RepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWideners
Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lemi Shine: A Cautionary Tale

Boolit Master

So, do you have a PP you want to get rid of now???

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by fiberoptik View Post
    Go to the pet supply store and buy the crystal cat litter. It’s the same stuff as in the little paper desiccant packets. Much cheaper! If you really need it in a package, tie some up in a holey sock. Mine always die in the heels anyways. Use the toe.
    The tip about crystal cat litter shows up periodically. After reading one of those tips several years ago, I went to one of the local chain pet stores to try to find some. I found a 15 lb bucket on the shelf priced about $15(I think! It was more than a week ago). On the shelf above there were 8 lb bags for $12(again I think!). I asked if the $15 price was correct. They told me that corporate had discontinued the buckets and to sell them at a discount. I took it home and still have about half.

Since I have a fairly large "safe", I take a quart paint can from the auto supply, punch holes with a Greenlee punch and line the can with screen wire. Fill the can with the crystals and set it in the safe, which also has a GoldenRod. After abut 3-4 months I empty the can and refill it with crystals or take it in the house and put it in the oven at ≈200º for a few hours. This rejuvenates(drys out) the crystals.

I admit that the "holey sock" is simpler.
    John
    W.TN

Richard, what Lemi Shine product did you use? They make about a dozen different ones, all under the "Lemi Shine" label.
    The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    I use citric acid. It is cheaper than Lemi-shine. About $10 for two pounds on Amazon. Lasts a long time at a teaspoon full at a time. (I use with Armorall wash and wax premium. About a teaspoon full of that, too.)

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JWT View Post
    Goldenrod is a low power heater. When the air inside the safe is warmer that outside it drives out the moisture (lowers the humidity).
    To be clear, it lowers the Relative Humidity.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RG1911 View Post
    I clearly should have paid more attention to the ingredients.

I did have chem in high school, back in the '60s. I, however, spent most of my time trying to make gun cotton and other more interesting concoctions. Now to find a good person to reblue the pistol.
    Cheers,
    Richard
    Before you go to the expense of re-bluing, I would suggest you first try Brownells Oxpho-Blue Cream to restore the bluing. I think you will be surprised at the result. It will give you a deep blue/black finish. Just clean the metal and I like using a toothbrush to rub it in, plus the brush will get into all the recesses. Once the desired color is reached wipe it down then apply a heavy coating of grease or gear lube over the bluing and let sit overnight as the color will deepen.Then wipe off the grease. Here are some examples of Oxpho used on completely bare steel.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_1702_3_1.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	95.2 KB 
ID:	227455Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_1704_3_1.JPG 
Views:	50 
Size:	108.5 KB 
ID:	227456Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_1705_3_1.JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	93.3 KB 
ID:	227457Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_1707_3_1.JPG 
Views:	51 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	227458

Boolit Grand Master

My parents dog slobbered on my car and it ate through the clear coat. It looked horrible!

We have to keep in mind that bluing is nothing more than ornamental rust/oxidation.

Sorry the bath caused the metal to lose it’s bluing. Let us know what you end up doing and make sure it’s well oiled to prevent rust.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Skipper View Post
    Richard, what Lemi Shine product did you use? They make about a dozen different ones, all under the "Lemi Shine" label.
    I'm not absolutely positive. I remember there was something about "Power Boost" on the label, and I think it said it was for dish washers. I threw it away so I'd never screw anything else up with it.

Richard

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by osteodoc08 View Post
    Sorry the bath caused the metal to lose it’s bluing. Let us know what you end up doing and make sure it’s well oiled to prevent rust.
    I'm not sure if it can be reblued. Every pin holding internal parts is flattened on each end so I, at least, cannot strip the frame.

In the meantime, it's thoroughly oiled.

Richard

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonheart View Post
    Before you go to the expense of re-bluing, I would suggest you first try Brownells Oxpho-Blue Cream to restore the bluing. I think you will be surprised at the result.
    Impressive! I may have some. I remember getting a few different bluing mixtures, such as 44-40, from Brownell's a few years ago. After a year in the new house, I'm *still* unpacking boxes.

Thank you for the tip.

Richard

Boolit Master
    Impressive! I may have some. I remember getting a few different bluing mixtures, such as 44-40, from Brownell's a few years ago. After a year in the new house, I'm *still* unpacking boxes.

Thank you for the tip. Richard
    Brownells has a lot of products to say the least and I have tried many of the bluing products over my many years, but for cold bluing the only one I have found that rivals a tank job is the Oxpho. You want the cream and not the Oxpho liquid. Liquids are fair for a small touch up, but for any area they tend to streak. Good luck with your project.

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.

Lemi Shine: A Cautionary Tale

I'm not absolutely positive. I remember there was something about "Power Boost" on the label, and I think it said it was for dish washers. I threw it away so I'd never screw anything else up with it.

Richard
    LemiShine
    Dish Detergent Booster
    Ingredients: natural citric extracts & citrus oils

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Mold
    I put my colt mustang in my ultrasonic with hornafy gun parts cleaner. It took the clear coat off the aluminum frame. Sent it back to colt. They refinished it for free. Took 5 months though.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    For cleaning my handguns and other parts in my ultrasonic cleaner I use a degreaser like "Simple Green" mixed with hot water. Of course this removes all the lubrication also. So a dip into my Ed's Red mix gets everything lubricated and protected. With this method I can thoroughly clean a lot of handguns in short order.
    I reserve the citric acid, vinegar or aggressive cleaners for cases or parts than need it or for my pin tumbler.

Lemi Shine is citric acid as stated above.

Years ago I had the laboratory where I worked in a large food processing/manufacturing plant analyze Lemi Shine. It came back as 95% or greater citric acid. When the package/labeling changed an email to Lemi Shine confirmed the product was the same and just the labeling had changed to what is pictured above.

Besides cleaning brass I use it to remove hard water deposits from dishwashers which it works well on also.

Just FYI

GD
    #2 member of the 10%ers

Lemishine will also do a good job at removing logos from some souvenir mugs whether you like it or not!

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    So it should clean hard water crusties from coffee makers then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

As I have now learned. It doesn't advertise itself as an acid, unfortunately for the Walther.
    well... citric acid..... lemons... citrus.... mayee it didn't need to advertise this fact? Kinda reminds me of the dumb 'may contain peanuts' labels on jars of peanut butter.

Boolit Master
    There are a lot of uses for citric acid, so instead of paying $4+ for 12 ounces, not counting the time and expense of going to get it, why not do as I do and buy food grade pure Citric Acid delivered to my door from Amazon for $13.49 for 5 Pounds!

Boolit Master
    very interesting thread. I tried an ultrasonic with lemishine for brass cleaning- it works but I went back to walnut/corncob. Tomorrow will get rid of the lemishine so I don't accidentally decide to clean anything else. This thread explains a very mottled AR bolt that I have- it came out clean but very ugly.
    Loren

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast