks to get persnickety about the rules of BPCR-22 matches, as I pointed out that it would be used for informal matches, but could be upgraded to a match level rifle, hopefully! I had 12 guys that are serious shooters, that would buy one in a heart beat, and that is from a small town in KY, I thought the open minded guys and gals who visit this forum would embrace the concept, proved me wrong!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast