Lee PrecisionLoad DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2
RepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything

Thread: 666+1 / Satan's Lube users. . .I gotta question? ? ?

Boolit Buddy

666+1 / Satan's Lube users. . .I gotta question? ? ?

A friend has turned me on to this lube and has been pretty good thus far. My question is; Is it o.k. to remelt it (maybe even several times in the same soup can) again in order to pour it into my Star sizer? I'm not boiling it, just enough to make it liquid again. I don't foresee an issue, but I rather ask. Also, to the Satan's Lube user's, how do you like it and what is your performance opinion of it. Thank you.

This lube is made from the same ingredients as many other lubes:

6 oz vaseline
    6 oz paraffin
    6 oz beeswax
    1 oz Ivory bar soap

There is no reason it can't be remelted. A double boiler is recommended to avoid scorching.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Tatume View Post
    This lube is made from the same ingredients as many other lubes:

6 oz vaseline
    6 oz paraffin
    6 oz beeswax
    1 oz Ivory bar soap

There is no reason it can't be remelted. A double boiler is recommended to avoid scorching.
    Thank you for the quick reply. I tried the double boiler and it sat in the for a little over 30 minutes and didn't melt much and I ran out of patients, so I just placed the soup can on my outside burner on a very low setting and that only took about 15 minutes. Like I said, I didn't boil it and it barely even smoked, so I feel it should be good to go.

Boolit Master
    Do you have a heat gun? I just hold my container over the reservoir and play the hot air on the lube. The surface melts and pours into the reservoir.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Boolit Master

When i make lube i pour it into a sheat. Then cut it into strips. I just roll the lube into strips and stuff it into the sizer. Its quicker than trying to melt and pour.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Moderator Emeritus

Next time you melt some lube, put a cooking thermometer in the lube.
    Beeswax shouldn't be heated above 185ºF, it will start to turn brown and begin to scorch.
    Now 666+1 will probably withstand a little more heat than 185, due to it being only about 1/3 beeswax...but probably not too much more???
    If the melt temp is much higher (due to the addition of soap), I would avoid repeated remelting of 666+1
    Maybe just heat it to a 'plastic' stage and use a spatula to smear it into the lube reservoir.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for all the replies and helpful information fellas. I think I'm just going to scrap the 666+1 lube project. I'll use what I have left for fluxing or something. I don't like the idea of something not being consistent or altering with my ammo. I'm very anal (long range precision rifle shooter) about my loads and even though these are for my handguns and not LR rifle shooting, it still would be in the back of my mind that "the lube" could be a weak link. . .it would just drive me nuts! I believe I'm gonna go the Ben's Red Lube route next. I have only read good reports on it to date. Thanks again.

Well you going to have real fun trying to melt Ben's Red

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dimaprok View Post
    Well you going to have real fun trying to melt Ben's Red

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
    Well, I made a batch of Ben's Red yesterday and I screwed up on my first attempt, but not to bad. My second go at it was a success and it is a very simple recipe. After the freezer time frame I took it out and cut it into blocks and placed one in a soup can for melting. . .it was a breeze. It took a little longer to solidify enough for me to use my press, but when it did all was good. I'll be heading to the spray fields this weekend to shoot some.