RepackboxPBcastcoMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionWidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Auto Parts Cost Rant

Boolit Master

Auto Parts Cost Rant

Is it just me or are auto parts getting a little nuts?
    Recent purchases:
    4 spark plugs for Hyundai Veloster- $14.99 apiece, eventually found a "sale" for $8.99 each. Had to call 15 stores for it.
    Catalytic converters with downpipe for 2003 Silverado-$799.99 at local parts shop, eventually found them on Rockauto for $450 shipped.
    Spider injector harness with injectors for 2003 Silverado-$599.99 at local parts shop, found on Rockauto for $350 shipped.
    Upper and Lower intake manifold gaskets plus labor for 2003 Silverado-$825, had to have done at local shop.
    Evap sensor and solenoid plus labor for 2003 Silverado-$585, had to have done at local shop.
    Single Brake caliper plus labor and flush for 2003 Silverado- $506, had to have done at local shop.
    Brake pads and rotors for 2003 Silverado-$300 from local shop.

All this to sell the truck for $3000 with almost 170k on the clock. It went cheap because its two wheel drive/V-6/5-speed. Ran like a top afterwards. Shoulda just kept the thing. SWMBO said I cant have 2 trucks and a new motorcycle.
    I do everything I know how to do plus what I can figure out, I just don't have a garage and theres only so much I can do with 2 nonconsecutive days off a week being a business manager. I shop around to get the best deal on parts and labor, but some shops won't touch parts you bought for them to put on. Not enough profit in labor only. The cost of this stuff is just getting out of hand.

End Rant.

Boolit Master
    as for parts the internet is your friend. where were you when I was looking for a truck? I got a standard cab 4.3 now. I just did front brakes on the wife's truck, cost to me $25.00. put a water pump on my 4.3 cost $50.00.

Boolit Master
    Just had exhaust repair, $340 for replacement past converters, v6 but single main muffler out. Thought it to be a bit loud when they finished, but was quieter than when I drove in. I looked underneath and a slip joint from old to new was not welded or otherwise. There was at least a half inch all around too big on the expanded new pipe. Now that they welded that, I can now hear a smaller breather hole that is somewhere. Going back again.

Welding is something I've not learned but should. I know I would be better at inspecting what I've done.

Oh yea, just outside of Ft. Knox, they are expensive for anything here, especially dealer work. The muffler guy told me they do work for the dealers on exhaust. They must inflate that for a chunk profit.
    Most of the tanks are gone and the windows don't rattle anymore. I won't be able to sleep now.

Boolit Master
    Absolutely the internet is our friend when looking for parts. Some of the above was too time consuming and with no garage, it adds to the difficulty. We are saving for a downpayment on a house and told the woman of the house there will be a garage/loan will include money for a garage that will be built posthaste or no deal. Converters, brake pads/rotors, sparkplugs, cap/rotor, oil changes, tranny pan filters/gaskets, gearbox oil changes, all these are no problem, I have the skills and tools to do these things. The shops just get ya on the things I cant. It is what it is and the couple shops I have been to have done a good job.

The truck was basically pristine with a couple scratches. It sold in 4 days. I was asking $4k for it, $3k was what I needed out of it. Being here in St. Louis, nobody is gonna buy a vehicle with a check engine light on due to having emission checks to register vehicles every year. The shops know this and in my opinion, overcharge.

Boolit Grand Master

I've saved a ton on parts bought online. I always price them then go on ebay, amazon etc and compare.

Example: Driveshaft for my F150 was about $750 at the local store. I got one online direct from CCI Driveline in Michigan for $350 and got it spec'd with Dana/Spicer grease zerks. Free shipping

Front lower ball joints about $80 at the local store. Got a set online for under $20 again with grease zerks and free shipping.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

It is not with strength one will prevail; those who oppose The Lord will be broken

Boolit Master

Pretty typical mark-ups really. I recall a WSJ piece from way, way back, that calculated the cost of the parts, purchased over the counter, to assemble a typical $12,000 compact sedan (I said the numbers are from an old, old article ) would be in the neighborhood of $60,000...without any labor for putting them together.

I've got an old college buddy who's had a shop for over 40 years and will NOT repair any component (transmission, engine sub-assemblies, brake discs/calipers, etc.) when he can purchase a 'reman' replacement because, even at wholesale, cost of repair parts will usually add up to more than the cost of the 'reman' without allowing anything for his labor.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master
    On the cat converter.The"active ingrediant"in them is platinum.That`s the reason for the high cost.
    Remember several years ago when the cats were being stolen right off of the people`s vehicles?The precious metals was the reason.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Boolit Grand Master
    Prices of parts has become a real problem.
    Used to be a tune up cost under $100.
    These days just the wire set can cost $100.
    I remember buying plugs for under $1
    Now they run $3 for the same plug.
    Now they have those "special" plugs that can cost over $30 each.
    New cars do run cleaner, get better millage.
    But as they get older, they get dirty, eat more gas, and just don't run right.
    I miss the old days when you didn't need a $1000 tool to do repairs.

Boolit Buddy
    2006 Ridgline. Power steering pressure hose went, drained and knocked out the pump. Pump was $220, the hose alone was $240, pulse labor, couldn’t believe it. They claimed it was something that just never happens, took about 2 weeks to even find the parts

Ha! Each plug of my 2005 Ford F150 is stupidly priced at $19.99 EACH. Two piece plug that will break.
    Oh well. I had the rear window regulator break a cable last month. Can't just get cable or even motor, whole assembly. $100 at local stores. $35 shipped to me thru ebay. And works fine with same warranty. Parts are stupid high, but having them installed for you is EXTREMELY RIDICULOUSLY expensive. Glad I can still wrench.

Boolit Master

You should buy tractor parts.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master
    Believe me I know about auto parts. Plumbing and heating parts are no different I feel bad for sending people bills for repairs now days. I thank God my best friend is a mechanic.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hickory View Post
    You should buy tractor parts.
    2nd this
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master

Technology is not our friend. It makes everything more expensive to buy and much more expensive to fix. And half the stuff you can't fix yourself, because you don't have $500,000 in Diagnostic equipment.

At $35,000 as the average price for a vehicle these days, does it even make sense to try to fix much yourself.

It's created a true THROW-AWAY Society. You buy a TV or a can opener, you can't get the cheap chinese stuff fixed because, they don't sell parts and there is no one left to fix them. The Fix-it shop no longer exists.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    try rock auto got ac condenser for 35 or so dollars auto parts stores $160 cheapest of them all.

Boolit Master
    Just got back in the house from trying to work on the wife's 2009 HHR. The lower control arms are shot. I looked up all of the information on how to replace them as well as the costs and then went out and put kroil on all of the fasteners. I started disassembly on the passenger side first. Ball joint and frame mount came apart fine (3 bolts down and 1 to go). The bushing mount... It seems that when I had the transmission replaced/repaired at 106,000 miles that they had an issue with the cradle bolt that goes through the bushing, so instead of a bolt head I have what looks like a rusted washer and nylock nut that have been welded to a stud or the remains of the cut off bolt. There is no way to remove the lower control arm.

So now I have a car that shakes so badly that it is unsafe without a way to repair it that doesn't cost more than the car is worth. Oh, and the transmission is slipping (145,000 miles) again.

How should I address this problem?

Boolit Master
    Know what you mean. I think I've spent about $10,000 over the last 4 years on vehicle repairs and maintenance. Between a bad back, no garage to work in, very short and steep driveway; I can't even do an oil change.
    I'm exceptionally blessed to have a very knowledgeable & resourceful and very honest mechanic who knows diesels as well as gas-ahol vehicles.

Also, for those like me who live in high sales tax states, the government encourages high prices because it increases the amounts that they then extort from the consumer.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Master
    I got the same truck as you. I paid $150 installed for a catalytic convertor. My rack and pinion cost me $175 and I installed it. I work on my local NAPA manager's store, church and house. I get the jobber's price on parts.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JWT View Post
    Just got back in the house from trying to work on the wife's 2009 HHR. The lower control arms are shot. I looked up all of the information on how to replace them as well as the costs and then went out and put kroil on all of the fasteners. I started disassembly on the passenger side first. Ball joint and frame mount came apart fine (3 bolts down and 1 to go). The bushing mount... It seems that when I had the transmission replaced/repaired at 106,000 miles that they had an issue with the cradle bolt that goes through the bushing, so instead of a bolt head I have what looks like a rusted washer and nylock nut that have been welded to a stud or the remains of the cut off bolt. There is no way to remove the lower control arm.

So now I have a car that shakes so badly that it is unsafe without a way to repair it that doesn't cost more than the car is worth. Oh, and the transmission is slipping (145,000 miles) again.

How should I address this problem?
    Junk it or sell it for what you car. Any car with that many problems at such low mileage is only destined to nickle and dime you to death.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Master

Technology is not our friend. It makes everything more expensive to buy and much more expensive to fix. And half the stuff you can't fix yourself, because you don't have $500,000 in Diagnostic equipment.

At $35,000 as the average price for a vehicle these days, does it even make sense to try to fix much yourself.

It's created a true THROW-AWAY Society. You buy a TV or a can opener, you can't get the cheap chinese stuff fixed because, they don't sell parts and there is no one left to fix them. The Fix-it shop no longer exists.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast