WidenersReloading EverythingRepackboxLoad Data
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tire recommendations

Boolit Master

Tire recommendations

Well it's time for new tires on the truck and I'm looking for tire recommendations. The truck is a 2013 Ram 2500 4x4 Megacab. Standard tires are load range E. I tow a 5th wheel and this is my regular commuter with a mixed commute of highway and back roads. We get enough snow here in Virginia so all season tires are a must. Im off road less than 10% or so.

The tire site general easy answer is the usual BF Goodrich All Terrains, but I know from past experience they are not the greatest on the gas mileage side. I'm looking to spend around $200 per tire.

Of the tires out there what are the better choices for good traction, wear, mileage etc and which ones should I avoid for my application.

Boolit Grand Master

With your traction requirements, I just don't know. I've always favored high end tires like Bridgestone or Michelin. The life and mileage I get from them seems to off set the cost somewhat.

Boolit Master

I ran Bridgestone ATs on my 2500 pulling a 38' 5th wheel.

Boolit Buddy
    When I had my Super Duty I really liked the Firestone Transforce offerings. the two outer ribs were almost solid providing good rigidity when cornering for a heavy duty application especially when towing, while the inner ribs provided good traction. I always went for the AT version although it sounds like the HT version may suit you just as well.

Everything is a compromise. You have to decide which parts are the most important to you.

I've not tried them....but a friend has had good service from Nitto tires on a 2500..... I'm a BFG TA guy myself, but that's on a Toyota pickup, so very different application.
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Banned

Michelin XPS Traction
    Last a long long time
    Good on and off road.

Boolit Master
    When I had my truck the dealer had some Hankook tires that nobody wanted so he sold them to me at a good price. Five years later I traded the truck and the tires were still in great shape. I did a lot of hunting back then, two miles down a logging road off the dirt road to get to my stand, and towed an 18 ft. Ranger bass boat when I wasn't hunting.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Quote Originally Posted by seetrout View Post

Everything is a compromise. You have to decide which parts are the most important to you.
    snow traction and high mileage life are not found together

Boolit Master
    We got 70000 miles out of a set of Cooper A/T's on a 4wd Suburban, believe it or not. That was our last 4x4, prolly 10 years ago, before I pick up a new to me full size Jimmy at the end of the month. It has Michelins on it that are warranted for 60k.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom W. View Post
    When I had my truck the dealer had some Hankook tires that nobody wanted so he sold them to me at a good price. Five years later I traded the truck and the tires were still in great shape. I did a lot of hunting back then, two miles down a logging road off the dirt road to get to my stand, and towed an 18 ft. Ranger bass boat when I wasn't hunting.
    I've had Hancocks on my last two trucks. Current set has been on nearly ten years, and are still in great condition. I don't drive all that much though.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Grouchy Old Curmudgeon

I have had all brands of tires and anymore I use Michelin. They are more expensive at times but I get 60,000 miles out of them so overall it's a bargain I think.

I’m a big fan of Firestone Destination A/T’s, decent traction, low road noise and I average around 40k a set without rotating or balancing them. Not to shabby in my book.
    Quote Originally Posted by sniper View Post
    Irish Proverb: Never approach a Bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or an Idiot from any direction!

If you never travel and then no need to match a tire far from home then a tire like Hankook or Kumo will wear very well because their rubber compounding is set for harsher use than the USA conditions subject it to as they are big in Asia and many under developed countries
    If you want USA built tires that can be found anywhere then Bridgestone, Michelin or Goodyear ...with the best ride to Goodyear, the longest mileage (UTQG rating equal to compare) to Michelin and the between-er Bridgestone ...honestly the COST PER MILE is pretty equal in the final analysis ...the Hankook or Kumo do actually offer the lowest cost per mile IF you don't need a replacement tire away from home
    Other known brands not mentioned seen around do build some good tires HOWEVER ...They do sometimes not always "get it right" first out of the box ...or "keep it right" down the road ... Good luck
    Bear

Boolit Buddy
    hankook dynapro atm on my pickup and wife's suburban. I know a fair amount of people that have them. Father in law pulled a toy hauler to mountains in Colorado with them on his suburban a couple months ago. I've been told they do well in the snow. They'll come in under your budget to the point you could probably get a spare for what you planned to spend

Boolit Man
    BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2 is what I have on my Ram 2500. Great on snow and ice. I pull a 29 ft 5th wheel with a 18 ft boat behind it. Mileage is the same as the factory tires. They look really aggressive but don’t notice any more road noise.

Boolit Master
    I spent the money on Michelins one time, that was a total bust.
    didnt get anymore out of those than a WalMart tire.
    BF Goodrich all Terrains is about as good as it gets
    dodge 2500 Cummins

Boolit Master
    I have Hancocks on my chevy k1500 they were on it when I bought it 2 1/2 years ago. it goes in the snow hauls loads. I was in the field today in the wet grass never even needed the 4wd.

Boolit Grand Master

Lots of great tires out there to choose from. Which brands do your local tire center carry?

Boolit Master
    They put a set of Patagoanias (sp?) on one of our plow trucks over a year ago any we are actually very happy with them.
    We knew they were trying to save a buck and have called them Petunias but they have actually turned out to be a very good value for the $.
    "Don't worry what they think. In the end it is not between them and you, it is between you and God."

Je suis Charlie!

"You won't know until you Actually try it"

"The impossible just takes longer."

"Don't let them beat you down with their inexperience."

"You'll never accomplish what you don't try. " - Moldmaker

Boolit Master
    Thanks for all the input, though the decision is not final I think I'm down to the new Michelin Defender LTX, and the old standby BFG All Terrians.

We pretty much have the run of all the major tire shops and most have a price match deal of some sort.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast