MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
RepackboxSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Lee Precision Wideners

Thread: first PC attempt was a success, Smokes powders are great

Boolit Buddy

first PC attempt was a success, Smokes powders are great

After thinking about trying powder coating for years now i finally got off my *** and started gathering things up. Ordered a https://www.walmart.com/ip/48457981 Oster oven and some cheap #5 containers. A quick PM to Smoke regarding powder selection, he suggested clear, blue or red as good beginner powders, i placed an order with smoke and the powder & BB's arrived two days later. Pretty impressive shipping time and great customer support answering questions. PID controller and relay had not showed up yet so i punched a hole in the oven and fitted a lead pot thermometer. I dumped the BB's into the #5 container along with a a couple tablespoons of powder and 50-60 bullets 2 minutes later they were perfectly coated. The Oster convection thermostat was spot on, between dial & actual temp and maintained the temp within 10 degrees the whole time. I did put a heavy piece of steel plate in the bottom of the oven and that may have helped to provided additional mass to help stabilize temperature. 20 minutes later i had beautifully coated bullets, couldn't believe i waited this long to try this method out.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4038.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	31.7 KB 
ID:	227186Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4036.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	65.7 KB 
ID:	227187Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4037.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	30.5 KB 
ID:	227188
    Last edited by ShooterAZ; 09-15-2018 at 10:10 AM. Reason: language

Boolit Buddy
    Boolits are 230gr 35 caliber RD from NOE and Lyman #358315 I had converted to a hollow point mold by Erik @ http://www.hollowpointmold.com. I load the hollow pointed boolit in a 357 handirifle with great results and plan on trying the 230 Rd in the same rifle, got a wicked long throat so it should fit seated to the crimp groove.

Boolit Buddy

Know the feeling, had all my stuff for 3 years before trying pc. Keep reading about it [thanks to all the guys that did the testing and proved the system works] and one day tried it. Worked to easy couldn't believe I had waited so long to try it. Now have pc thousands of boolits in different colors stored in clear plastic nut containers. Have over 6000 waiting to coat this fall. Enjoy this part of the hobby almost like relaxing therapy for me. Waiting for cooler weather to burn some of them up.

Boolit Master

great job! get ready to explain what they are when other shooters see them
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Buddy
    Me Too.

My order of Clear PC from Smoke arrived a couple of days ago.

This afternoon I put some BB's in a 1kg Yogurt container, added 50 bullets and a teaspoon of clear powder then swirled and shook for 1 minute. When i removed the lid i was surprised how well they were covered by the powder. I put them in the oven for 15 mins and they came out great.

I have been using the Hi-Tek coating and wanted to try PC to compare.

I think the Hi-Tek is probably easier but takes more time. There is a lot of waiting for the coating to dry and they need multiple coats.
    I can turn out just as many or maybe more PC bullets in the same time but there is more work with a longer shake and placing the bullets on the tray.

I hope the PC bullets shoot as well as the Hi-Tek coated ones.

I prefer the look of the clear coated bullets. They look right.

Boolit Master
    Amazing how easy it is when you go with what works like a quality proven powder. Looks like you are already on the road for success and I suspect you are now hooked, so welcome to the club.

You will find this site has a pretty good support group for you PC addiction, but so far our it doesn't seem to be too successful in getting anyone over it.