Lee PrecisionWidenersLoad DataTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingPBcastco
Inline Fabrication Repackbox

Thread: A Howa Mini .223 flush magazine success

A Howa Mini .223 flush magazine success

So yeah, every body wants one and there seems to be a few who have tried to make flush bottom metal but I've only found one reference to cutting a magazine down and that was on the 6.5Grendal forum, which I seem to no longer be a member of.

So I decided to make a go of it and started with one of the factory 10 round .223 magazines:

First I disassembled the magazine which is particularly easy on these magazines:
    There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences.
    – P. J. O’Rourke

Right I'm committed now!
    I needed something for the floor plate to slot over and it just so happens there's this handy ridge right where it's needed, I measured down 3mm and made a cut all around it with a coping saw:

I then used a file with a smooth side to remove the remnants of the vertical ridges and also a small portion of the front of the magazine locking ridge:

There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences.
    – P. J. O’Rourke

This allowed me to slide on the floor plate, so then I tried it in the rifle and found I couldn't quite lock it into the rifle as the floor plate was a fraction too thick.
    By sanding down the face and trying it a few times, I found that by taking off about 1mm it allowed the magazine to lock in easily:

I assembled it as it was and found that it would hold 4 rounds and feed perfectly but of course I wanted more (for less).
    The follower proved to be the culprit, it was too long at the front to allow the 5th round to fit in and the back was again about 2mm too long:
    – P. J. O’Rourke

More cutting and sanding:

And that's it, as you can see it fit's much better and with a trimmed down magazine release lever as well, the rifle is actually comfortable to carry in the hands or slung over the shoulder.
    And if I'm parked up well I have two spare 10 round magazines I can always use

– P. J. O’Rourke

Finally, how does it function?
    – P. J. O’Rourke

Boolit Master

thanks, thats a neat idea
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master
    Good job! I like seeing home done projects that turn out well.

Nice Write-up. I lust after the stainless Minis you folk get there, but I guess I should be happy that the plain Jane complete steel barreled actions are USD$220 here. What twist rate does Howa offer there for .223 Remington?

Yeah I found my old blued/walnut Zastava wasn't coping with the amount of hunting I do so I decided to get a stainless/synthetic instead.
    Here in NZ they come in a 1/9" twist and factory threaded barrel so my next step is saving up for a suppressor (which are unregulated here)
    – P. J. O’Rourke