RepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
WidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Else Ever Find A Gun In The Safe They Forget They Had?

Boolit Master
    found some that were stashed and I forgot about.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by am44mag View Post
    The day I find a 629 that I don't remember owning will be the day I admit that I have too many guns, lol.
    That could be possible.

Boolit Master

Never a gun but I found a mold that I forgot I had purchased. I had wanted a 45-70 for some time. I come across one at a suitable price and purchased it. I went through my dies and I found I had purchased 3 sets of 45-70 dies over the years in anticipation of owning one.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    The work loan does not appear in family vocabulary.
    I assume you meant "word"? Lending and borrowing can sure be problematic, I really hate to do either. I once loaned a bicycle to a friend who was going through a tough time and had no transportation. It was a nice bike, not a junker. I made sure she knew it was a loan and I did want it back eventually. I also stressed that she HAD to store it inside, even though it meant bringing upstairs into her apartment, because if she didn't, it absolutely WOULD get stolen, in her neighborhood.

Next time I saw her, maybe a week later, the first thing she says is, "Remember that bike you gave me? Someone stole it. I bought a bike lock at the dollar store and chained it up outside. I can't believe someone stole my bike!"

Yeah, I don't lend stuff out unless absolutely necessary, or it's something I can do without.

Boolit Master
    Was going through my reloading dies and found 2 sets of 35 rem dies and 2 sets of 30-40 dies. I bought some of the large rubber maid lockable tubs when we moved from NY to Louisiana. Was going through them to see what exactly I had squirreled away. Porter Cable router, one pad sander and two circular sanders, heat gun, small nail gun and a bunch of other stuff that hasn't seen the light of day since I don't know when. Frank

Boolit Master

Come to think of it I was cleaning off the top of my kitchen cabinets one day and discovered my Ruger .22 Mark II laying up there! How it ended up there is beyond me.
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

Boolit Grand Master

Just ordered some brass for my 40cal as I didn't have any. I was just looking out in the garage for something and found 1,000 sealed in mylar bags.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master

I've never found an extra gun in my safe, but about 3 years ago I found a roll of fifties and twenties amounting to 840 dollars, wrapped in rotten rubber bands that were so old that they were sticking to the money like it was glue.
    Never did figure out how it got there or where it came from.
    I don't think I was holding it for anyone, so, I put it back in the safe in an envelope. When I remember where it came from, I'll deal with it in the proper manner.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Banned

nope but was talking shot guns with my buddy and remembered id loaned my browning side by side 20 gauge to my dad about 20 years ago. Forgot all about that gun. Called my dad who doesn't hunt anymore to ask him to get it back and he told me he gave it to my brother in law. I told him to march right over there this minute and get it back!! Its back home today.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    My Dad passed away a while back and had mentioned a 218 Bee 4-5 yr ago ........or 15 , anyway my Uncle was complaining that brass was too hard to find for his and it was going away . I did a little research and found it's slim but sisters are readily available and just about that time it was on the shelf in several places also .
    So last week out of the blue for reasons I can't even begin to imagine , Mom says Dad had a 217 Bee ....... You mean a 218 ? .... Umm is that it ? Yes I guess it is . I don't ever remember having seen the rifle but then Grampa Al's 57' M70 and The white line ebony tipped 700BDL and MK X 98 may have over shadowed it . I know he only had 1 lever gun and it was 1 he had wanted for a very long time when I gave it to him not knowing how soon I'd get it back .......Mom says I can't have it until she's done with it . Cool by me it comes back with a 3 screw 5 5/8 BlackHawk that was never "fixed " . She kept my XD40 too......

With the recent transplant and Dad's stuff being ......... widely distributed in a poorly arranged manor ....... I decided that I needed to get busy with the cataloging of all of my stuff plus his stuff added as discovered ....... I found dies I haven't inspected . 2 BP daringers I didn't know I had although the one I'm sure is the one he "lost" . He lost a 60' Colts and a WRF also but I'm willing to bet they turn up before I'm done . There's so much stuff stuck in places I'd be surprised to not find the WRF stuck under a mattress .....

Don't know why I have 3 sets of 45-70 dies I don't remember buying the as new set . I know why I had 3 sets of 38/357 , I don't know why I have a CH 38 Special seater or a 4th set spread between the other 3 boxes . More confusing is why there's a Lee sizer in with the chrome Lyman 7×57 set . Where did all the collet type rifle FCDs come from ? I know over the years I've sold , traded , and given away at least 6 sets of 44 mag dies and thankfully I didn't find anymore of them .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Yeah, it happened to me. I was cleaning out & arranging my gun safe when I found a rear compartment. I opened it & found two Colt Pythons, a 4" & a 6", S&W mod 19 4" & a Win mod 70 Safari grade .375.

Then I woke up....

Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

Boolit Master
    I have a NIB Williams peep sigh for a Winchester 94 that I don’t remember ordering. Todd

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jdfoxinc View Post
    no. I've hate some disappear into the black hole in there, only to re appear after i gave up finding them.

/\ /\ /\ this /\ /\ /\

Boolit Master
    Funny, I was thinking of starting a similar thread some time back. But I didn’t think that there would be any takers.

I reckon I came down with CRS (can’t remember sh-stuff). I’m guilty of new discoveries myself and find it perplexing.

It’s not always the safe either. About a year ago I was digging behind the seat of my truck and came across a Win. Model ‘97. Not only did I not recognize it, I have no idea to this day how it got there. The bad thing was it was in a leather scabbard which allowed rust to set in.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Boolit Master

I had the opposite happen to me once, about 20 years ago; I looked behind the seat of my truck for a couple guns that were there, only they weren’t. That was a bad day, and ever since then I never leave anything of value in my vehicle.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hickory View Post
    I've never found an extra gun in my safe, but about 3 years ago I found a roll of fifties and twenties amounting to 840 dollars, wrapped in rotten rubber bands that were so old that they were sticking to the money like it was glue.
    Never did figure out how it got there or where it came from.
    I don't think I was holding it for anyone, so, I put it back in the safe in an envelope. When I remember where it came from, I'll deal with it in the proper manner.
    You were holding it for me for the S&W 10mm, remember?
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Master

I've never "forgotten" I owned a gun. But I've lost a few that I loaned to friends that died, and my plea's to have them returned were rebuffed by family members.
    The Police consider it a family matter, or in the case of a different City, a jurisdictional matter. It doesn't seem to matter that I have purchase receipts that have My Name, ID & the Firearms SN and description.

In California you CANNOT sell a firearm to anybody without going through an FFL for a full background check.

Two years after My Friend died of CANCER, I had to buy back my own UBERTI 1866 from another of MATT'S friends for the $600 bucks he'd paid MATT'S ***** wife for it. If I'd reported it to the Police, then MATT'S friend could've gotten into trouble.

And I just HI-Jacked this thread. Sorry.

Now that I think about it. I did stash a gun that I thought was loaned to MATT. It was found in the Computer desk tower cabinet by my Daughter. She was doing an upgrade to my hardware. When she was finished, she walked into the Living room with a RUGER New Vaquero in one hand & 6rds of .45COLT in the other. Boy did I feel stupid. I got a lecture from a 34yr old girl about keeping loaded firearms properly locked & secured away from children.
    Last edited by Walks; 09-20-2018 at 01:52 AM.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Elkins45 View Post
    You were holding it for me for the S&W 10mm, remember?
    Sorry, my recollection is not the same as yours.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Moderator Emeritus

About 4 years ago, while preparing for my gun auction, I came across two Ruger SRH hunters in 44 mag. I don't recall buying the second one? It looked NIB. I did shoot the other one, quite often in fact. In that auction, I sold all my 44cal guns.

Then, when I started selling 44 components, I was startled to find soo much new brass sealed in original bags...there was two 5 gallon buckets full...I didn't remember buying all that?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

Not a firearm misplaced but some extra components. I built a switch barrel 1911 in 45ACP and 400 Corbon (both government model slide setups) a few years back and recently added a Combat Commander 45ACP bull and barrel and slide to the setup for my ECD and put the spare 45 ACP and 400 Corbon slides and barrels on a shelf in one of the gunsafes for safe keeping...Or so I thought....a few months back I went to swap the 45 slides back for some Bullseye practice shooting and I couldn't find either Govt. Model slides in the safe....I tore the gun room apart looking for them and then went to the workbench in the garage where I work in my firearms and reload and tore it apart....still nothing....

Several months went by this summer and I was about to consign the missing slides and barrels to a bad cleaning day with the Mrs. (she can be a holy cleaning tornado sometimes) but this week, I went and checked the stack of pistol cases that I normally just store empty on a shelf after I purchase them....And in the Rock Island Armory case the pistol originally came were the two slide setups....

I then remembered when Jeff Brown from New Zealand brought his family to the States in April, we had a range day for him to do some shooting here with us and I brought the entire setup for him to shoot and especially the 400 Corbon wildcat setup. I must have left the spare slides in the case after I cleaned the pistol...
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast