Titan ReloadingLoad DataSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
RepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Wideners Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: S&W model 1903 hand ejector

Boolit Master
    It is great fun to reload for the HE. I did chronographed it in working up loads like the original factory loads albeit SWC's rather than round ball, along with some store-bought Fiochi:

S&W 32 Hand Ejector 5th Change
    98 grain lead swc:
    fps
    2.0 grains - Bullseye = 659, 642, 665
    2.1 grains - Bullseye = 694, 681, 689
    2.2 grains - Bullseye = 625, 757, 760
    Fiocchi Wad-cutters = 560, 587, 597, 608

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Some more .32 Long data:

.32 S&W Long Factory Vs. Handloads In Revolvers and Rifle
    Remington cases, Federal 200 primers in all handloads:

Ammo Type________________Colt 2”__________Colt 4”___________H&R18”

PMC 98 LRN factory_________687, 13 Sd_______797, 17Sd________945, 16 Sd
    Highest velocity factory load__103 ft-lbs._______138 ft.lbs.________194 ft.-lbs.

Remington 98 LRN factory_____645, 20 Sd______729, 12 Sd________899, 11 Sd

Western 98 LRN factory (1960s)_643, 19 Sd______658, 22 Sd________912, 17 Sd

Privi-Partisan 98 LRN_________656, 28 Sd_______675, 11 Sd________917, 21 Sd

Accurate 31-087T, 2.5 BE_____662, 16 Sd_______780, 22 Sd________1000, 15 Sd

Accurate 31-090B, 2.5 BE_____731, 26 Sd_______773, 11 Sd________1066, 16 Sd

Accurate 31-114D, 2.5 BE____746, 9 Sd_________795, 15 Sd________947, 11 Sd -- Not for pre-WW2 I-frames

__________________________________________________ ____________________
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Cant wait to compare data.

Boolit Mold
    I used to have a 'shooter grade' 1905 Hand Ejector in 38 Special. Dated to the late 1920's. I removed the original grips and saved them, then put a pair of surplus WWII Model 10(?) grips that I refinished lightly with Tru Oil and recut the checkering slowly and carefully. I rounded the tops off of the grips to a half circle right around the medallion and they came out great. It was a good, sturdy, inexpensive piece to use until I was dying for a stainless 357. I traded it in and bought a cheap stainless Rossi with a 4" barrel. The Hand Ejector used to ride in an old SD Myres floral carved holster I picked up somewhere, good times...
    Take a kid or neighbor hunting or shooting!
    Backstraps make great trophys.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mommicked View Post
    I used to have a 'shooter grade' 1905 Hand Ejector in 38 Special. Dated to the late 1920's. I removed the original grips and saved them, then put a pair of surplus WWII Model 10(?) grips that I refinished lightly with Tru Oil and recut the checkering slowly and carefully. I rounded the tops off of the grips to a half circle right around the medallion and they came out great. It was a good, sturdy, inexpensive piece to use until I was dying for a stainless 357. I traded it in and bought a cheap stainless Rossi with a 4" barrel. The Hand Ejector used to ride in an old SD Myres floral carved holster I picked up somewhere, good times...
    Im hoping to be able to find a holster for mine, although it would appear that im going to have to make one.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by psweigle View Post
    Im hoping to be able to find a holster for mine, although it would appear that im going to have to make one.
    I have a couple J frame 4" holsters in the spare holster box, I'm not sure how loose they would be on an I frame though...

Boolit Master
    Im not sure either. When I get the gun home, I can measure it and see.

Boolit Master
    Picked up my "new to me" shooter grade 1903 HE. Cant wait to shoot it. Its very "worn" looking, but the funtion seems to be good. Plenty of rifling and the bore isnt all messed up.

Boolit Master
    From the information I gathered, it shipped some time in 1912. I managed to get a box of lead round nose bullets, so if time allows, i'm going to get to test fire it today.

Boolit Grand Master
    In my circa 1924 Regulation Police a double round ball load with the top ball seated just a little past the the midway point and lightly crimped over 2.0 Bullseye gets 720 fps. The two balls hit less than an inch apart at 25-30 feet and in effect are like shooting a one inch bullet at the target increasing my hit probability a little bit.

Unlike a single ball load, a double ball approximates standard bullet weight and hits to the sights.

The RCBS 98 SWC does about 800 fps over 2.5 of Bullseye, generating a little less pressure and velocity than more deeply seated variants. The 313492 “semi wadcutter wadcutter” of 88 grains gets around 830 fps with the same charge and is my favored “field” loading for the little pistol. This has accounted for some number of cottontails and 13 lined ground squirrels, most under 50 feet but one shot on a rabbit was 25 yards.

It is great fun to use to chase down Missouri yard possums and stops them quicker than a 22.

All this from the 4 1/4” barrel. I also find favor with WST and the RCBS 98 wadcutter at around 750 fps, which is my “do not exceed velocity” with the deeply seated WC. I usually use 2.0 Bullseye with the RCBS WC for around 710 fps. This is mild and more accurate than I can shoot it.

This last load also shoots well in my 1919 Colt Police Positive. I am not a fan of any but good metering powders for 32 Long loadings and avoid large flake powders for the most part. With but few exceptions metering is unreliable to the point of throwing squibby partial charges, which caused their discontinuance.

With a few very specific exceptions I am not a fan of Unique and Red Dot or similar powders of large flake granulation for that reason. Universal, while metering better, shows such terribly unacceptable velocity variation that it has my vote as “worst possible 32 Long propellant.”

Boolit Master
    I plan on using bullseye as i use it in a couple other loads. The first mold is going to be the lee 90 grain tumble lube, until i can afford an upgrade.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12