WidenersInline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anyone Else Ever Find A Gun In The Safe They Forget They Had?

Boolit Master

I found a S&W m&p shield 40 the other day while I was putting in the one I had just bought.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master
    Not me, but our club's past president said he had so many handguns he ended up selling a bunch of them on consignment. A few months later he bought a few guns, thought some of them looked familiar, and, sure enough, on checking the serial numbers found he just bought back some of the ones he had sold.

Boolit Master
    I found a Win M92 in 44-40. I thought it might have been stolen or I left it at the range. Still have and will sell it.
    Rich or poor, it's good to have money.

Boolit Buddy
    Not me, but my brother. There is an old shed behind what used to be my grandparents house that had a lot of junk in it. He was working on cleaning out some of the junk in there and was throwing stuff on a burn pile. He picked up an old black plastic carrying case and was about to throw it on the burn pile when he realized it was far to heavy to be empty. This case had been sitting in the shed as long as he can remember and never thought anything of it. So he opens in, and inside was a 12 gauge pump shotgun in excellent condition. Who knows who put it there(I assume my dad), or how long it has been there.

Boolit Buddy
    Found in the top back, of one of the safes, my Grandfather's 32 auto pistol, that he brought back from WW1. It is a Vesta in an old leather holster. Forgotten completely about it. Took it out, and gave it a cleaning and oil.

When looked like Hillary was going to win in 2016, I gave an assortment of shotguns, rifles and handguns to my three grandchildren in custody of their parents. The number was about 50. I wanted them to have gun, if the libs actually took over the country.

I still have plenty of guns, but sometimes I can't remember what I gave away and what I still have.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Grand Master

Yeah, I have. Back in I think the 90's a friend had a FFL. There were a ton of things being imported and I bought several things that I had little interest in except that they were cheap. Broomhandle Mausers, P-38's, Lathi's, Inglis Hi-Powers, ect. They were wartime production and in good enough condition, but the finish was rough like wartime stuff can be. There were a few European police trade-ins too, like a Walter P-7.

Boolit Buddy
    I just noticed this post and thought, what nonsense! How does one just 'forget' a weapon? Then I remembered the No4 Mk1 Enfield which recently surfaced while inventorying my rifle chest, which I have no memory of acquiring.

Boolit Master

I don't recall the safe, and I have no idea of how many guns are in it....
    I thought that was the question....
    I have bought guns that I though I wanted, brought them home, and put them in the gun rack right beside the gun I had already bought and forgot I bought.
    Or sometimes I get a deal I just can't pass up like the Savage Axis in 243, new in box being firesaled at a dealer for under $200 -
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    Just ordered some brass for my 40cal as I didn't have any. I was just looking out in the garage for something and found 1,000 sealed in mylar bags.
    I did exactly this with 357 Sig brass...

Boolit Master

Yeah, couple years ago I came across an old Ruger 'Standard' .22 (fixed sights, black eagle grips, 4" barrel) in the back of the safe that I'd have sworn I sold/swapped sometime in the late 1990s. Two original Ruger mags and the owner's pamphlet with it but no box. Last week, I needed an ammo can for a batch of .357 reloads and the first 'empty' I pulled out of the storage cabinet was 1/2 full of .30-06 Ball in Garand clips...no label taped to the can so I've no idea how long they've been there. Then, this afternoon, was fishing around in the same cabinet for a box to store some small parts and found a set of RCBS .308 dies in one of the old square, red plastic, Lee boxes. They've been used but dunno where they came from or how long they've been there. But, I did actually take my car keys off the belt clip this morning and remembered where I laid them down when I ready to leave the house!!

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Buddy
    Yes, guns I forgot about among other things! LOL!!!!!

Boolit Buddy
    My Gunsnith is retiring and recently called me to come get two rifles he never got around to.
    Records show that I took them to him in 2009 and 2010. He lost his Mother, Sister and his 30 year old son in successive years and he never quite recovered. He had a heart attack two years ago.
    Glad they are coming home, but I had to ask him what they were; I completely forgot about them.
    Got-R-Did.

Banned
    I lost the keys to the gun safe, who knows what's in there. I had them a couple of months ago and now? All I can think of is I had them in the pocket of a pair of jeans with ripped out knees that I pitched.
    I am not going to destroy the cabinet or hire a locksmith till I think this through really well.
    Ken

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123