RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWideners
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Needed: 44 Magnum 260 grain LSWCPB (BHN12) starting load information.

Talking Needed: 44 Magnum 260 grain LSWCPB (BHN12) starting load information.

I have a Uberti Callahan that is shooting high (correction: low) with my 240 grain loads and want to experiment with a heavier bullet to bring down the point of impact before I start filing the front sight. Has anyone had any experience with this type bullet? I just purchased a sample pack from Matt's and am anxious to try it out..thanks in advance!
    Last edited by SamuelGrath; 09-16-2018 at 02:00 PM.

Boolit Buddy

Well first off, Welcome to the addiction. I don't have the boolit you ask for but I do have a 280grain rnfp.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180713_201755.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	34.5 KB 
ID:	227240
    Powder coated with smoke's clear.

Boolit Master

Filing the front sight down will move the bullet impact higher.

At close range, like 25 to 50 yards, a heavier bullet will usually shoot higher than a lighter one due to dwell time in the barrel. Upon ignition the revolver begins to recoil. The longer it takes to get out the end of the barrel, the higher the bullet will impact. Try a 200 gr bullet, and let us know what happens. Crank up the velocity too if the load permits it.
    Last edited by Rattlesnake Charlie; 09-16-2018 at 11:38 AM. Reason: add clarifying text

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Agree with Charlie..... you don't need heavier, you need lighter and faster to bring the impact point down.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

My bad:(

Quote Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Charlie View Post
    Filing the front sight down will move the bullet impact higher.

At close range, like 25 to 50 yards, a heavier bullet will usually shoot higher than a lighter one due to dwell time in the barrel. Upon ignition the revolver begins to recoil. The longer it takes to get out the end of the barrel, the higher the bullet will impact. Try a 200 gr bullet, and let us know what happens. Crank up the velocity too if the load permits it.
    Sorry guys my mistake (uggh) meant my revolver is shooting low, I had to aim at a piece of tape on the top of the target sheet to get my groups on paper...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DERPER~8.jpg  

Boolit Master
    You are more fortunate than having it shoot over the moon. Find a load you want to keep and use constantly and then worry about the sights. You can find a piece of paper big enough to shoot at.
    Once you find the load then file the front not until you ARE SURE you have the load you want.

Again I am not meaning any harm, hurt, anguish or taunting with my post. I am just making a statement based on my experience, knowledge, and/or belief nothing more or less. please take it that way. If you find value in what I say fine. If you don't fine too. I am not calling out, trolling or baiting anyone. Thank you for your understanding.

Thanks 44Mag#1, no worries here about my feelings lol, just playing with the bullet weights now to see what she likes before dialing it in.

I like the results softer lead gives me (aka cowboy loads) with the plain base. The bullets I purchased from Desperado are excellent and little to no leading, but I still like to tinker...

Thanks Grmp! Looks like a snapshot from my Lymans Cast Bullet Handbook. I believe the #2 alloy has a BHN of 15, since my bullets are 5 grains lighter and a softer alloy (12BHN advertised) I was thinking of a starting charge of 10gr Unique. I want to keep the velocity under 1000 fps as much as possible given the tendency lead without a gas check..
    Last edited by SamuelGrath; 09-16-2018 at 02:06 PM.

Hey Flailguy, those are some HUGH bullets! Rifle or handgun?

Thanks again Grmps! Think I roll up some with Bullseye and W231 for comparison...I sure would have liked to see that black bear the "Kidd" shot at 13yds. I think I would have just about wet my knickers at that point lololol!

Boolit Buddy

Handgun so far hope to try them in a lever someday.

Boolit Master
    1. 12 BHN should have no problem doing quite a bit more than 1000 FPS without leading. Elmer Keith and many others since have proven that, myself included.
    Try 2400, H110/W296 with that alloy.
    2. 900 to 1000 FPS is a decent load powerwise too. Should be enough for most things with good shot placement.
    3. If one is recoil sensitve one needs to get over that and the best way is to experience it. Not avoid it. Recoil is handled in the mind not the body once one has enough strength to hold on to the gun.

Again I mean no harm, hurt, anguish, turmoil to anyone on here. I am mearly making a statement based on my experience, knowledge and/or belief, nothing more. I am not baiting, calling out or trolling anyone. Please dont take my post in that way. Thank you.

Not a problem 44, any suggested charge weights with those powders? I read somewhere on this site you can use a heavier bullet charge starting load and work from there...sound right? Thanks again!

Thinking about trying mine in my Winnie also, will let you know how it turns out!

Boolit Grand Master

How long is your barrel? I got the Cattleman in both 7.5" barrel and 4.75" barrel. They both had the same front sight. The long barrel shot to the sights - this in 44-40, 37gr FFFG Goex and a 200gr Big Lube boolit. This is the traditional load. The short barrel shot way low, had to file the sights to get it on the target.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    The data in the photo of the 265 gr Saeco will more than likely be good.'
    I occasionally shoot a H&G 270 Keith bullet but generally use A2400 and a standard primer,

Again I mean no harm, hurt, anguish, turmoil to anyone on here. I am merely making a statement based on my experience, knowledge and/or belief, nothing more. I am not baiting, calling out or trolling anyone. Please dont take my post in that way. Thank you.

9.0 of power pistol shot well with similar weight boolits for me. Standard disclaimers
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast