Reloading EverythingWidenersLoad DataInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Repackbox

Thread: QuickLoad case dimensions info

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance

QuickLoad case dimensions info

Hi all - I have a copy of QuickLoad ordered (Long story - Friend's buying it for me.) Unsure when I'll get it. Soon enough probably. For case re-forming I had a thought, is the information in the QuickLoad databases in a known format so it could be used to search for suitable donor cartridges in the future when I come up with another wildcat or shot shell or whatever I want to make from some donor brass? If not I can start putting my own database together, UGH though LOL

Boolit Master
    Denmark (a greasy little spot in Scandinavia)
    You're SOL!
    Quickload bases it's calculations on volume not actual case dimensions.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	QL case data.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	49.6 KB 
ID:	227233

Aw DRAT. Well, it happens. Thank you! I can start getting data (lots of it conflicting) from my bunch of manuals and online, and entering it... I suspect I'll have some conflicting data on some things LOL

Boolit Master
    QL does have dimensional drawings for many of the cartridges that I find useful in looking at potential case forming work. I just don't know how they are stored and if there is any way to search them other than my old "call up the cartridge and look at the drawing" strategy. Most, but by no means all, of the cartridges in QL have a nice drawing with max case dimensions shown.

When you call up the main QL page with your cartridge selected, if there is a little colored rectangle showing right under the left-hand side of the "Selected Cartridge" window you click on the little rectangle and get the case drawing.

Like I said, I have found that very handy at times.

Good to know I've been a programmer since the 70s so I can figure something out once I have the data captured, and might even be able to figure out their storage scheme. (I don't "like" database programming much, but it's like anything else, sometimes you have to do it.) If I can avoid the "scut work" that's always nice. ("scut work" is what COMPUTERS are for! LOL)

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by earlmck View Post
    QL does have dimensional drawings for many of the cartridges that I find useful in looking at potential case forming work. I just don't know how they are stored and if there is any way to search them other than my old "call up the cartridge and look at the drawing" strategy. Most, but by no means all, of the cartridges in QL have a nice drawing with max case dimensions shown.

When you call up the main QL page with your cartridge selected, if there is a little colored rectangle showing right under the left-hand side of the "Selected Cartridge" window you click on the little rectangle and get the case drawing.

Like I said, I have found that very handy at times.
    Then the man is no better of than using "Handloaders Manual of Cartridge Conversions" and look them up manually.

17nut - Yes. Just means I'll have to put a LOT of data in from there - all manually.

Boolit Master
    Quickload also makes case design software named QuickDesign.
    That bit will let you play as your heart desires

https://www.neconos.com/details3a.htm

Hmmm, good info! I'll call them and see if I can export the data (if it's in text form that's be simple.) Thank you!

Boolit Master
    All you need is

1. Table of case volumes which can be found on the net.
    2. An Excel spread sheet set up to calculate case volumes.
    EDG

EDG - Sadly, no. To make a shot shell for, say, 9mm Luger, or 45 Colt (Long Colt), you need to find a donor case that has an appropriate rim diameter and thickness, groove size, base diameter, and which is longer than the target case by a nice amount, so you can then cut it shorter. Or if making say 257 Roberts cases from others, a 45-70 or 50BMG case have lots of case volume but aren't really suitable.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Sheesh View Post
    Hi all - I have a copy of QuickLoad ordered (Long story - Friend's buying it for me.) Unsure when I'll get it. Soon enough probably. For case re-forming I had a thought, is the information in the QuickLoad databases in a known format so it could be used to search for suitable donor cartridges in the future when I come up with another wildcat or shot shell or whatever I want to make from some donor brass? If not I can start putting my own database together, UGH though LOL
    Precision Firearm & Load Records ($39.95) contains databases that allow you to enter all your personal firearms, bullets, powder and cartridge case data and dimensions.

The cartridge case section will, accurately, calculate the internal case capacity from those dimensions.

(Click on images to enlarge)

Name:	Cartridge data image.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	99.7 KB 
ID:	227490

The software also contains an application that will easily convert your firearm, cartridge case, bullet and powder dimensions and particulars into individual QuickLoad text files that can then be directly opened into the QuickLoad application.

Name:	Quickload firearm image.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	108.2 KB 
ID:	227486 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Quickload application image.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	112.5 KB 
ID:	227483 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Quickload bullets image.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	107.9 KB 
ID:	227487 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Quickload powders image.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	113.7 KB 
ID:	227488

Name:	Quickload cartridge selection image.PNG 
Views:	13 
Size:	26.8 KB 
ID:	227489
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cartridge data image.jpg  
    Respectfully,
    Tom Myers
    Precision Shooting Software

Interesting. For making shot shells from donor cartridges, though, I need the case dimensions, and case volume is a moot point. A huge cartridge that will not chamber or extract short of a sledgehammer being used to seat it, won't do.

Boolit Master
    That has nothing to do with quick load.
    You are talking about case conversions. There are several books on the subject and the data already exists in Cartridges of the World. I can remember seeing both dimensional and volumetric data in 1960s American Rifleman magazines more than 50 years ago.

People have been using ordinary data tables to research case conversions since long before there were either PCs or quick load.

You will be surprised to know that cases vary over time from a manufacturer and they vary from manufacturer to manufacturer.
    So you can get small variations that can only be found by putting your hands on the brass and measuring it.
    There are also variations in chamber dimensions from one gun to the next. Sometimes the variations can affect the fit of the brass. The only real way to know what works is to measure the chamber and measure the donor cases. Data tables are not exact. All guns are not the same. All brass is not the same.

Real life example
    The back end of a 6.5X53R Dutch Mannlicher chamber measures .452 dia.
    You normally use .303 British brass made by WW or RP. These cases measure .450 to .452 and are a perfect fit after forming.
    PPU .303 brass measures .454 to .455 and will not work without turning the case head down to .452.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Sheesh View Post
    EDG - Sadly, no. To make a shot shell for, say, 9mm Luger, or 45 Colt (Long Colt), you need to find a donor case that has an appropriate rim diameter and thickness, groove size, base diameter, and which is longer than the target case by a nice amount, so you can then cut it shorter. Or if making say 257 Roberts cases from others, a 45-70 or 50BMG case have lots of case volume but aren't really suitable.
    Last edited by EDG; 09-23-2018 at 06:37 AM.
    EDG