Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLoad DataLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: powder coating question

Boolit Bub

powder coating question

i can't get the darn powder to stick to the cast bullets for squat. i've tried #2 recycle, #5 and #1. The only way i've been able to get them to stick is to preheat the bullets in the oven but that makes them get too much coating and i have to RAM it thru the resizer.

I really want powder lube to work but fear i might have to stick w/ liquid alox or w/e.. anyone have tips/tricks/info on powder coating before i give it up?

What powder? Are the bullets clean? # 5 works the best IMO. Is it hot and humid? Lots of things need to be answered.

Also, did you read thru the PC thread at all?

Banned
    Are you using BB's? Pictures would help us see what might be happening.

I never used BBs and get perfect results. Preheat only like 4 min at 150 degrees or whatever lowest you got, also depends on amount of bullets. Elvis Ammo has good videos on youtube. You also need to make sure your bullets and powder is not contaminated.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

In the vendor sponsor section, under smoke4320, is all the information you need. First page.

Some powders coat thicker than others. For the powders that coat tick (Ford Light Blue etc) I use a 2 to one cut with harbor freight powder (Usually white or red). This gives me a nice thin coat on my bullets.

Banned
    There are many factors involved that CAN cause you to have hard to stick powder. The easiest CURE for the problem is to use Smoke's powder. Night and day difference between Smokes and HF.

Boolit Master

Preheating doesnt take that long. They only need to be warm, bit not hot to hold. I normally set the bullets ontop of the toaster over to pre warm.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master

Yes, Elvis Ammo AND Fortinecookie45LC on YouTube are both very knowledgeable. Of course there is a wealth of info here too! I started using "Eastwood" powder a lot more-way better quality than HF
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

It sounds like you have a humadity problem. The powder sticks to the boolits via static electricity. To humid no static.

You can try the black bbs. Or try for a powder coating gun.

I live in northern utah so very dry and i have no issues.

Try using a hair dryer on the bullets ral quick again. Remove moisture in the air.

See if that dose the trick.

Just don't let your wife catch you isong hers

Sent from my N9560 using Tapatalk

I use a heat gun instead of a hair dryer.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    If you go electrostatic, perfect boolits are automatic. haha. (spray em!)
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Banned
    Have any of you tried black pony beads? I bought some instead of black bb's cuz they are way cheap. They seem to work great. I use them all the time now. They make a noticeable difference when it is humid out. I bought a pack of them big enough for a big batch of boolits for under $2 at the local craft store.
    But again, when I use Smoke's (probably similar to Eastwood) powder they coat well no matter what the humidity.

Boolit Bub
    i have HF Red powder, but no idea if it's contaminated or not. agreed, elvis ammo and fortunecookie are both great channels.

it might be a humidity issue... not sure. i've tried airsoft BBs (not black ones though... mine are "zombie" white and grey). my toaster oven's lowest NUMBERED value is 250.

I'll try again this afternoon and see what i can get.. or pictures etc etc.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dimaprok View Post
    I never used BBs and get perfect results. Preheat only like 4 min at 150 degrees or whatever lowest you got, also depends on amount of bullets. Elvis Ammo has good videos on youtube. You also need to make sure your bullets and powder is not contaminated.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
    I reaaly like his youtube videos too

Boolit Bub
    I have had good results with Daisy steel sling shot ammo purchased from Walmart. A box of these mixed with bullets in a vibrator case polisher and they come out well coated. Be careful adding powder a little will go a long way so start with a small amount and add sparingly until you get the desired coating.

Boolit Master

From my very first experiments, HF powders have been marginal for me. Worked fairly well in my (modified) HF electrostatic gun but results were erratic...uneven thickness and splotchy coverage...using shake n' bake. After several tries, gave up and ordered powder from Smoke4320 and, after using it once, threw out all my remailing HF.

PC powders are extremely hygroscopic...they suck up atmospheric moisture like those desiccant packs everyone uses for shipping scopes, camera equipment, etc. If you've stored your powder in anything but airtight containers (like something with a gasketed screwtop) in a high-humidity environment, it's most likely contaminated. Smoke ships his powders double-bagged in good quality zip-lock baggies and still recommends transferring powder to a sealable glass container once the bags have been opened the first time.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Bub
    i figured out my problem. In short i was impatient. I was SHAKING the bullets in the container instead of SWIRLING the contents. When i realized it was static charge that would cause it to stick, i realized shaking it wasn't going to cut it nearly as well as "stiring" it. I got it to work w/ a #2 recycle and no airsoft pellets. I have a #5 now also.

But.. like an Anti-Bond (James Bond).. Stirred, not shaken.

Banned
    You are correct, the swirling motion/friction with the #5 (I've heard #2 but haven't tried that) creates a static charge. I have no idea why people are shaking the containers unless it is to get aggression out and ding up the boolits.

Many of the better powders don't require BB's or plastic beads.

If your toaster oven doesn't go down to 150° line a tray with boolits and set it on top of the toaster oven for 15 min to pre-warm.

Before you bake any boolits I would check and see how far off the temperature setting is on your toaster oven by using an oven thermometer.

You need to knock/sift/shake off all the excess powder before you bake the boolits.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast