Load DataReloading EverythingLee PrecisionWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Whats your favorite .32 s&w long mold?

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by psweigle View Post
    The 32 s&w long. Ive seen tbem for sale from time to time.
    The only original old style round nose 32 bullet moulds I own are old S&W made moulds from the turn of the last century. I’ve cast and loaded a few rounds from the “peanut handle” mould, but just to try it, not for any real test. I tend to gravitate toward WC and SWC moulds otherwise.

Froggie

PS Here’s a picture of the “peanut handle mould” along with the earlier style from S&W and some sample bullets and ball. The early mould casts one bullet while the later has both bullet and ball. Both mould are also used for priming as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1C49DF05-D1D9-4C0C-BBCA-9A0D0B792B42.jpg   C90E8710-479E-404D-A1ED-C747238ADECD.jpg  
    Last edited by Green Frog; 09-18-2018 at 04:57 PM. Reason: Add PS and picture
    "It aint easy being green!"

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Accurate 31-105T was aimed towards a faithful copy of original .32 Colt New Police and .32-20 factory bullets, having a flat nose for small game and tube magazine use. It has proven versatile and accurate.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Accurate 31-105T was aimed towards a faithful copy of original .32 Colt New Police and .32-20 factory bullets, having a flat nose for small game and tube magazine use. It has proven versatile and accurate.
    Im curious as to what the weight is? I know different alloys affect it, but just a ballpark.Thanks

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    The only original old style round nose 32 bullet moulds I own are old S&W made moulds from the turn of the last century. I’ve cast and loaded a few rounds from the “peanut handle” mould, but just to try it, not for any real test. I tend to gravitate toward WC and SWC moulds otherwise.

Froggie
    I guess im a little odd, I still like to use a lee loader to do up a batch of 38 special from time to time. The idea of a single tool to cast, size, and load up a boolit kind of sounds like it would be fun. As far as boolit profiles and styles go, swc, full wc, and flat point rn, are pretty much what i like. Thanks

Boolit Grand Master
    I guess im a little odd, I still like to use a lee loader to do up a batch of 38 special from time to time. The idea of a single tool to cast, size, and load up a boolit kind of sounds like it would be fun. As far as boolit profiles and styles go, swc, full wc, and flat point rn, are pretty much what i like. Thanks
    You want to see odd, how about these ca 1890-1900 sets of 32 S&W loading tools from... Smith & Wesson!

Froggie
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4900FA33-6225-41A4-8B71-A304F23AB69A.jpg   S&W Tool Display.jpg  
    Last edited by Green Frog; 09-17-2018 at 09:35 PM.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Im curious as to what the weight is? I know different alloys affect it, but just a ballpark.Thanks
    105 grains in wheelweights.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    I have an Ideal No. 4 in .32 S&WL. I've only cast with it a couple of times, but I've loaded with it several times.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracy View Post
    I have an Ideal No. 4 in .32 S&WL. I've only cast with it a couple of times, but I've loaded with it several times.
    Lucky you! It has to be a hoot. Bet it gets a little warm on the hand though.

Boolit Master
    You want to see odd, how about these ca 1890-1900 sets of 32 S&W loading tools from... Smith & Wesson!

Froggie
    I can say for sure that ive never seen one of those before. That set looks very well taken care of.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    105 grains in wheelweights.
    Awesome. Thank you for the information.

Boolit Buddy
    I’ve had great luck with the Lee 311-93 and the NOE 315-118 SWC. I’ve been powder coating and sizing to .314 and the Lee gets crimped in the top lube groove. They both do very well out of my Ruger Single-Six. Great for plinking, small game or varmint/pests.

Both also do very well for my in the same revolver in 32h&r mag brass and in an old S&W in 32/20.

Boolit Master
    Boy, that lee mold sure does come up alot. Im pretty sure thats going to be my first one, followed by the rcbs. When I come into some extra cash i really want to get that accurate 31-105 for sure.

Boolit Grand Master

When we did the Lee group buy Keith series I got the 32 Keith mold. I'm glad I did.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Grand Master
    I can say for sure that ive never seen one of those before. That set looks very well taken care of.
    The "boxed set" actually was acquired on fleaBay recently while the display set, regretfully, is not mine. I finished gathering up the stuff I need to actually load with my "set" and have actually used it to put together a dozen or so rounds. I even wrote an article for the Antique Reloading Tool Collectors' Association (ARTCA) with it. I gathered up the stuff I needed to actually use the set, but for whatever reason, I can't get the picture Dale53 took of it to post, so here is a snapshot I took of the whole setup with my iPad. Note the early and late type bullet moulds as well as the Lee decapping rod and the crab mallet from Bed, Bath and Beyond.

Froggie
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A58EA5F1-B628-4A35-AF13-3216A9AB4304.jpg  
    Last edited by Green Frog; 09-18-2018 at 04:44 PM.

Boolit Master
    I love the old hand tools. It makes me appreciated the modern presses and dies so much more. The people of that era didnt shoot anywhere near as much as we do today. Its got to be neat to sit there and think that some old cowboy or sheriff might have used those out in the field.

Boolit Bub
    I have had good results with the Lee 90 grain TLSWC cast from COWW and lubed with Lee Liquid Alox loaded unsized. I shoot them in a S&W hand ejector with 4 inch barrel.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RangerDan View Post
    I have had good results with the Lee 90 grain TLSWC cast from COWW and lubed with Lee Liquid Alox loaded unsized. I shoot them in a S&W hand ejector with 4 inch barrel.
    There seems to be a following of this lee mold. Thanks for the input.

Boolit Grand Master
    There seems to be a following of this lee mold. Thanks for the input.
    Dale53 and I got a wild hair (perhaps inspired by an article from Ed Harris?) to use unsized TL bullets in the 32 and let the taper crimp in the final step “size” the bullets by squeezing them within the brass. IIRC, we were using the full WC available at the time and got some rather strange looking cartridges. Dale’s mould at least threw a big enough bullet to bulge the top part of the case noticeably, even after crimping. As I recall, initial results were not sufficiently good to inspire further testing. Something was different between the bullets Mr Harris got and the ones Dale got, perhaps the mould was cut with a smaller cherry or something, but we never came up to his promising results, and life is too short to drink cheap bourbon or reload inaccurate bullets!

Froggie

Boolit Master
    Dale53 and I got a wild hair (perhaps inspired by an article from Ed Harris?) to use unsized TL bullets in the 32 and let the taper crimp in the final step “size” the bullets by squeezing them within the brass. IIRC, we were using the full WC available at the time and got some rather strange looking cartridges. Dale’s mould at least threw a big enough bullet to bulge the top part of the case noticeably, even after crimping. As I recall, initial results were not sufficiently good to inspire further testing. Something was different between the bullets Mr Harris got and the ones Dale got, perhaps the mould was cut with a smaller cherry or something, but we never came up to his promising results, and life is too short to drink cheap bourbon or reload inaccurate bullets!

Froggie
    I have had pretty good luck so far with the lee molds dropping what they are supposed to. I bought a sizer .001 over what a jacketed bullet should be and most often it fits snog but not tight.
    I know, i know, a boolit should be fitted to the gun, but i cast for a multitude of guns in each caliber. I found that for cheap informal shooting, my powder coated boolits get the same accuracy as plated or cheap fmj.

[IMG][/IMG]

The lee 93-2r can be used as cast or turned into a hbwc with simple swaging setups like this.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast