WidenersRepackboxLee PrecisionReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who likes 22 Short?

Boolit Buddy
    I have a high stander 22 short pistol that I have had for years. I haven't shot it in about 20 years maybe it is time to take it out.

Boolit Master
    I have a very old Stevens tip up that I shoot shorts in for grouse and such. It doesn't like the pressure of high velocity lr. I also use shorts in my Savage 22/410 as they are much more quiet than lr. A few years back a local Payless store was closing up and they were dropping prices 10% per week. I bought 6 bricks of Rem shorts for $12 per brick. They should last the rest of my days as I only use the for hunting. Yep, I like the shorts.

Given that we have LR loadings that duplicate the Short loadings, I don't see any utility in Shorts at all, unless you've got an old gun that is specifically chambered for them. Dead letter in my files.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    I have an old rolling block that is made for shorts. Excellent gun for trapped animals or also for quiet use in town. CCI calls their shorts "CB" rounds (conical ball) and we nicknamed the "CB" as "city bullets", because they could be used in the city discreetly.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

I'm using Rem golden .22 short hp for bullfrogs and fox squirrels from my Rem 581. We bought them as kids because they were cheaper back then and you coud get a coke and candy with the savings!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Banned
    My father was, ......well let's just say frugal.....
    So back when .22 shorts were cheaper than those really expensive and overpowered 22 longs - that's what he would buy. And those super powerful 22 long rifle cartridges, those were reserved for emergencies like charging lions and not to be wasted on mere target paper !

My grandfather had a single shot rifle chambered in 22 short, I can't recall the make. It was extremely accurate and a lot of fun.

We also had CB "shorts", which made even less noise than a 22 short.

Boolit Master
    I have shot quite a few squirrels out of back yard trees with 22 shorts , until the recent ammo shortage I always keep some CB short rounds for a single shot 22 just for yard work . You definitely need to know your drop with them little devils .

Boolit Master

Dad started graduated me from the BB gun to shorts in the "Ancestral" Remington 510. I remember being amazed at the upsurge in noise and recoil when we shifted to LR.

I had a perception at the time that short hollow points were the bee's knees for close range destruction on water-filled soda cans. I should probably see how that stacks up against my nearly 40 years of added book-larnin' and deeper acquaintance with the Scientific Method. . .

The S-L-LR-chambered Winchester 1890/1906/62A pattern guns are among my favorite screwing-around rifles because the feed system simply DOES NOT CARE what the cartridge length is. You can round up your collection of random, loose, spilled cartridges and go to town without worrying about what order they're lined up in the mag.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    Before any of us knew that shooting short cartridges in longer Chambers wasn't conducive to good accuracy, we used to use them to good effect on all sorts of happless critters. They were 55˘ per box of 50. Longs were 65˘ and Long Rifles were 75˘. Hollow point LRs were 78˘ . Their explosive power was the thing of legends. Those were the days! That extra 20˘ per box for the LRs would buy 2 bottles of pop!

Boolit Master

When I grew into my first rifle (Rem 514) I was only able to afford .22 shorts. Usually Rem Kleanbore and I thought they were as accurate as any on the market. Shot numerous bricks of Kleanbore, winchester super x or wildcats, Peters and anything else I could find. Brick of Kleanbore in 1958 was $5 and I bought most of them at the grocery store. What happened to those days?

Boolit Grand Master

All us guys who have a Beretta Minx!!!! I usually keep a carton of shorts on hand just for the minx. I also use them in my Remington/Browning short rifle. When I was a kid I shot a lot of them as they were cheaper, more bangs for the buck(Really just a quarter) .

Banned
    NJ (but usually somewhere east of the east coast)
    Trappers are always looking for the shorts

Shorts were nice for shooting in the back yard. Quiet enough they wouldn't alert the neighbors and if there was a ricochet off the grass, they wouldn't go through the fence...

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    i have always liked the little shorts. i have a little rg 22short that my stepdad carried in his pocket. doesnt get shot much but may take it out soon.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterAZ View Post
    I saw CCI 22 Short CB Caps there too today. They also had some 22 Long (not LR), I didn't get any though. I'm not really sure what the difference is, maybe just the velocity I suppose. I was able to get a couple more 100 packs of the 22 Short Target this afternoon. They work great.
    The cb longs use the 22LR case not the short case. They use the same bullet and charge but the longs do not leave a mark like the short but at the same place a LR case will that way the LR does not hang up like it may do if the short is used.

Hope that helped.

Super Moderator

I might have to get a box of the CB Longs just for grins...They had them.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    As a youth I'd give Mom the money for a brick of them and she'd get them from Montgomery Ward . I shot a bunch of them while the neighbors were at work ... city living is a pain ain't it ?

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Stanley View Post
    As a youth I'd give Mom the money for a brick of them and she'd get them from Montgomery Ward . I shot a bunch of them while the neighbors were at work ... city living is a pain ain't it ?

Jack
    Those were the days. I spent a summer with a cousin in rural Maine, about 1956 or so. If we had 50 cents between us we'd walk to the little crossroads store to buy .22 ammo (probably shorts) for his flimsy little single-shot rifle. We were all of 11 years old. Every boy had a rifle. You needed one to defend against the mosquitoes. Big as sparrows, but they weren't good eating.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    Shot shorts grpwing up, they were cheaper,at first. Now I like them but it's because I like my M241 rifle and it's short only. In the other applications I just use a good subsonic long rifle. More flexable than the short in my world anyway.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    Those were the days. I spent a summer with a cousin in rural Maine, about 1956 or so. If we had 50 cents between us we'd walk to the little crossroads store to buy .22 ammo (probably shorts) for his flimsy little single-shot rifle. We were all of 11 years old. Every boy had a rifle. You needed one to defend against the mosquitoes. Big as sparrows, but they weren't good eating.
    If that's all the bigger they were we wouldn't have bothered shooting them. The ones here could carry off cows! Dad had us kids shooting them through the eyes since that was the only way to make sure you got a brain shot. The coyotes and coons loved the carcasses.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast