RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationWideners
Load Data
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who likes 22 Short?

Super Moderator

Who likes 22 Short?

I was at my local Sportsman's Warehouse and saw that they had some CCI 22 Short, they are marked Target 22 Short, 29 grains @ 830FPS. I picked up a box on a whim, and finally got to the range to try them. I was very pleasantly surprised! Both my Winchester 62A and my OM Single Six loved them. Very, very accurate in both guns. Very quiet report also, I'm thinking that these would be the ticket for backyard skunk/coon eradication. I'm going back this afternoon to see if I can pick up a couple more boxes of them. Anyone else like 22 Short?

I started my 22 rimfire shooting back in 1962 using 22short hollow points. I used them for squirrels for years. I finally switched over to 22lr when I got into a place where longer shots were available.
    They are quieter than lr shells. I have taken as many as 4 squirrels from the same tree before they realized I was there.

That is another thing Remington screwed up. Back in the 80's they made a 22 short hollow point that was deadly on most any game in Florida. I think it was after Reagan got shot , they stopped production..

Sure do, but more for fun than for serious target shooting.
    I have a couple of old "tackle box revolvers" chambered for .22 short only that make them a must have.
    Some Walmarts carry the Remington Golden high velocity .22 shorts @ 1095 FPS which are about as loud as a .22LR.
    But the target shorts are often more accurate, depending on the model.

That is another thing Remington screwed up. Back in the 80's they made a 22 short hollow point that was deadly on most any game in Florida. I think it was after Reagan got shot , they stopped production..
    CCI makes a .22 short high velocity hollow point @ 1105 FPS.
    Target Sports USA & MidwayUSA shows it in stock.
    Last edited by arcticap; 09-15-2018 at 04:02 PM.

Boolit Master
    I keep a Remington 511 by the back door loaded with shorts. Just dispatched a skunk last week. Many varmints fall to them.

Shorts and Longs aren't as common as they once were. Given the chance, I'll stock up on both.

Boolit Buddy

Have a revolver that only shoots shorts. Hardly ever see anything but lr in any of the stores here. We used 22 shorts back in the day at hog killings. Drop them with no squeal, great uncle always worked up the heads, would sort the lead out of the brains and have them with eggs for breakfast. Killed a lot of tree rats with them.

Boolit Buddy
    I read somewhere recently that shorts are getting phased out. They are already getting hard to find here in Oz.
    One of our club members just bought a target pistol chambered for shorts and he is worried he bought a lemon.
    I guess it could be rechambered. Its a semi-auto.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Your post brought back a lot of memories. When I was a kid, back probably about 1960, all my Dad wanted us to hunt with was 22 shorts. After all, whiny opened th flap on a box of 22 LR, there was a printed warning, "Danger Range 1 Mile". The only time we were allowed to use LR (until we got older) was when we'd go shoot at targets and he brought his Winchester semi-auto - all it would take was LR.

Shorts worked just fine for us and we took plenty of squirrels and rabbits with them. When we started hanging fox, we were allowed to use LR . . . go figure. LOL When woodchucks starting to become an issue on the farm, he had no problems with us using LR. I used my Dad's old 1915 Stevens "Favorite" and all I shot in that was shorts.

When the "shortage" hit, those that were hunting for LR seemed to walk right by the shorts. I can remember going tin to a Sportsmen's Warehouse up in Tucson and they had NO 22 LR - of course folks were PO'd about it. I walked over to where they normally were and they had some CCI shorts - 100 packs - and I thought I would be limited to one box of 100. The clerk told me I could get as many as I wanted as no one wanted them and turned their nose up at them. IIRC, I bought about 8 or 9 boxes that were left on the shel. They worked just fine in my 22 revolvers and my Heny lever gun.

Personally, I have no issues with them at all . . . they all put holes in cans and paper.

When I was a kid, I also used to use "CB Caps" for such things as big game gopher hunting . . . I have no idea if they even make them anymore? IIRC . . . the brand was "Eley"?

Super Moderator

I saw CCI 22 Short CB Caps there too today. They also had some 22 Long (not LR), I didn't get any though. I'm not really sure what the difference is, maybe just the velocity I suppose. I was able to get a couple more 100 packs of the 22 Short Target this afternoon. They work great.

Im a fan of the CCI HVHP shorts.
    Its fun to just load up my BL22 tube magazine with somethibg like 21 rounds and go off hunting rabbits and possums
    There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences.
    – P. J. O’Rourke

I have some old box of shorts.do not use them much.Because they cost more then the lr. So I just use lr now and found a deal on target sports on some and got a case. Now I am set for a long time now on 22lr.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

When using shorts, you need to be sure and clean the chamber of your rifle( assuming it will also shoot LR). You can build up a fouling deposit in the front part of the chamber and it can make feeding and extraction of LR difficult.
    I know many people who don't clean the chambers of their 22 rifles and only use LR. They don't want to disturb the "seasoning" of the barrel. This is fine as long as all you shoot in the rifle are LR.
    If you switch back and forth between shorts and LR it can be an issue.

Super Moderator

One thing that surprised me about these 22 Shorts is that my Old Model Single Six is a bit finicky with 22LR ammo. It's not nearly as finicky with the 22Mag cylinder. These 22 Shorts shot so well that I really don't mind spending a little more for them.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    When using shorts, you need to be sure and clean the chamber of your rifle( assuming it will also shoot LR). You can build up a fouling deposit in the front part of the chamber and it can make feeding and extraction of LR difficult.
    I know many people who don't clean the chambers of their 22 rifles and only use LR. They don't want to disturb the "seasoning" of the barrel. This is fine as long as all you shoot in the rifle are LR.
    If you switch back and forth between shorts and LR it can be an issue.
    Yeah, I'm aware of the issue. My solution is a little JB Bore with a nylon brush. Cleans it right up. I don't let it accumulate...I think that is the biggest problem. Thanks for the reminder though.

Boolit Master
    I like shorts also. Only problem around here is there usally a lot more than lr. The 22 short cb caps are fun to shoot but expensive. Most people when I was a kid used shorts only.

Growing up squirrel hunting with my 22, that my dad didn't know I had bought. I'd walk out to a friends timber about every Saturday morning, after a Friday night football game. I'd shoot 22LR because they were cheaper. Steve had to shoot shorts because his Rem. was for shorts only. We both used solids. For a tune up to squirrel hunting, Steve had an uncle right out of town and the dump also was over run by rats. Shot Jerry's 22 shorts because he thought they were better and didn't make so much noise. Didn't find so much different except the price. Haven't seen them for sale in years.
    Got a lot of squirrels but so did Steve.
    Rob

Boolit Master

I used to pick up pop bottles along the road at my Grandmothers house and turn them in for the deposit. 10 cents would get me a box of shorts and I was set for the day. Good memories. I still have that rifle too.

Banned
    Personally, I like .22 sort HP for busy-tails, as they (out of a long rifle barrel) make little noise & therefore are stealthy.

I've taken, on occasion 5-6 Fox Squirrels, while remaining seated under the same pecan tree.

yours, tex

When we were kids we would pool our money for 22ammo. We were shooting rats and plinking on
    city dump. Shorts were about .25 and LRs close to double that. Most kids had single shots, I had a
    1897 Marlin which shot them fine. It would hold about half a box.
    We used short hp for squirrel and poaching bull frogs. Shoot a frog with a LR and it with get away.
    Short HP is like hitting them with a rock, much better than a gig.
    I recently bought several thousand shorts and 1000 of the are CCI HPs. Haven't shot any of them yet
    wouldn't have bought them but they were cheaper than bulk LRs.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast