StainLess Steel MediaRepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Graf & SonsInline FabricationWideners

Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Need advise on "real" bullet load

  1. #1
    Boolit Buddy vrh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    256

    Need advise on "real" bullet load

    Hello everyone.
    I have a CVA Frontier and a CVA Hawkin rifle. Both are 50 cal.
    Going to the range Monday and going to shoot some LEE 250 Gr. "Real " bullets.

    Does anyone have a load that they use when shooting these type of bullets? Real curious as to how they will do in these rifles.
    Da Okie/ Now known as Vearl

  2. #2
    Boolit Master


    tomme boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Clinton, Iowa
    Posts
    4,139
    They don't like to be driven fast. I like to use a felt base wad base wad. Makes a huge difference in the 4 guns I have. I lube the wads with TC bore butter in the microwave. And swab between shots. Use real black. Use consistent seating pressure and never beat or tap the bullet down the barrel.

    Every gun is going to be different on the load but mine like in the 70-80gr 3f for accuracy and 90gr 3f for hunting

  3. #3
    Boolit Master
    triggerhappy243's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Albuquerque N.M.
    Posts
    1,885
    vrh.............one thing that is crucial, is the bands of the bullets must be sharp, completely filled out. I started my work up at 60 gr. pyrodex. I need to try the wool wads next.

  4. #4
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    808
    Quote Originally Posted by vrh View Post
    Hello everyone.
    I have a CVA Frontier and a CVA Hawkin rifle. Both are 50 cal.
    Going to the range Monday and going to shoot some LEE 250 Gr. "Real " bullets.

    Does anyone have a load that they use when shooting these type of bullets? Real curious as to how they will do in these rifles.
    I am gonna ask Why? and you are proly gonna say cuz I want to ...................(no better reason!!)
    These are good roundball guns - if you have that round ball load sorted - you can do close to 2000 FPS and put em inside three inches at 100yards - I wonder what the REAL boolit gains over that??

  5. #5
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    692
    Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    I am gonna ask Why? and you are proly gonna say cuz I want to ...................(no better reason!!)
    These are good roundball guns - if you have that round ball load sorted - you can do close to 2000 FPS and put em inside three inches at 100yards - I wonder what the REAL boolit gains over that??
    Simple (weight)

  6. #6
    Boolit Master Good Cheer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    the Ark
    Posts
    2,977
    If you're hunting then a blunt heavy soft lead boolit performs well on animals.
    If you're enjoying shooting your muzzleloader then finding out how various boolits work is a lot of fun.
    Why would you not want to try REAL's? Minie's. Double ball loadin' fer bars? Quick loading loose balls? Target shootin' tight balls? Light loads? Heavy loads? Goldie Locks loads? 3F? 2F? Paper patch? 40 weight cotton drill washed three times? Peanut oil? Olive oil? Lanolin? Peanut butter?

    But what I'd really really really like to have is a steam punk bull barreled scoped flintlock with rifling to shoot heavy paper patched .58 hollow based molds.
    Maybe a replacement barrel for the Pedersoli 1816...

  7. #7
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    808
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    Simple (weight)
    more weight less speed = zero net gain

    old CVA will shoot minies ok but you gotta mean it when ya load the powder

  8. #8
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    808
    Quote Originally Posted by Good Cheer View Post
    If you're hunting then a blunt heavy soft lead boolit performs well on animals.
    If you're enjoying shooting your muzzleloader then finding out how various boolits work is a lot of fun.
    Why would you not want to try REAL's? Minie's. Double ball loadin' fer bars? Quick loading loose balls? Target shootin' tight balls? Light loads? Heavy loads? Goldie Locks loads? 3F? 2F? Paper patch? 40 weight cotton drill washed three times? Peanut oil? Olive oil? Lanolin? Peanut butter?

    But what I'd really really really like to have is a steam punk bull barreled scoped flintlock with rifling to shoot heavy paper patched .58 hollow based molds.
    Maybe a replacement barrel for the Pedersoli 1816...
    why not??? got too many other projects goin on !!!

  9. #9
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    692
    Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    more weight less speed = zero net gain

    old CVA will shoot minies ok but you gotta mean it when ya load the powder
    Sorry thought you were killin stuff ,if paper punching your right . Reals group great over a wad @ 100 too just makes bigger paper trails and waste more lead ! On the plus side you can plant beans in the furrows .

  10. #10
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    808
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    Sorry thought you were killin stuff ,if paper punching your right . Reals group great over a wad @ 100 too just makes bigger paper trails and waste more lead ! On the plus side you can plant beans in the furrows .
    How dead do ya want things? My hunting rig is a 54 CVA Hawken - light as a feather to carry - 220 grain RB over 120 grains FFg - its absolutely flattened anything I hit with it - Goats, Roos, a couple pigs. we dont have stuff downunder that eats ya (well - crocs and feral buffalo up north but nothin down south) we also dont have cheat seasons for muzzle loaders where ya get a week start on the other guy hunting so theres very little interest in inlines and such (scope sighted bolt guns that are pretend muzzle loaders)
    Sam Fadalas book had pictures of dead Bear, Elk, and Bison with Exit holes made by 54 round ball rifle - ????

  11. #11
    Boolit Master
    triggerhappy243's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Albuquerque N.M.
    Posts
    1,885
    I do not think vrh is the only guy wanting to tinker with Lee R.e.a.l's. The curiosity kinda tugs at you. Jonathan swore up and down he would never use them................ LOL Now he is hunting with them. Colo. banned 50 cal. RB for Elk in the muzzle loader season. I have a mold for it............. and I started to tinker, but my lead was a little too hard.(antimony-1%).

  12. #12
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    808
    Quote Originally Posted by triggerhappy243 View Post
    I do not think vrh is the only guy wanting to tinker with Lee R.e.a.l's. The curiosity kinda tugs at you. Jonathan swore up and down he would never use them................ LOL Now he is hunting with them. Colo. banned 50 cal. RB for Elk in the muzzle loader season. I have a mold for it............. and I started to tinker, but my lead was a little too hard.(antimony-1%).
    A few years back I visited the Museum of the Fur Trade in Chadron Nebraska, the lineup of firearms there is illuminating - plenty of 58 and 62 calibre, a couple of 54's - none of those old fellers went out in the mountains plinking Elk and Grizzly bears with 50 calibre guns - Colorado proly got it right!

  13. #13
    Boolit Master Oklahoma Rebel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    outside of Sand Springs, N.E. OK
    Posts
    2,354
    reals and similar projectiles may be slower, but hold their energy down range much better than a ball. I am using a cva Hawkins perc. in 50 caliber, and am getting very good accuracy with the 320 gr lee REAL, I just ordered a hi-viz front sight for it, because the front blade is very thin, and leave a lot of room on either side in the rear sight notch, but even then, I am getting 3-4 inch groups at 60 yards, which is good, considering I have only shot it a dozen or so times, I have tremors I have to deal with, and the afore mentioned skinny front blade, I'm sure with the hi viz it will improve, but even now, limiting myself to 75-ish yards, I wouldn't hesitate to take a pig today if I had a chance to! and cant wait for my first M/L deer hunt!!! I will let you know how that hi- viz works out. good luck!
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

  14. #14
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    3,375
    not to be picky but, more weight canceling out less speed (or vis-versa) isn't exactly so. Ke = 1/2W x (V x V). kenitic energy = half weight times velocity squared. only important to serious bean counters or long range hunters, but a thing, none the less.

  15. #15
    Boolit Master FrontierMuzzleloading's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Boncarbo,Colorado
    Posts
    567
    70-80gr 3FG Goex or Pyrodex p, lubed felt wad and the 250-320gr real shoot awesome out of my 1:48 to 1:32 twist muzzies.

  16. #16
    Boolit Master Good Cheer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    the Ark
    Posts
    2,977
    Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    why not??? got too many other projects goin on !!!
    Heh, there's more projects I'd like to go for than there's ever time for.

  17. #17
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    692
    Quote Originally Posted by 725 View Post
    not to be picky but, more weight canceling out less speed (or vis-versa) isn't exactly so. Ke = 1/2W x (V x V). kenitic energy = half weight times velocity squared. only important to serious bean counters or long range hunters, but a thing, none the less.
    Does not apply in my woods,as I have(never)seen either and darn few round ball shooters over 80 + yards !OH wait I know one , (83yds) me

  18. #18
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    The Pacific NorthWet
    Posts
    1,662
    I just want a phased plasma rifle in the 40W range, but will enjoy shooting anything ELSE I can get my sticky mitts on till I can buy one :P

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Abbreviations used in Reloading

BP Bronze Point IMR Improved Military Rifle PTD Pointed
BR Bench Rest M Magnum RN Round Nose
BT Boat Tail PL Power-Lokt SP Soft Point
C Compressed Charge PR Primer SPCL Soft Point "Core-Lokt"
HP Hollow Point PSPCL Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt" C.O.L. Cartridge Overall Length
PSP Pointed Soft Point Spz Spitzer Point SBT Spitzer Boat Tail
LRN Lead Round Nose LWC Lead Wad Cutter LSWC Lead Semi Wad Cutter
GC Gas Check